Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX Mag

Chevy

Get the NON slide lock version. Slide can lock prematurely sometimes when a few rounds are left. You can also damage ejectors by over inserting a mag on an open slide. Just learn to hit your scheduled reload points and you won't run dry

MBX lock back followers will not lock back with a round still in the mag.  When they lock back, the mag is empty.  Lock back followers reduce mag capacity by one round, which should not bother you if you are in a reduced capacity area.  I have both lock back followers (on springs) and race.  It only takes 30 seconds to switch them out.  BTW, the race follower will not lock the slide back with even a new, unmodified slide stop.  I have, inadvertently, used the lock back followers in a USPSA Match.  Fortunately, it did not bite me.  For you, I would recommend the lock back followers.  If you ever change your mind in the future, switching followers in inexpensive, and easy.

Added later:  while I really like the MBX mags, I question spending all that money for them if you are limited to ten rounds.  You could buy two regular 2011 mags for the price of one MBX.  The downside is you will probably have to tune the feed lips.

Edited by zzt

11 hours ago, Sarge said:

Get the NON slide lock version. Slide can lock prematurely sometimes when a few rounds are left. You can also damage ejectors by over inserting a mag on an open slide. Just learn to hit your scheduled reload points and you won't run dry

+1.

I have an mbx 170 for 38 super. I noticed since I bought it that if I load more then 23 rounds in it, it is extremely hard for the mag to click in place in my gun.  I have to really slam it hard to get it to stay. I was told from mbx that I had to wait for the spring to settle in a bit so I won't have that problem. I have used that mag for the past 5 months and still have the same problem. I even switched to a grams spring and follower and still the same problem. Does anyone else have this issue with mbx mags? As for my sti mags I don't have that problem and I can load them to about 28 or 29. 

38 minutes ago, ar15rick said:

I have an mbx 170 for 38 super. I noticed since I bought it that if I load more then 23 rounds in it, it is extremely hard for the mag to click in place in my gun.  I have to really slam it hard to get it to stay. I was told from mbx that I had to wait for the spring to settle in a bit so I won't have that problem. I have used that mag for the past 5 months and still have the same problem. I even switched to a grams spring and follower and still the same problem. Does anyone else have this issue with mbx mags? As for my sti mags I don't have that problem and I can load them to about 28 or 29. 

Your mags may simply be tight in your gun.

Take the spring and follower out and paint the top half of you magazine with machinists dye. Make sure it's the removable kind.

Insert the mag into the gun a couple of three times and then inspect it for any marks made by the magazine well, or frame. Look on the inside of the mag well and frame to see if any dye remains there.

High spots from the gun (not the magazine) can be judiciously removed with a Dremel tool.

Your local gunsmith can do it for you as well.

Edited by MikieM

I did try putting in the mag because I was told that it might be tight but if I load anything less than 23 rounds the mag slides in and out with no problem. It's just for some reason when I load 23 or more rounds that the mad starts getting really hard to click into the gun. 

I find the same thing with my MBX 40sw mags.  They vary from mag to mag.  Some will hold 21 and 20 reloadble (easily).  Others hold 20 1/2 and are only reloadable with 20 if you slam them hard.  I refuse to do that so I use 19 in the "tight" ones and 20 in the looser (color coded).  The same is true of all my big stick mags.  Reloable capacity is one less than claimed by MBX.  It doesn't bother me much.  For Limited I start with the higher capacity mag, and don't care how many the second mag holds.  For Open, I start with a big stick.  It never (yet) matters how many are in the second mag.

36 minutes ago, ar15rick said:

I did try putting in the mag because I was told that it might be tight but if I load anything less than 23 rounds the mag slides in and out with no problem. It's just for some reason when I load 23 or more rounds that the mad starts getting really hard to click into the gun. 

I wonder if the mag is expanding when being loaded with that many rounds.

The MBX mags are dimensionally larger than STI mags. I found they tend to stick in the gun rather than drop free. That said seating them were hard here and there. The cure is to round out the bottom inner lip area on the frame where the mag slides through. The MBX mag body pinches right there on an STI frame. The other thing I encountered was the MBX spring & follower were not to stable. The spring or the attachment thereof allowed the follower to roll around inside the tube. It also allowed the follower to slide forward and protrude past the magazine body. Ditch the MBX spring and follower for Grams. The mags just load and work smoother. And trim the lock back ear off. Slide lock on and open gun is useless and beats on the gun. Open slides are cycling much quicker than most and It slamming into the slide stop beats the slide notch and it rides on the bottom of the slide inducing wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

js, if the mags are new you have to condition them.  Load them fully and let them sit for days.  Then go back and push the rounds down with your mag loader.  If you can get another round in, do and let it sit some more.  After a week or so the spring will have taken a set and you should be able to load to full capacity.  Sometimes it doesn't work and you still only get one less.  My rule of thumb is when loaded to functional capacity, I can press the top round down into the mag by a least 1/2 cartridge diameter.  When there is that much slack in the mag you don't have to slam it home to seat the mag with the slide closed.

23 hours ago, zzt said:

.  My rule of thumb is when loaded to functional capacity, I can press the top round down into the mag by a least 1/2 cartridge diameter.  When there is that much slack in the mag you don't have to slam it home to seat the mag with the slide closed.

And you won't crack your poly grip frame at the magazine catch.  If you're running a metal grip frame......nevermind.