Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First big match, first DQ

Artyforty

So took the wife on vacation to Orlando and mixed in a day of shooting at the Florida Open. My first "big" match and was pretty nervous at the start but had settled down by our second stage.

By the time we got to our 8th stage things were a little backed up so had plenty of time to burn the stage in my memory, first array, three paper and a popper that opened the port which mail functioned on my first run, so I top off while they made repairs and felt good about stepping right back up and going (probably should have just let the next guy go), made it to second port and did pretty good on some long poppers, paper and swinger, went to move on when I realized I had forgotten a single target tucked to one side! Slammed on the brakes to step back and engage it when I here Stop! Apparently I 180 when I hit the brakes.

Well of course I was crushed but as I turn around to leave the stage there is Dave Sevigny, he shakes my hand and complements me on how well I handled it, then he notes I'm shooting an FN and wants my address so he can send me a little something from them, we then had a brief conversation about mags, sights, and how I liked my FNS.

Well all I have to say is what a super nice guy to have taken the time to approach me and take a little sting out of my first DQ and give me a cool story for the locals when they ask how the open went!

wow super nice of him!!!  yeah unfortunately mistakes tend to compound themselves, while smooth sailing tends to lead to further smooth sailing.  sounds like you handled it real well and you'll remember what (not) to do if the situation arises again.

unfortunately shit happens. this is a game. we will tend to push things to the limit when we compete. This game also has strict safety rules and when we push the limit and perhaps beyond we suffer a severe penalty which hopefully teaches us how to moderate our desire to push the boundaries a little. 

In the end no one was hurt and you'll probably spend a bit of time thinking about targets that approach the 180 or can be overrun etc. usually stage builders will add vision barriers to stop people being able to see a target from beyond the 180 but not always so we need to be cognisant of issues when we back up, or stop mid stride. 

the only way to take it is as a learning experience and move on. 

Nice that Dave Sevigny took time to give you the man equivalent of a hug. Sometimes we need one.