Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slug zero the same with birdshot?

BoyGlock

There's not much you can do to "zero" a shotgun unless your using a dot sight and even then a smooth bore barrel will be close to poa at best.  Most people know where to hold on slug targets and shoot bird shot as normal.

4 minutes ago, BoyGlock said:

Yeah Im using dot sight and patterned my birdshot on it. Im curious as to some claims here that zero on slugs = zero on birdshot w/c in my observations is off. Wondering if Im wrong or what. 

since most shotgun stages at 3 gun matches are 95+% birdshot, i zero for those.  then, know where yer slugs go out to 100.

Thanks guys. 

Bit off topic but related. How accurate are slugs in terms of groupings from 25 - 50y or so? Is it capable of 100y accuracy? Birdshots are only within 30-40y, so I expect the same for slugs. At least to my limited knowledge. 

Furthest I've taken slugs was 180 yards on a full sized silhouette, it can be done once you figure out holdovers. In matches I've seen the same target at 100. Anybody expecting to place well has already practiced it and it's an easy shot. Everyone else misses by miles.

Well, the barrel stays pointed the same direction laterally. It's just a question of where your birdshot pattern is compared to where your front sight is vertically, then remembering that. Slugs are the more difficult issue accuracy-wise, so it makes sense to start from there. I'm certain that if you took a shotgun that hits POA at 75y with slugs to the patterning board, the pattern wouldn't be centered precisely where your sight is centered.

On 2/19/2017 at 8:15 PM, BoyGlock said:

Thanks guys. 

Bit off topic but related. How accurate are slugs in terms of groupings from 25 - 50y or so? Is it capable of 100y accuracy? Birdshots are only within 30-40y, so I expect the same for slugs. At least to my limited knowledge. 

2-4" groups at 50 yards, 1" groups at 25 yards. About what I get, anyway.