Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Budget 1-?x Scope for 3-Gun

JohnnyD

Soo...I was moving my Simmons 1.5-5x from one AR upper to my new one Saturday morning in a hurry....it dropped from waist height onto my concrete basement floor....bent the front of it up a bit.  I decided to give it a shot at the range that same morning as I had to go do some other testing anyways....well none the less it appears I killed it.  I bummed a laser bore sighter from a guy at the range and still couldn't manage to hit a 12x12" target at 25 yards after using it.

I was looking to replace it after this year anyways...but not to happy.  Sooo I'm looking for a new scope unfortunately in the $300 or less range.  ($350ish or so with mount).

Looking at Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x?  Save a few bucks and get the Vortex 1-4?

The couple ranges I shoot 3gun at max out around 100 yards, had I not just put a +8 tube on my M3k I'd consider shooting Factory with a red dot.

Any other scopes that have a good warranty and decent glass I should be looking at?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't mind a basic riflescope with a simple reticle and don't want to spend a bunch, the Weaver 1-3x is worth a look.  I got one on a 16" AR and it is plenty clear, holds zero,  and does exactly what it is suppose to do.   For a 170 buck scope I was very pleased.  

I have a Burris tac 30 that I picked up on eBay for around $200 and a strike eagle. The glass is better on the Burris but I like the 6x magnification on the eagle. The clubs I shoot at often have 300+ yard targets. 

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am currently looking at the following:

Weaver V-3 ~ $170.00

Vortex 1-4 ~ $180.00

Vortex 1-4 Illum ~ $250.00

Vortex Strike Eagle ~ $270.00 (found a deal locally for one new)

Millet DMS 1-4 ~ $225.00

Burris Tac30 ~ $275.00

Burris MTAC ~ $325.00

Will have to make up my mind here soon.

On that list, I've had the V3, DMS, & Tac30. The V3 is the best quality scope, but might not be suitable for the matches you shoot (distance, no illumination, etc.). The DMS just felt cheap, glass was mediocre, QC is hit/miss. The Tac30 had a huge reticle that I did not care for, but others do. The bdc feature did work. I hated the push button control for the illumination. The MTAC appears a better option. I'd suggest the Strike Eagle because of the price you're getting. You'll sell it eventually, & move up to a better scope, resale will be better on it. It's still in demand, & will sell quickly here. 

Be careful that you don't go too budget on glass. Scopes really matter, especially for the long stuff. If you can wait a bit for it to hit the shelves, the new Vortex PST Gen II 1-6 is a great scope, especially for the price. I got a change to play with one last fall, and it impressed me. 

23 hours ago, jon9116 said:

Now if you had the mula, kahles k16i would be a killer option on the other end of the spectrum!

Cmon man he said 'budget'.

JohnnyD I would consider the Steiner P4Xi if I were you.  Although that may be on the upper end of the cost spectrum of budget.

The MTAC reticle was a deal breaker for me, with the huge dots.  They may offer better reticles now.  The MTAC glass is pretty good for the money.  Just.... that reticle.    Big round dots while trying to shoot 10 inch round plates.... who thought that was a good idea?

Edit to add:

Just checked out the Burris website.  They do offer the MTAC with a decent reticle now.

Edited by Vespid_Wasp

I've used a Leupold VX-HOG 1-4 for years on a FAL.  It's taken a beating and still tracks well.  Glass is clear and has a lifetime warranty if anything should go wrong.  Reticle is simple and fast to use, with BDC marks that work well - I've made hits out to 500yds. You can find them for $200 on sale if you're patient, or $300 if you're in a hurry.

4 hours ago, Bamboo said:

The Leupold is a nice scope, and it is 250 bones with a $50 gift card as a bonus at Midway...so the actual cost is 200 bones.

To be clear - I don't like the fact that it's not a true 1x (it's a 1.4x on the low end) and that the center cross-hairs are so heavy.  It's not "perfect", but you're not going to get perfect for $200.  It has served me very well for several thousand rounds on a .308 gas gun, bounced on my back for three 10k biathlons, and survived countless barrel dumps and rough handling for years.  I just bought another one for a different rifle, and wouldn't hesitate to do so again.

The other bonus it has is that it is the lightest scope in this class I've ever seen:  8.1 oz.

Edited by Matt in TN

14 hours ago, Matt in TN said:

I've used a Leupold VX-HOG 1-4 for years on a FAL.  It's taken a beating and still tracks well.  Glass is clear and has a lifetime warranty if anything should go wrong.  Reticle is simple and fast to use, with BDC marks that work well - I've made hits out to 500yds. You can find them for $200 on sale if you're patient, or $300 if you're in a hurry.

They are nice, but that's what I just took off my gun. The crosshairs are a little too thick around the outside, I was loosing the smaller targets when transitioning past 75yds. They would disappear behind the thick posts if they were fairly close together. Other then that it was a great scope at a great price.

I had the Strike Eagle for a while and thought it was okay, I upgraded the the PST 1-4 and am glad I did. I like the smaller reticle in the PST, the Strike Eagle was a bit to big for my liking and the PST glass is clearer.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.  I have been kicking it back and forth and thinking I'm going to go with the Strike Eagle as I can get one for about $275.00 brand new.

So the question is mount, looking at the Burris PEPPER and Aero Ultralight SPR  They are both 2" offset and within about $5.00 of one another.  Is there another one I should be looking at?  Would like to use up some Amazon giftcards I have if possible.

36 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.  I have been kicking it back and forth and thinking I'm going to go with the Strike Eagle as I can get one for about $275.00 brand new.

So the question is mount, looking at the Burris PEPPER and Aero Ultralight SPR  They are both 2" offset and within about $5.00 of one another.  Is there another one I should be looking at?  Would like to use up some Amazon giftcards I have if possible.

I have the Aero SPR mount on two different rifles. One was used all last year with a Strike Eagle on my 3 gun rifle. It never drifted at all. Great mounts.