Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I bought a Czechmate

MrPostman

Well I finally took the plunge and bought a Czechmate. I sold my STI (yes I know...I must be crazy.... lol) that I shot the last two seasons. I did a bunch of work on it, tri topping the slide, doing a shelf cut on the rear, fitting some PT bits (Ambi safety and Steel textured grip) and cutting a dovetail for a racker. The slide on the STI was 11.2 oz after the cuts with the FP, FP spring, FP stop and standard extractor. Seems like it was 10.6 oz bare. Total gun weight with custom optic mount and RTS2 was 52 oz with no mag inserted. Pic below.

b650ac2981c6089b3835b4aa758c709f.jpg

I had an offer I couldn't refuse on it so I sold it and bought the Czechmate. I have been wanting one of these for a while now. I previously owned a Tanfo Gold Team and just prefer the ergos to the STI, although the Gold Team was a 38 super and I prefer to shoot 9 major instead, plus the v12 was pretty violent at 170 pf.

I any event I still had my CR speed holster that works for the CZ, and some DAA Racer mag pouches that I had to massage somewhat to make work. Basically to use them for the CZ mags you had to make the same mod to them so they can be used with Glock mags. DAA has a video on how to do this. Basically you remove 1mm from the tensioning spacer so they will fit. Work was done on my mill with sanding afterwards. Pics below.

979b1e2038aa80cabe8475d9dd7d9ab6.jpgbf90f4c96d5057b8e433404219fe7b29.jpg

Next thing I did was weigh the entire gun with optic and mag inserted and it weighed 52.4 oz. So basically the same weight as my STI maybe an oz less or so since I weighed the STI without a mag.

Slide weight is what surprised me the most, the Czechmate slide is 10.4oz with FP, FP spring, FP stop and extractor. In standard form the rear sight adds .8 oz.

e93195d31467a8b0943517de24c2cdd9.jpg0958499194cb899dd82c4a60e9a4cd61.jpg

I bought a TS upper in .40 S&W that I plan on making a sight tracker just like the one in 9mm that comes with the Czechmate. The Czechmate slide is shortened and tri topped so I will need to do this on the TS slide.

Slide does fit frame as shown in pic below.

a2d258e5adcaca29e42c15dbad7d472c.jpg

Slide weight of TS slide below.

e734dc1dc4d283fae2bccd701833efa1.jpg

Comparison of slides below.

23d8676c4949e58663e90d70f1538baa.jpg

4357d44a4df6ae05f5b0e33d5c1416f3.jpg

3cc748d9e80cc31df08a8a11f3abbbb7.jpg

I posed a question about the Hogue wrap around grip fitting the Czechmate and I can confirm that it does. It would just need to be cut on the bottom to clear the magwell and the ridge inside of both sides of the wrap around would need to be trimmed so the mags will drop freely.

I checked the barrel chamber and I can confirm that 9mm round nose profile bullets with OAL of 1.160 will spin when inserted, so I plan on loading to that length with HS6 for 124, and 115 grain pills. I may try some Longshot with 124s since I have some.

I had a DAA thumbrest lying around and I fit it to the Cmore mount by using a longer m4 allen head bolt that I used my lathe to cut down so it would fit, then I drilled the mount where the pin is in the rest with a 5/64" drill bit.

Also I heated the factory racker and bent it upwards slightly to keep my thumb from getting whacked.

f4074aaaf5c6effca6c3be70b629cb12.jpg98758dbf33b6507e141f5d07d6821a11.jpg

I plan on updating as I do more. Next up will be the bobbed hammer that CZ sells, I should have it next week along with the sight nut for the .40 TS Upper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Very nice work!

Thanks!

Garmil, I may go to a mini dot, not sure yet. I have a Gen 1 leupold Deltapoint with the 3.5 MOA dot that may find its way onto it. If I do go that route I will probably just buy the one CZ custom sells that has the multidot cut, I could make one but for the price it is a pretty nice piece of kit. I can still use the DAA rest on it if I choose, since all I will have to do is mark the mount the same way I did the Cmore mount and drill the 5/64" hole.

