Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New shooter, gun recommendations welcome.

zinger4040

Hi all, been lurking here for a while reading all I can. So I'm not a new shooter but relatively new to competitive shooting. Started last year and shoot either steel challenge or uspsa depending on my schedule. I shoot either a g34 or 9mm 1911. I'm c class in both disciplines. I'd really like to try limited but am stuck on a gun. Do I go the less expensive route and get an edge or save up for a really nice gun from a well known Smith. I know beyond doubt this is something I'm in for the long haul. 

I'm under no illusions that the edge is more than enough gun for me considering my current skill level. I honestly don't even know if I would appreciate the difference between an edge and a semi or full custom right now. Just not crazy about the idea of buying an edge now if I'm only going to eventually end up with a better gun anyway. Not a fan of buying and selling. Would rather buy once but open to suggestions. 

I'm assuming this is pretty common question so any advice you all can give would be appreciated

24 minutes ago, zinger4040 said:

I shoot  a g34. I'd  like to try limited

Can't you use the G 34 for limited?  (I'm not a Glock guy, but I thought you could

use the G 34 with hi cap mags for limited???)

Since you don't like buying and selling new guns, stick with what you have

and try that for a while - then talk to other shooters - maybe try their guns,

until you make up your own mind which you'd like to shoot.

p.s.  (Forget Limited - get into OPEN)   :) 

Jack does have a point about looking at open vs limited. I started shooting limited because I was shooting 3-gun and uspsa with the same setup. As far as shooting the g34 in limited, it would have you shooting minor pf and it's doable but it would put you at a disadvantage. 

ask and look around at your next couple of uspsa matches and sure folks will let you fondle their guns and even shoot them to get a feel for what would work for you.

brazos hp edge is nice in that they do a trigger job and go over the gun for you, not that there's anything wrong with a stock edge.

as mentioned, maybe skip over ltd and go to open for something completely different.

I agree with the notion of saving up for what you really want and davsco's advice to ask around and handle (maybe even test fire) other competitors guns is spot on. Be sure to also ask these guys what worked best for their investment and, just as important, what wasn't worth the money to get done on their guns. Also note what level shooter each is to the things done on their guns. Go ahead and shoot your Glock in minor until you decide. It'll give you good practice in planning stage strategy for when you make the jump.

Thanks for all the replies. My Glock is set up for production right now but it's easy enough to throw on a magwell and better trigger. Not against open per se, but kinda have my mind set on a 2011 limited gun. Keep going back and forth in my mind. One second I just want to go for the gun I want, the next I realize that I'm a c class shooter and would not know the difference and feel like an idiot for having such a nice gun with sub par skills haha. 

1 hour ago, zinger4040 said:

Thanks for all the replies. My Glock is set up for production right now but it's easy enough to throw on a magwell and better trigger. Not against open per se, but kinda have my mind set on a 2011 limited gun. Keep going back and forth in my mind. One second I just want to go for the gun I want, the next I realize that I'm a c class shooter and would not know the difference and feel like an idiot for having such a nice gun with sub par skills haha. 

I consider it being smart and buying only once :P

I made A class in Limited with an 'almost' bone stock Edge (bought used).  Had a trigger job done and changes the front sights. 

If in the future you start to understand what you like or don't like about the Edge, you can still have a custom or semi-custom build and use the Edge as a backup.

Since you stated you are in for the long haul, at some point your gun will break and you will wish you had a backup (I have broken guns right now and wish I had backups for them).

I'm in A class in Limited, nice guns help

BUT

Bullets down range make you better as long as the gun functions and has a good trigger in it

Almost any gun I get I work the trigger to MY TASTES

Talk to the guys you shoot with, find out who has back up guns and ask to use one at a practice session some time.

Pay for the guys ammo and buy him a steak dinner after!!!!

Then buy a good used edge or custom gun and have the trigger done to 2 -21/2 lbs and shoot the thing till it's worn out.

Then you will be answering these questions and be a high A or M shooter !!!!

good fortune with the quest for a new to you gun

On 2/19/2017 at 4:03 AM, zinger4040 said:

... Do I go the less expensive route and get an edge or save up for a really nice gun from a well known Smith. I know beyond doubt this is something I'm in for the long haul. 

...I'm assuming this is pretty common question so any advice you all can give would be appreciated

I was in the same boat. I ordered an Infinity limited gun, which will be my primary. I also recently bought an STI Edge, had a trigger job done and replaced the grip with the SVI Signature grip (same as what I had ordered, and also same insert for my holster), and an SVI short flat trigger (again same as what is on order). Until the Infinity comes (hopefully within the next 5-6 months) the Edge will be my primary, and it will be pretty easy to switch to the Infinity. After which the Edge will be backup.

In regards to saving up. It takes only $1K to get an order going with Infinity and you will have 12-15 months to save ;) 

Lots of good advice here. Thanks to all. 

Had the chance to shoot an Akai 6 inch gun with a stationary island barrel after my match this weekend. Wow was it nice. I helped with breaking down the match afterwards and a great offered me the chance to try it out back to back with his CK arms 5 inch gun. Both were nice, but I absolutely killed both stages with the six inch gun. They felt very different the island/stationary barrel really seemed to track better for me. I had never seen a gun like it. It wasn't a sight tracker, just the very end of the barrel had a stationary weight