Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm or 38S better to convert to 38SC?

taxil343

My goal is to buy an off the shelf open gun to shoot 38SC. I'm looking at one in particular that is only offered in 38S and 9mm. Would it be better to buy a 9mm gun and ream it or buy a 38S gun and fit a new extractor? What are the pros/cons of each one from a reliability and durability standpoint?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just an FYI - reaming a 9mm to 38 super/supercomp is not a great way to go.  The dimensions at the base of 9mm is larger so your brass will bulge.  If you want a 38 super/supercomp get a barrel that was reamed for it (with a 38 super Nonte reamer) and then adjust or change your extractor to run super or supercomp.   

I also like super... it's super. No BS head stamp sorting, plenty of room for powder. No cases getting logged/separated in the chamber. No dumb sideways Cmore or offset rts2. It cost more, yeah... but I shoot open. If I cared about the cost of shooting I'd shoot production, or BB guns, or rubberbands.

1 hour ago, BeerBaron said:

if one of those guns is a ck arms I can tell you their '38 super' models are setup to run super comp from the factory.

I like super comp in an open gun but there's no question 9mm is cheaper.

And if it's a Dvc their also setup to 38sc from the factory. Like beer baron said 9 is cheaper which is why I switched from 38sc to 9. You just need to decide which you want. There's probably a weeks worth of reading on this forum about the pros and cons of both.

now a 9 off the shelf that's runs on range brass is a whole different story 

Edited by Expflier
Added

3 hours ago, 3gunDQ said:

I also like super... it's super. No BS head stamp sorting, plenty of room for powder. No cases getting logged/separated in the chamber. No dumb sideways Cmore or offset rts2. It cost more, yeah... but I shoot open. If I cared about the cost of shooting I'd shoot production, or BB guns, or rubberbands.

yeah agreed. I think 38SC has some definite benefits. They are 'minor' but they are there. Like you I don't spend a shitload of time messing with brass. If I was shooting 9 I would have to do that OR live with less reliability (which is not acceptable). I have a massive range of OAL I can load to which means wide bullet choices and powder choices.

plus 38 SC is expensive but I recover better than 90% at practice and probably 80% at matches. I have shot some SC cases over 20 times. at that point the initial cost becomes moot. I can then shoot it and loose it without feeling the wallet pain. 

it stacks in mags better, feeds better, is straight not tapered, rimless and as you mentioned it seems be much less picky about the ejection angle/timing than 9 does. 

for you and me the cost to us is worth it for the small benefits of super. for many people it's not worth it.

Mainly they stack better in mags (really important in single stack mags) and are easier to resize properly in reloading. Whenever I switch from super to 9 on the press I get a small surprise at how much more effort is needed to resize 9mm.

it also means you can push-through resize if you so choose. 

Thanks for all the info. I went with supercomp for many of the reasons you guys have listed. The gun is also for my girlfriend and she felt that 38 had a slightly softer and flatter recoil impulse than 9 so that has a lot to do with it. Hopefully the gun will run out of the box but if not I'll be tuning the extractor or replacing it with an aftec. I'm sure there is plenty of info on those subjects here. 

1 hour ago, BeerBaron said:

cool. what did you buy?

I got a Trubor from Brazos. Bob is tuning the gun and mags now, should have it by the end of next week. Hopefully it will make for a nice "budget" open gun. Now I've got to get some dies and start learning about powders for comped guns...

6 minutes ago, taxil343 said:

I got a Trubor from Brazos. Bob is tuning the gun and mags now, should have it by the end of next week. Hopefully it will make for a nice "budget" open gun. Now I've got to get some dies and start learning about powders for comped guns...

Should be nice.  A basically solid gun refined by a pro.  

Yeah I suggest grab a set of lee dies (get the 4 die set) and some 3n38. Its expensive powder but powder is still one of the smallest costs in a round. So it makes sense to use the good stuff. Use 115/121/124-5 JHP and some starline supercomp brass and you'll be well on your way. 

A 124gn jhp with 9.2gn of 3n38 @ 1.235 oal is a great load in my svi and ck open guns. 

3 minutes ago, js1130146 said:

It's in super/supercomp right? Hard to beat 3n38 in 38 super/supercomp IMO

Yes the gun is a 38 super, will be shooting supercomp. I have read a lot of good things about 3n38 and am a big fan of VV powders. I'm just a lowly production shooter so n320 is my powder of choice. I've also heard a lot of good things about WAC and can buy that locally. 

Just now, taxil343 said:

Yes the gun is a 38 super, will be shooting supercomp. I have read a lot of good things about 3n38 and am a big fan of VV powders. I'm just a lowly production shooter so n320 is my powder of choice. I've also heard a lot of good things about WAC and can buy that locally. 

WAC kinda wastes the case capacity advantage you have in super/supercomp, but it is a solid powder choice for major. Available and cheap.

17 minutes ago, BeerBaron said:

Yeah I suggest grab a set of lee dies (get the 4 die set) and some 3n38. Its expensive powder but powder is still one of the smallest costs in a round. So it makes sense to use the good stuff. Use 115/121/124-5 JHP and some starline supercomp brass and you'll be well on your way. 

A 124gn jhp with 9.2gn of 3n38 @ 1.235 oal is a great load in my svi and ck open guns. 

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty much set on PD 124gr JHPs so that's spot on!

Even without holes 3n38 would still be my choice for 38 super. The trubore has a pretty reasonable comp. 

if you start at say 8.8gn 3n38 with the 124pd jhp at 1.235 then chrono and test from there. So where around 9-9.2gn should give a power factor your after. 

Edited by BeerBaron