Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2x scope

Swanny10

None that are doing very well, for 2 reasons. 2x sucks for close transitions. Second reason being the only reason to go to a 2 or 2.5 is to get 10x on the top side. 10x is too much magnification at 3 gun distances/ targets. Personally, for the targets typically found at matches and max distance between 500 and 600 yards, I think a 1-6 is the sweet spot. I started out with a march 1-10, thinking more is better. I am now using a Razor 1-6 on my rifle and a VX6 on a lightweight rifle I just put together.

The 1x scope is much better at keeping both eyes open (to move quickly and pick up the next target quickly).

We've had some discussion here lately that suggests that a really high quality 1-4x scope is much better for

most people than an inexpensive 1-8x scope.    So, also figure in quality of scope when deciding ...   :) 

8 minutes ago, RiggerJJ said:

Boy how soft we have become... The ultimate we used to use was a Trijicon 4x FIXED power and got along just fine...

:)

Until you run the same stage these days and compare the times! 

I doubt there would be much difference, the 1-4,6,8s just made things easier, not necessarily faster...

Its all about the stages. If the majority of the rifle stages were NOT in pistol bays, there would be little to no difference. When pistol stages are run with ARs ya need 1x Of some sort. But if the ARs are used for what they were meant for 1x would not be needed...

Edited by RiggerJJ

To amplify what Rigger said, I used Leupold 2x-7x and 2.5x-8x scopes for muli-gun matches years ago, as did many others, and did well.  Of course, the basic philosophy was that anything less than about 40yd was pistol or shotgun and from 40 yds out was rifle with lots of targets in the 100-400 yard range.    Shooting rifle in pistol bays requires a 1x or near 1x scope of some type.