Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Budget 1-?x Scope for 3-Gun

JohnnyD

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vortex Strike Eagle and Aero SPR mount have been ordered.  Should have next week.

Hoping to hit the range in a couple weekends to get it sighted in and ready for the first matches in my area in the middle of April.

Thanks everyone again for their input.

Honestly <100 just use a red dot.  Even though you have a +8 on there, a red dot will be fine, unless your club is doing small 3-4 MOA targets at 100yards. Otherwise, go with the Strike Eagle.  I used a strike eagle on a $3000 JP all last season and it served me well.  I placed in the top at some good matches, so the optic did not hold me back.  The extra 2x over a 1-4x is nice in case you do ever decide to go shoot a bigger match.

Just needed to pick an optic for my daughter's new rifle and was going to go with a Strike Eagle until we got to see the MTac w the newer Ballistic AR reticle - much better than that red donut they also offer. I knew that the MTac glass was better so having a nicer reticle made it as easy pick

bfce56b624f05e71d59471e1f2397901.jpg

I owned a Strike Eagle on an American Defense QD mount.  I hated it!!  I sold it after one match.

1) The sweet spot for eye relief felt extremely tiny.  If I didn't mount it perfectly on my shoulder I was searching for the sweet spot.  That could have been addressed with practice, but I didn't like that.

2) Heavy as lead!  With that mount, I think I was adding close to 2 pounds to my rifle.  Now, I could have gotten a lighter mount, but the Vortex SE is a biggun.

3) I decided to stay with a red dot until I can afford real glass.  My 3-gun match around these parts doesn't have anything past 50 yards, so a Vortex dot works for me, but I have become a glass snob because I felt so burned by the Strike Eagle.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, toeheadAR said:

Is the Athlon Midas 1-6x outside of the "budget" definition at$520? I'm considering it. Abital has a nice affordable 1-8x which is similar to the Primary Arms scope and under $400.

It retails for under that. And the new reticle is in stock.

4 hours ago, optimator said:

I recently went from a Strike Eagle to a Steiner P4Xi. The Steiner can be found for under $500, and is light worlds away from the SE. Not that I hated the Vortex, but I love the Steiner. 

I was so intrigued by the P4xi that I ordered one to try.  It is awesome.  It's so close to my razor HD, I'm impressed.  It blows away everything in that price range.  The 1x is true 1x.

On 3/22/2017 at 9:11 PM, billdozer said:

Athlon. If they're making a 1-8 under $500, they have to be cutting corners.

Abital is making the cheap 1-8x, seems to be on pair with PSA scopes which is good quality for the price.

2 hours ago, toeheadAR said:

Abital is making the cheap 1-8x, seems to be on pair with PSA scopes which is good quality for the price.

Like i said if they are making 1-8 scopes that cheap, something is up. And its sfp. Your not gonna turn it up to 8x all the time, you'll lose to much fov. Your holds wont be right. If you're going 1-8 it needs to be ffp.