Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sweet revenge and a teachable moment

Forensics Doc

Of all the things I hate (and they are many) one of the things that pisses me off most are people who knowingly take perverse pleasure in destroying other people's property.  I travel a lot and have spent quite a bit of time in Europe over the past few years.  It really ticks me off to see centuries-old buildings tagged or spray painted with graffiti, traffic signs done likewise, and property intentionally damaged.  It's the same here in the U.S.

Much of my travel occurs during the week, particularly mid-week when our garbage is picked up on Wednesday morning.  Given that the trash is picked up between about 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m., most folks put their garbage out near the street the previous night.  Being the morning person/insomniac that I am, I usually get up around 5:00 or so and put it out then.  For the last several times while I was traveling my wife put the garbage out the night before only to find that some jerk had bashed the garbage can with a car sometime during the night and scattered the garbage down the hillside.  She could see the tire marks leading to the garbage can.  Once may be an accident, but three times made it intentional.  The garbage can itself was a Rubbermaid, and just pushing it back into shape was easy.  But the thought of it...

Anyway, after the third time I figured I'd do something about it.  I went to Lowe's and bought a bag of cement and a piece of PVC pipe.  In the place where we put the garbage can I dug a hole about three feet deep with a posthole digger, set the PVC pipe in the middle of it, and surrounded the PVC pipe with concrete.  Next I went out and bought an identical garbage can and cut a hole in the bottom of it.

On Tuesday evening I took a 6-foot I-beam I had lying around, set in in the PVC pipe, and slid the garbage can over the top of it.  I then filled the garbage can with concrete blocks and went to bed.  Sure enough, about 3:00 a.m. I heard a loud crash next to our driveway.  I jumped in my clothes and went out to find a lime green Mitsubishi Eclipse wrapped around the garbage can.  The bumper was pushed back into the radiator, which was pushed back to the block and leaking coolant everywhere.  The hood was curled up and the left front wheel was cocked about 45 degrees.  Prior to impact it must have looked much like one of the cars from the  Fast and Furious movie.  You know what I mean--tires set out 6 inches from the wheel wells, racing stripe, a tailpipe with a diameter you could put a grapefruit in, and lowered so much that if he had run over a contact lens it would have taken out the oil pan.  It didn't look much like that now.

Just climbing out was some greasy-looking kid (18 years old, no less, so that makes him an adult, not a juvie.  Big difference with the court system), and two other sketchy-looking buddies.  I had already called the police who were there within minutes.  The driver was obviously drunk as were both of his buddies.  The driver said, "Well, damn, this didn't happen the last time!."  The officer asked me what the concrete blocks were doing in the garbage can, and I told him that it was just some building materials I was planning to throw away later.  He just smiled.  When the officer asked for his proof of insurance the driver said he didn't have any.  Awwww.  Now ain't that a shame!  He'll have to pay to fix his own car.  

The driver was arrested for DUI, no proof of insurance, and a few other things.  Unfortunately, there was no proof that he had intentionally run into the garbage can, so he wasn't arrested for that.  His two buddies were arrested for public drunk, and the car went away on a hook.

It was an awful lot of work but more than worth it.  Revenge is best served cold, and when combined with a teachable moment is the best of all outcomes. 

I love it! I have no qualms doing the same. Back when it used to snow we made a snow man out front and kids drove all the way up in the yard to run it over.

Next snowfall I put 2x4's with nails all over the yard and drove a fence post in the ground the day prior to build the snowman around. I guess they were local and saw the prep work because they left the next snowman alone and never drove in the yard again!

Edited by Sarge

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

^^^^^   

Meh... I know people who filled their mail box with concrete after having so many destroyed by dickheads with baseball bats in cars. Broken arms were the result. Screw vandals!!!

That kind of stuff is nothing new.

Back about 40 years ago kids were mowing down rural Ohio mailboxes with their cars.

Late one evening some punk stole his older brothers car and had taken out more than a dozen mailboxes when he came across my uncle's.

This mailbox had been in place for many years mounted ontop of a piece of 4-1/2" drillpipe.  I remember my uncle complaining how hard that stuff was to cut so instead of cutting it shorter he found it easier to dig a deeper hole (probably a good 4' deep) and cemented in place.

The punk and his friends hit the mailbox, totaled out the car and left it sit.  They were picked up by the sheriff's department a little later hoofing it back to town cross country.

The judge sentenced them to repairing all of the mailboxes damaged plus six months of church attendance.   

There was a CSI episode similar to this many years ago.  I love hearing creative ways to get back at those a$$holes. Let's face it, if they weren't doing illegal things in the first place, the vandals would not be in the position they are now in.  Nice job on giving them their comeuppance!!!!

• 1 month later...

Wow.... I understand your frustrations and therefore your actions...

But eh... what it the kid died? was it worth it then?  Good thing you don't live in Holland, cause you'd be in jail.

6 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

May be wrong, but I believe I've heard of American courts

condemning such behavior .....    :huh:

And it's still a good thing we don't live in Holland!

Is the OP in jail? Nope.

Thanks for the humorous read OP. But I think this thread belongs in the What I Like sub forum. Because I like when dumbasses get their just dessert. 

Edited by v1911

This Hate rant has turned into a discussion, which is beyond the bounds of the rules for the Hate Forum. Thus, it must be closed.Please review the Hate Forum Rules:http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8097[note: this is a generic response]