Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuning an Aftec Extractor for an Open Gun

RaylanGivens

I have been having extractor problems with my 9mm Trubor Open gun...  The overwhelming advice I got was to install an Aftec extractor, so I did...  I carefully fitted the firing pin stop per the Aftec instructions...  After that, I installed the Aftec extractor with two of the small springs...  It shot well for about 150 rounds, then started to jam again...

Checking the tension on the Aftec, it turned out to be quite loose...  I was surprised to find that because I thought the two springs would provide plenty of tension...

I rounded the edges of the firing pin stop to make sure the Aftec could rotate enough to grab the case, but that does not seem to be happening... 

Is it ever necessary to bend an Aftec extractor to provide enough tension?

• 3 months later...

Thought I would post "the rest" of the story about my TruBor's extraction problem...

I was never able to get an extractor to work for more than a hundred rounds...  and never able to get enough tension between the extractor and the case...  After trying several different extractors, I gave up and drove over to the USPSA Optic Nationals in Frostproof so the STI techs could look at my gun...  After measuring the slide, the tech said that the extractor hole was too far to the right and to send it in for a warranty repair.

It took about four weeks to travel to STI and back...  They replaced the slide and the barrel...  Now I can finally get enough extractor tension and the gun shoots well...  Wish I would have figured that out a little sooner...

22 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Thought I would post "the rest" of the story about my TruBor's extraction problem...

I was never able to get an extractor to work for more than a hundred rounds...  and never able to get enough tension between the extractor and the case...  After trying several different extractors, I gave up and drove over to the USPSA Optic Nationals in Frostproof so the STI techs could look at my gun...  After measuring the slide, the tech said that the extractor hole was too far to the right and to send it in for a warranty repair.

It took about four weeks to travel to STI and back...  They replaced the slide and the barrel...  Now I can finally get enough extractor tension and the gun shoots well...  Wish I would have figured that out a little sooner...

Hello: I don't think you would have figured out that a factory built TruBor would have a slide that was not to spec since it is their job to make it to spec and also check it to make sure it meets specs. Somebody messed up in the QC department big time. Glad to hear that they straightened it out for you. Thanks, Eric

After getting my DVC back from STI warranty with the new 9mm slide/barrel, they had replaced the Aftec that I had in the old slide with an STI extractor and for about 4-5K rounds it has worked fine, gun has had no problems. Started getting the random FTE/stovepipe problems and I  bent the STI extractor a couple of times to increase the tension and for several hundred rounds all good, but the same random FTE started again.

I had an Aftec to install and worked on it yesterday and could never get the tension right even with 2 springs. Tuned the firing pin stop per instructions. Would barely grip the case. Had a Brazos tuned ejector also and installed that and got the tension perfect. Shot about 100 rounds to test and all good.

Wondering if the Aftec is bad or the slide is off?

gerritm

one would think that STI would at the very least check the slide measurements before trying to fit the barrel and or fit it to a frame... guess not. 

Edited by 3gunDQ

4 hours ago, gerritm said:

After getting my DVC back from STI warranty with the new 9mm slide/barrel, they had replaced the Aftec that I had in the old slide with an STI extractor and for about 4-5K rounds it has worked fine, gun has had no problems. Started getting the random FTE/stovepipe problems and I  bent the STI extractor a couple of times to increase the tension and for several hundred rounds all good, but the same random FTE started again.

I had an Aftec to install and worked on it yesterday and could never get the tension right even with 2 springs. Tuned the firing pin stop per instructions. Would barely grip the case. Had a Brazos tuned ejector also and installed that and got the tension perfect. Shot about 100 rounds to test and all good.

Wondering if the Aftec is bad or the slide is off?

gerritm

If your gun ran for four to five thousand rounds without any extractor problems, that would seem to indicate that the extractor hole was located correctly...  Plus, I could never get good extractor tension with any extractor...  and I tried four different extractors...  and bent the crap out of each one of them...

it's interesting. I have 2 aftec guns atm.

Both guns running just fine with 38 supercomp. both extractors are the 9mm/supercomp version (not the super version).

anyway it's been a few thou on both guns so It was time to add the second spring (move rear spring forward, add new one to rear).

at this point I thought I'd test the tension (hold an empty case, hold a loaded round etc).

well an empty super comp case will slide up under the aftec and has zero sideways tension on it. it'll drop right out. same with a loaded round. weirdly a 9mm will hold nicely as will a super (not comp) case.

but I thought: 'well maybe the aftec runs like this'. it does have plenty free movement and very stiff tension.

sure enough ran 300 through gun 1 and not a single FTF or FTE. 

but it has me thinking if I should clearance below the hook a little to give it more sideways tension against a supercomp case?

thoughts?

