Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IWB Legal for Production?

RickT

Most recent thread seems to be late 2015.  No way would a normal cant approach 3' from the shooter's feet and the gun is inside the belt.  I can see an RO being concerned, but unless the competitor exhibits some dangerous practice I can't see how IWB could be disallowed (in SC).  Anyone aware of an official position on this contrary to the current rules?

2 minutes ago, ZackJones said:

The official position is drawing from concealment is not permitted. Section 3, Holsters, item 3.

Is IWB considered concealed if the competitor is not wearing a cover garment?

I can run my carry gun OWB if I want shoot both my competition and carry guns in the same match (just spin my outer belt around), but  I do think this topic deserves some discussion.  Normal IWB (2:00 to 4:00) without a cover garment would defy the common definition of concealment.  If the intention is to disallow IWB then why not update the rules to address concealment and IWB separately?

22 minutes ago, RickT said:

I can run my carry gun OWB if I want shoot both my competition and carry guns in the same match (just spin my outer belt around), but  I do think this topic deserves some discussion.  Normal IWB (2:00 to 4:00) without a cover garment would defy the common definition of concealment.  If the intention is to disallow IWB then why not update the rules to address concealment and IWB separately?

The gun is partially concealed inside clothing unless you're wearing just a belt and tightie whities. :)

13 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

The gun is partially concealed inside clothing unless you're wearing just a belt and tightie whities. :)

The gun is also concealed to the same extent in a normal OWB holster.  Only race holster guns are naked:)  I'm sure Zach will get the rule clarified and be done with it.

"Competitors must not be permitted to commence a course of fire wearing:"  Section 5.2.7.3  " A holster with the muzzle of the handgun pointing further than 3 feet from the competitor’s feet while standing relaxed"

I interpret that to mean forward of the competitors feet. Thought being that if you are wearing a canted holster with the muzzle pointed to the rear aren't you breaking the 180 as soon as you holster your gun?

9 hours ago, ZackJones said:

Yes

(This was regarding whether not an IWB holster was considered "concealed" if there was no cover garment over it.)

It had never occurred to me that this might be true.  Considering that wearing a gun in an IWB holster without cover is considered "open carry" everywhere, plus (as someone has said) no more of the gun is concealed than it is with a regular OWB holster (since the holster itself covers the gun)---I would not have ever thought that IWB holsters were illegal in Steel Challenge.

Similarly AIWB, if not covered by an article of clothing.  Heck, variants of the AIWB position match where some people like to put their Open gun holsters.

How is that concealed?

12 minutes ago, conditionone said:

"Competitors must not be permitted to commence a course of fire wearing:"  Section 5.2.7.3  " A holster with the muzzle of the handgun pointing further than 3 feet from the competitor’s feet while standing relaxed"

I interpret that to mean forward of the competitors feet. Thought being that if you are wearing a canted holster with the muzzle pointed to the rear aren't you breaking the 180 as soon as you holster your gun?

That rule is from the USPSA ruleset, not the SCSA ruleset.

However, in the USPSA ruleset it also says, under DQ offenses:

10.5.6 While facing downrange, allowing the muzzle of a loaded handgun to point uprange beyond a radius of 3 feet from a competitor’s feet while drawing or re-holstering.

The 3-foot radius is literally that---a 3-foot circle around your body.  The holster can't have the gun angling out farther than that, and you can't let the gun point out farther than that specifically while drawing and re-holstering.  Keep it within that, and no, when drawing and holstering, you aren't breaking the 180 and will not be DQed.

That is USPSA, though.  SCSA has none of that particular verbage in their rulebook.