Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

having some trouble with loading 9mm and seater die

champ198

its been a while since I have loaded pistol rounds. im trying to get my dies set up to load 9mm. I have Rainer plated 124gr plated bullets.

I am having trouble getting the seater die set up properly. the dies are RCBS 3 die carbide TC set.

im not sure what I have done wrong but I can not get the bullets seated correctly. they are loose in the case to the point they actually turn in the case mouth.

I have tried to taper crimp them and that didn't seem to work either.

I am flaring the case mouth. am I flaring the case mouth too much? I messed with it for about an hour today and still could not get it.

I followed the directions in the instructions that were with the dies.

what in the world am I dong wrong.

I am loading all of these on a single stage press until I get a progressive but im starting to get frustrated with this

Are you running the brass through a sizing die first?  It sounds like the brass is not sized correctly before seating the bullet.  Your sizing die should be nearly touching the shell holder when the ram is in the up position.  Pictures of your sizing setup maybe?

yea this was after running the brass through the sizing die.

ran some cases through the sizing die then through the expander die then in the seating die.

im just trying to get the dies set up some im just trying to make up some dummy rounds so no powder in the cases.

How much bell are you putting with the expander?  You only need enough bell to seat the bullet without scraping the copper/coating off but even a large bell shouldn't give you enough to be able to spin a bullet.  What depth are you seating the bullet to?  

Edited by Pirate

Is it loose with different headstamps?

what is bullet dia?

how much bell are you adding?

never used expander? Could that be where error is coming from?

i had one case do same last week. I'm using Dillon dies.   I just dumped powder out and threw case away.

im interested to find out where error is?

Sounds like to me your sizing die is either not for a 9mm or it is defective. If you belled large enough to create this situation the case would not enter the seating die. I think I would double check the sizing die to make sure it is the right one, if it is you need a new one.

Edited by bowenbuilt

im gonna try and mess with it a little more here in a day or so.

maybe not using the expander die and see how that works.

I have loaded Rifle for a while and never had a problem like this before. not sure what im doing wrong

the Die is stamped 9mm TC

8 hours ago, champ198 said:

115gr Winchester White box was 1.158" so that was what I was starting off with for COAL

May not be part of the problem, but you really have to run The Plunk Test to see if 1.158" with the Rainier 124 gr will chamber freely.

Every time you change the bullet, it's a great idea to run TPT for that particular bullet.

Can you send photos of the expanded brass and your final product?

Sounds like the proper seating die, check the sizing/decapping die and see what it says on it.  As above, check the diameter of the expander/powder die at the bottom, not the belling portion.  Again, as above, the expander portion should be a few thousandths less than the bullet diameter.  Also, some brass is thinner than other brands, try using a 9mm Winchester case and see how that works.

Definitely sounds like a sizing issue. The case flare should barely if at all visible by eye. The case flare just flares the end of the casing. Does it look like a mushroom after flaring? If so that's too much. Regardless, if the case was sized correctly, even a big flare should hold a seated bullet. Take a spent piece of brass and push a bullet into it. Does it spin the same way? 

15 hours ago, 57K said:

Since you mention a 3 die set, are you seating and taper crimping in a single operation? If so, get a separate Taper Crimp die like REDDING's. IMO, it's as good as it gets and is better designed for flawless taper crimping. Also, when you go to 4 dies vs. 3, with the ram up with an expanded case in the shellholder. Turn the seating die down to where you can just barely feel it come into contact with the flare case-mouth. Then back the die out slightly, no more than 1/4 turn anyway.

yes the taper crimp and seating are all done in one step

ill try and mess with it a little tomorrow. my reloading stuff is at a different location than my house since the house is small

yes the taper crimp and seating are all done in one step

ill try and mess with it a little tomorrow. my reloading stuff is at a different location than my house since the house is small

It sounds to me like your seating/crimping die isn't set to to proper depth and adjustment. I do see how sizing or belling the case would have anything to do with your issue. The seating and crimping die should seat the bullet and crimp it in place.

I would thoroughly clean the die and make sure all parts are moving freely the way they are supposed to. Then I would back off of the seating die at the top and run my crimping die down till it touched the top of the brass and make adjustments with both from there.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, HHF2 said:

It sounds to me like your seating/crimping die isn't set to to proper depth and adjustment. I do see how sizing or belling the case would have anything to do with your issue. The seating and crimping die should seat the bullet and crimp it in place.

I would thoroughly clean the die and make sure all parts are moving freely the way they are supposed to. Then I would back off of the seating die at the top and run my crimping die down till it touched the top of the brass and make adjustments with both from there.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have done exactly that as far as backing off the seater plug die just touching the top of the brass more than once and it never seemed to change.

just to let everyone know. finally got to get back to the loading bench today.

started over from scratch took the cases that I had already sized and flared and ran them through the sizer die again, took the flareing die and just barely put a bit of flare on the case and then went to the seating die. everything managed to work like it was supposed to. managed to load up 200 rounds for this weekends shoot.

glad to get it all figured out.