Hello: I run very little tension on my Aftec extractors. I have seen more problems with over tension than under tension of the extractor. I do radius the hook slightly where the round comes up into the hook. I also check to make sure the extractor is not touching the barrel. I cut one coil off the front spring and leave the back one alone. You shouldn't have to bend the Aftec like normal extractors? Thanks, Eric

59 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I run very little tension on my Aftec extractors. I have seen more problems with over tension than under tension of the extractor. I do radius the hook slightly where the round comes up into the hook. I also check to make sure the extractor is not touching the barrel. I cut one coil off the front spring and leave the back one alone. You shouldn't have to bend the Aftec like normal extractors? Thanks, Eric

My findings also.  I shouldn't say this, but I have AFTECs with 20K and work just fine..  I will add one bit of advice.  You do have to clean the entire extractor every so often and that includes running a pipe cleaner in the extractor tunnel.

22 minutes ago, bonglee0507 said:

File the body of the aftec so that the hook will draw closer to the rim of the brass

this is what I was planning. 

The hook already has been radiused and the firing pin stop fitted correctly (the extractor can move). 

Bear in mind I've not had any issue in 2,000 rounds with just the rear spring and 300 now with both springs. 

The gun feeds and extracts and ejects just fine. 

The one benefit I 'might' get from more depth/sideways tension would be a tighter ejection pattern as presumably at the moment the brass can move a little before it hits the ejector. 

Im loathe to 'fix' it since the gun runs so nicely but it also doesn't seem quite right... tough one. 

7 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

Mother of god, just buy a standard extractor and tension it properly.  These Aftecs are sad.

Hello: I run both types of extractors and have a spare. The old Aftec seemed to be better than the newer ones for some reason. Thanks, Eric

8 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

Mother of god, just buy a standard extractor and tension it properly.  These Aftecs are sad.

Lol. Actually they aren't sad at all. The 2 I have currently work fine I'm just puzzling over whether I should adjust it a little. 

I have a conventional extractor in another 2011 open gun and all 3 of my 1911s. Guess what? they work fine too. 

Both get the job done but I see a place for the aftec. No one is forced to use one (or read threads about them for that matter). 

I wanted some input from other users (particularly super comp) about their setup. That's all. :)

this is what I was planning. 

The hook already has been radiused and the firing pin stop fitted correctly (the extractor can move). 

Bear in mind I've not had any issue in 2,000 rounds with just the rear spring and 300 now with both springs. 

The gun feeds and extracts and ejects just fine. 

The one benefit I 'might' get from more depth/sideways tension would be a tighter ejection pattern as presumably at the moment the brass can move a little before it hits the ejector. 

Im loathe to 'fix' it since the gun runs so nicely but it also doesn't seem quite right... tough one. 

Aftec is hard to tune but once you do, it will last forever

Several of you have mentioned that it is hard to tune Aftec extractors...  What part of the Aftec tuning process makes it so difficult?

Is it critical to get the .005 clearance between the outside edge of the firing pin stop and the inside edge of the Aftec?  It seems like the firing pin stop could rotate turn and cause problems?

How do you measure the clearance between the Aftec and the barrel?  No room for a feeler gauge...  Pretty hard to see down there...

Clearance to the barrel you can't really measure you just need 'some' clearance. 

You can can take out the recoil system then re-assemble the gun. As you move the slide into battery you'll be able to see and feel if it's touching the barrel. You can also use some layout fluid/dyekem on the barrel to see if they are touching. 

The clearance to the fps is critical because for the front of the aftec to move the rear has to move. It kind of pivots at the spring cap. So when the hook moves out to clear the case rim the rear end moves in a little. 

The fps fps clearance is mainly achieved by bevelling/chamfering both sides of the edge that rides in the extractor slot. The fps itself still won't move as it's locked in by the channel on the left and by the channel above and below the extractor tunnel. 

On 6/1/2017 at 0:16 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Is this what you mean by radiusing the hook where the round comes up?

extractorhook.jpg

Edited by RaylanGivens

• 3 weeks later...