FYI it was very easy to mark, I just used the bolt to align the rest where it felt good, then I tapped the rest where the locating pin protrudes with a non marring hammer to mark the Aluminum mount, then I center punched the spot so the drill wouldn't walk and drilled it just a tad deeper than needed. It wasn't drilled all the way through. It ended up being very snug so strength shouldn't be an issue.

7 hours ago, MrPostman said:

I bought a TS upper in .40 S&W that I plan on making a sight tracker just like the one in 9mm that comes with the Czechmate.

What is a sight tracker?

Interesting stuff, thank you for the post and pics.

What is a sight tracker?

Interesting stuff, thank you for the post and pics.

Thanks!

A sight tracker is where the front sight is connected to the barrel instead of the slide, so it doesn't move much at all so you can stay focused on it easier.
On this gun the sight is mounted on what CZ calls the "Barrel Nut" which is just a thread on sight block shaped like the front of the slide so it appears to be one piece.
Scheumann sells "island barrels" for STIs where instead of a thread on sight block the barrel itself has a ridge that is cut for a front sight.

1 hour ago, MrPostman said:

Thanks!

A sight tracker is where the front sight is connected to the barrel instead of the slide, so it doesn't move much at all so you can stay focused on it easier.
On this gun the sight is mounted on what CZ calls the "Barrel Nut" which is just a thread on sight block shaped like the front of the slide so it appears to be one piece.
Scheumann sells "island barrels" for STIs where instead of a thread on sight block the barrel itself has a ridge that is cut for a front sight.

This makes so much more sense. I thought sight trackers were just a model name hah.

Worked up some loads for it today as well as sighting it in. Did some tests with, HS6 and Longshot.
Testing conditions:
Temp 75F, humidity 55 and 440 ft above sea level.

Best load by far was the 115 grain Xtreme HPCB, 8.4 grains HS6, CCI SPP @ 1.155 OAL
Made 174.48 PF averaged from 10 shots.
Shot three strings of two shot/double tap groups at 10 yards. All Alphas.
81727e23dd0dc0b41c14d14197bfcbec.jpg9ac62496806c14741995a60bac369678.jpg1faf5883f85fc82fe47724a437df39bb.jpg

2nd place load was 124 grain Xtreme HPCB, 7.7 grains HS6, CCI SPP @ OAL of 1.160. 10 shot average PF was 180.878, kind of on the high side, I will drop it down a few tenths and retest.
First two groups were Alphas but kind of spread out, last string was super tight.
de9df193ed668387bd17c2102e1e4bd9.jpg

Last place was the Longshot load, 124 grain Xtreme HPCB, 7.3 grains Longshot, CCI SPP @ OAL of 1.155. 10 shot average PF was 167.040. Hits harder in the hand and the groups were nothing to write home about, 4 Alphas and 2 Charlies. Plus the PF was low enough to be concerned not making major at a higher than club level match.

I did some slow motion testing and this gun is set up very well in stock form for me. I can say that I don't think I will be missing my STI since this one is such a pleasure to shoot. The compensator is very efficient, I don't see the need to cut any side bleeders or popple holes. Excellent factory built open gun, way better than the Tanfo Gold Team, and just a tad better than my STI was.

Very happy with it :D

Brass looked fine, primers were flattened and cratered on the 180 pf loads, the other two showed less pressure. The longshot loads had the normal looking primers in the pics.

180 PF 7.7 gr HS6 124 Xtremes
fe5f1411989a7082b05bbd45974903fe.jpg
174 PF 8.4gr HS6 115 Xtremes
9def621549eb9281f3cb575c867f4b44.jpg
167 PF 7.3 gr Longshot 124 Xtremes
32c2d715fa1a5eef33802e84338ecad9.jpg

Do the heavy plating xtremes group pretty well?  I suspect they're a good bit more affordable than jacketed, does the accuracy hold up ? 

