Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Live Fire Training.....

superluckycat

I normally work quite a few different skills in a 300 round training session.  I may do Doubles and Bill Drills at multiple yardages, Blake Drill, 4 Aces, El Prez, shooting on the move, etc.

I'm wondering if I'm trying to do too much and should concentrate on working one or two things.

What do you all do?

FYI:  I'm high C right now, been competing for 10 months.

If my next major match is a ways out, I usually break each live fire session into two parts that I want to work on.  One part being focused on accuracy (dot drill), and the other being focused on speed (bill drill).

If a major match is coming up, my live fire will consist of all match style shooting.  Might set up some harder targets (partial target with no shoots and wide transitions) and all shooting will consist of calling my shots at speed.

Edited by Frieday

I am working on having specific drills with specific goals.  Just going to the range and shooting drills without a goal I found to be very frustrating as I don't have any way to tell if I accomplished something.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new, so you get what you pay for...

In his books, Ben Stoeger says that if you don't have lots of time and unlimited bullets, to focus on very specific training goals.

According to him, you should have a goal when you get to the range, and should have a way to measure how well you did progressing toward that goal.

I got the impression that would mean doing more reps on drills that focus on a single item you want to improve.  See how you do "cold" and how things change as you warm up.  

I tend to do a drill for the first part of the session, then practice adding that skill to a short move and shoot course.  

Not that you should follow my example!

Focus on a couple specific things during each session. You want to identify the issue you are having, hopefully the are being worked on in dry fire. Then find the drills that represent your issue and work on them during live fire to verify that your dry fire is working.

Plus focusing on a few drill at one time will allow you to really focus on that drill and get more reps in to help diagnos any issue you may be having.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I normally do a dot drill to warm up then work on 2-3 drills at various distance something like: bill drill at 10-15-20-25, then wide transitions at 7 yards going left to right and right to left. Then finish with a few 4 aces.normally shoot around 300 rounds