Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why use xtreme hollow points vs. flat round nose?

nikdanja

If FRN's have a lead base (exposed lead), then using them in OPEN will

eventually clog up your comp, unless you spend time cleaning the comp,

often.

If you're shooting 9mm Minor, or .40, without a comp, it won't matter,

but there is the possibility that HP's may be more accurate in your gun.

6 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

If FRN's have a lead base (exposed lead), then using them in OPEN will

eventually clog up your comp, unless you spend time cleaning the comp,

often.

If you're shooting 9mm Minor, or .40, without a comp, it won't matter,

but there is the possibility that HP's may be more accurate in your gun.

Xtreme doesn't sell any bullets with exposed lead Anywhere they are all plated even the insides of the hollow points.

they do sell plain hard cast lead bullets also though.

at a match there are no pros/cons that will apply to everyone . One bullet may shoot better than the other in your gun.

My SVI likes 115 FP Berry's better than 115 RN XTremes.  Not sure if it was the brand or the shape it liked better.  But it could be the guy found the HP's to shoot better for him.  

Or maybe he is just burning it up because he has them?

Me personally I use HP Extremes for zippy loads.  If it is HP I know it is loaded hot.  Zippy loads for targets that need to get KTFO'ed.

I use the RN XTremes for my meat and potatoes rounds.  Because they are generally the cheapest style.

7 minutes ago, 57K said:

The cavity in a bullet causes turbulence that helps it stabilize better in flight. Maybe more relevant with Match rifle bullets, but it is why some claim better accuracy even in handgun loads.

Thats a new one. I believe the theories pertaining to hollow points and accuracy are, they allow for more bearing surface to engage the rifling and they many true hollow points have a concave base. And they are indeed slightly more accurate in pistols.

I have used the X-Treme HP with good results. But, I shoot mostly the HRN HAP and XTP when using a .38 Super Auto.  As 57K mentioned, the HAP just eliminates the skives (sic). Over the past several days, I have shot hundreds of HAP/XTPs in two of my .38 Super Autos. Accuracy is extremely good. When shooting a 9x19mm, I use the HRN HAP/XTP, Nosler JHP, and recently, the RMR JHP (a very good bullet). 

I use xtreme 180 gr RNFPs and find them plenty accurate in my 1911s.  I think that some gun/barrel combos are picky (I had a friend who's 1911 did not like xtremes (would tumble them no matter what he tried), so he just found a bullet that worked).

Jacketed hollow points are more accurate because one of the most significant accuracy factors are the "perfection" of the base of the bullet.

X-Treme HP bullets are all heavy plate conical base.  Personally, I have found them to be less accurate than the RNFP in 40 155gr.  I was shooting X-treme 165 HP HPCB bullets at the time, and it is possible my gun didn't like them.  You want the extra thick plating if you are going to drive them realy fast.

X-treme uses hard lead in their plated bullets, as opposed to soft, swaged lead for Rainiers.  Personally, I prefer the Rainiers, but they are more expensive.  They are also more accurate in my guns.

The majority of the ballisticians reports I have read essentially say the accuracy of a jacketed hollow point pistol bullet is due to the concentricity and consistency of the base.  I don't buy the cavity caused turbulence assertion.  A jacketed hollow point that has material inserted into the hollow point to close it up is just as accurate as the regular hollow point, and more accurate that any other hollow point, lead, poly coated or plated.

The second and third paragraphs were a response to the OPs question in the title, and not connected to the first.

Edited by zzt

I agree that the more square the bullet bottom is in relation to the sides of the bullet has more to do with the accuracy than any turbulence caused by a hollowpoint, especially at handgun velocities.

Edited by Steve RA

If ballistic coefficient is such a big deal in accuracy, as you appear to suggest, why do long line bullseye shooters shoot the Nosler 185 JHP (BC 0.142) instead of the Nosler 230 JHP (BC 0.162)?

Lower recoil is one reason, but not THE reason.  Accuracy is.  The Army Marksmanship Unit, Asym, and a bunch of really good bullseye shooters have determined that a Nosler (or Zero some say) 185 JHP at about 775fps is the cat's meow for bullseye accuracy.  If the 230 was as accurate, you can bet that's what they would be shooting.  I just got some 185 HAPs.  It will be interesting to see how they compare.

1 minute ago, zzt said:

Lower recoil is one reason, but not THE reason.  Accuracy is.  The Army Marksmanship Unit, Asym, and a bunch of really good bullseye shooters have determined that a Nosler (or Zero some say) 185 JHP at about 775fps is the cat's meow for bullseye accuracy.  If the 230 was as accurate, you can bet that's what they would be shooting.  I just got some 185 HAPs.  It will be interesting to see how they compare.

Doesn't your head hurt yet? Talking to some is like beating your head against a brick wall.

1 hour ago, 57K said:

Geez, buddy, accuracy is always a given. It's not that I would ignore that as being job 1, but since this is a competition oriented forum, I kinda hope that would be understood. Now, IME, the Nosler JHPs have been very accurate in .45, 9mm and some others. At 775 FPS which is pretty slow for a 185, PF is only 143 which is why I said recoil. That's down pretty close to 9mm factory ammo in terms of PF. Accuracy is job 1 in case I post somewhere else and don't make that absolutely. positively clear. But. the 230 at the same velocity is going to give 178 PF. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out when very accurate loads can be made with either bullet! Or, to get 143 PF from a 230, velocity would have to be down to 622 FPS.

Sarge, talking to some can also give the impression that they should read their load manuals more and post conjecture less!

Meh...Just because others have their own experiences doesn't make it conjecture. I have yet to find a loading manual that has data on 9MAJOR

K, if a 230gr slug going 622fps or 650 or 700 was more accurate than a 185 going 775fps for 50 yard shooting, that is exactly what good bullseye shooters would be using.  Bullseye shooters don't care about PF, they care about match grade accuracy, as in 100 10X.  If all bullseye shooters cared about was recoil, there would be no such thing as hardball matches, or Magnum Matches.  I will say that given two equally accurate loads, bullseye shooters will choose based on cost or recoil.

What you're saying is true the problem is practically it doesn't matter.  You can get scientific about this or you can shoot a few types of bullets and see what works best for you. The hollowpoint or best BC Isn't always going to be the winner.