They were pretty good considering that I had to use a heavy duty camera tripod as a rest with me sitting on the ground. I sighted it in at 25 yards and the 10 shot group was just a tad over 2 inches with the 124 grainers. I suspect I can do better off a proper rest at the range.

I did pull some shots from the slo- motion video to see how much gas was escaping the comp from the front.

First up was the 7.3 grain Longshot loads.

9cbb08ba4fe0ccfafe474d2c7ff0a7cc.jpg

Next was the 7.7 grains of HS6

689aec6f43f4ed4e8e38b28a4496951a.jpg

Then finally the 8.4 grains of HS6 behind a 115

dbe0d52b610260c4bd8bfa0fb3c1446a.jpg

60513a0fe912f54961b93c678dadf41a.jpg

Even though the 115s felt and shot the best for me it appears that the comp ports are limited to directing around 7 grains of powder upward and the rest escaping from the front. Just an observation based on the video evidence.

In my Czechmate I load 125gn Blue Bullets,  6.7gn Auno-Comp @ 1.150  170pf and 125gn Blue Bullets, 7.0gn N350 @ 1.150  169pf

Thanks for sharing your load data.

If I end up using the 124s I will drop down the charge weight of HS6 from 7.7 to 7.2 or 7.3, right now I am digging the 115s. I loaded some with 8.2 grains of HS6 to try. I think that should yield around 170 PF.

I may drop the charge weight even further and reduce the OAL slightly. Looking for the sweet spot :D

So how easy is the switch from open to limited? I've always liked that it came with both option but it doesn't seem like something I would want to do very often.

Edited by Garmil

So how easy is the switch from open to limited? I've always liked that it came with both option but it doesn't seem like something I would want to do very often.

Pretty easy, you just remove the optic mount, it is cut to where it should realign perfectly when reinstalled.

Remove racker, tap in rear sight.

Remove recoil rod assembly just like an STI with the reverse plug using a paper clip, then unscrew comp and replace with barrel nut/front sight block.

Update from more testing today.

Pulled 124 grain bullet from 7.7 HS6 load and weighed powder charge, came out 7.9 grains...must have mislabeled ammo box.

Also had an issue with the chrono, I shot my first load through and it read 1671 fps. I was like WTF? Anyway it turns out that when I put the camera mount for the tripod on the bottom it was turned so the chrono didn't unfold all the way and that reduced the distance between the two sensors which had it reading about 200 fps faster than it should.

I tested the lower limit loads for barely making major in my Czechmate.

7.3 grains of HS6, 124 grain xtreme hpcb, cci spp @OAL 1.155. 164.774 pf average of 10 rounds

8.1 grains of HS6, 115 grain xtreme, hpcb, cci spp @OAL 1.155 164.448 pf

Also tested the DPM recoil reducer and it really made the dot more wiggly than anything. I will try it with the .40 upper and see if it makes a difference there.

Did a bunch of double taps, .19 to .16 split times and I was able to get a bunch of A zone groups at 15 yards with this gun.

Out of 70 rounds I had 56 Alphas, 10 Charlies, 2 Bravos and 2 Deltas.

I think I can do better with the Hogue wrap around grip verses the factory Czechmate grips. The factory grips are too slim and they allow the gun to drift sideways on the second shot, shouldn't have that problem with the wrap around [emoji3]

You might want to try a thumb rest on it I have a DAA adjustable mounted by taking the middle cmore mount screw out, then putting the thumb rest on with a longer screw. Holds fine but you do have to take it off to take the slide stop out. No problem though, takes 5 seconds.

If you want to shoot in limited then try to track down a TSO thumb rest. It will fit in the frame cutout for the cmore mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, ano said:

you dont wanna be shooting to hot loads in this thing, its a great gun, just dont shoot 180PF in it. 

163-165 is where you want to be. 

Unfortunately major for open for USPSA matches is 165pf minimum So most shooters here will load to 170pf average as a minimum so as not to run into issues at the chrono stage.