Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuning an Aftec Extractor for an Open Gun

RaylanGivens

I tuned my Aftec like the picture above and started with only a single rear spring...  Fit the firing pin stop per the instructions...  Shot about a thousand rounds and had a FTE jam...  Took the extractor out and it was really gummed up with crud...

I cleaned up the extractor...  Moved the single rear extractor spring to the front and added a second, new extractor spring to the rear...  The gun shoots better now...

I have been cleaning the gun and extractor after every time I shoot it now and it has worked flawlessly...  Probably excessive, but worth it compared to all the jams I have had in the past...

I'm surprised at how much gunk gathers around the hook of the extractor...  Don't know if it's because I'm using so much powder (shooting Open Major) or some other reason, but it is way dirtier than my Limited and SingleStack 19/2011 guns.

I did notice that when I filed under the hook of my Aftec that the metal seemed softer (easier to file on) than what I was expecting...  Don't know if that is what you meant in your post...

Hello: After having jams on 5 out of 7 stages on Saturday I started looking for a cause of the problem. The tension was good so I started looking further. I have two other 9mm/38 super comp extractors here to see what is going on. The head on the one I am using is narrower than the other two and the length from the hook to the back groove is shorter on the one I am using. I will try one of the other new ones to see if that is the problem. I am not sure if I have the correct one or the other two are correct? The packages all say for 9mm/38 super comp. Maybe I got one for a different caliber by mistake? I hope this is the problem since I hate having a pistol that jams. This is the first Aftec I have had this much trouble with. I will report back with my findings. Thanks, Eric

Bob Londrigan's (Brazos) extractor FAQ says that the distance between the breech face and the extractor hook should be .064".  He suggests using a 1/16" drill bit to check the distance.  That might help you determine which extractor is the right one for your gun...  

Or you could call up the Aftec people...  they should be able to give you the correct dimensions for a 9/38sc Aftec.

Hello: Still messing with the 9mm  Aftec extractors. One has a claw width of 0.1505" and the other 9mm is 0.1595". The distance from the back of the firing pin groove to the hook face is 2.333" and the other is 2.3375". I measured a couple of other 9mm extractors and they are all over the place as well. Going to try a EGW HD next and tune it the old way. These Aftec extractors are taking more time and causing more problems than they ever did before. I'll give them a call later this week and see what they say. Thanks, Eric

Hello , my few thoughts on extractors.  My last several open gun builds in 38 SC run with Aftec, except this years recent build having a standard one, for no special reason, both types work.  With the Aftec design, the confusion I'm reading about seems to concern tension or lack of, as applied to the case rim.  I my experience, the case or cartridge barley holds, if at all, against the breach face with an Aftec, and usually slips right off.  In other words, I experience very little tension as applied to the case rim, especially in 38 super comp and yes, I've slightly bent Aftecs and other times have not.  And I've done several things when experimenting with installation, some necessary, others I'm not to sure.  Anyway, 1. bevel the FP stop per instructions, but don't over think it or try to measure a clearance; 2. smooth out the sharp line at the bottom head area and lightly polish; 3. ( this is very important ) when installed and with the FP stop in place, check and make sure the extractor head is not hitting barrel face.  Of course the barrels have a extractor slot or notch but my experience has shown that with most barrels the Aftec (will) hit and I've always had to remove material from the forward head area.  4. Springs, I've always used both, no cutting, squeezing, omitting, etc. Also, someone above paid close attention and noticed the sharp lines on the neck area just behind the head area, and yes I too have filed those off to form a more rounded shape ( the old square peg in a round hole caught my attention ) in an attempt to increase tension.  However. I'm not sure that did much because past installs worked fine without filing.  Lastly ( sorry for being long winded ) my most recent extractor is a EGW heavy duty and the tension will NOT hold an empty case or cartridge against the BF and it works just fine.  " Tension " anyone ? 

Hello: If everything is working correctly you don't need a bunch of tension at all on the case rim. But when a product has worked for me for years and now is just not working well at all there is something wrong. Also when the product should be made the same and you measure a couple of them and they are different that tells you something has changed in the QC department. When the EGW HD extractor arrives I will let you know how that works out and how much tuning I will have to do to make it work. Thanks, Eric

EGW makes a fine extractor and should work great for you.   Not hard to tune at all, may need to blend in the behind if it protrudes which takes me longer than the actual tuning. 

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Kema said:

Does anyone have a picture of 9mm aftec? The ones I received from german selleri look very suspicious compared to my old one.

Hello: The Aftec extractors I have are different than the old ones. The one I tried to get to work is different than the other ones I have here. I put in a EGW HD one and the pistol is now working great. Maybe next week I will get in touch with Aftec and see what they say. They used to be great but now I am not so sure what has happened to them or I just got a bad one. Thanks, Eric

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello: I was trying to help a friend out with his extraction problem he had this past weekend. The gun ran fine except the last two stages. It was not extracting very well. I checked the tension and it was not great. I took out the Aftec and noticed it only had one spring in the back. I did my normal cut one coil off the front spring and reinstalled it. I was hand cycling it and then it did not extract. I looked into it to see what the problem was and found the Aftec sitting there. It broke right near the front spring pocket where it is uncut for the cap. I have never seen this before. I have a couple of old Aftec extractors with over 80,000 rounds on them and they are still going strong. This one looks like it was cracked for a while and finally let go. I will give them a call tomorrow to see what they say. Thanks, Eric

IMG_1098.JPG

Too many people want something for nothing, these days. You almost always have to tune the equipment we use. It's part of the game. Especially if your're going to be competitive.

Of the two Aftecs I've had I've only had to adjust one of them The first was in a CK, and was correctly tuned when I got it. The other was adjusted as per their (Aftec's) instructions. That is, a couple of judicious blows with a medium weight hammer. In both cases I only used the rear spring until a thousand, or so, rounds were through the guns. At that time I put the rear spring up front and a new spring in the rear.

I also took some very fine emery cloth and gave the bottom of the hook a good polish so that the incoming round would easily cam underneath it.

20 hours ago, MikieM said:

I also took some very fine emery cloth and gave the bottom of the hook a good polish so that the incoming round would easily cam underneath it

Great suggestion by MikieM. I did the same thing with my Aftec running in a 38sc. I also rotate the springs and have had great results over the past 40,000 rounds (knock on wood). Hope this helps.