Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feb. 18 USPSA

Broski

MPSA hosted a local match at their range in Vinegar Bend, Al. Special thanks to TennJeep1618 for letting me try out his Sp-01 Shadow. Good thing too because I realized I let my pistol at home. Let me have it guys.

Stage 5: The M came from my 2nd shot on the 2nd target. Apparently went through the barrel. I didn't see the hit on the barrel, but oh well.

You stop on entry, find the first target in each position or port with your eyes, then bring the gun up. You should have the gun up in front of your eyes as you enter the position. This costs you easily 0.75-1.5 seconds per position.

You walk from place to place. I know it feels fast, but you're strolling. Pick up any handgun and film yourself moving about indexing on various light switches around a room, using your phone. Watch it. Do it again and again until it LOOKS FAST and doesn't just feel that way. You'll be shocked how much faster you can actually move.

What is going on with your grip? Do you have an injured weak hand finger? I see it sticking out in front of the gun but there's no good way to see it from the front.

Your weak hand is bored. It's not helping you soak up recoil. Use it. Crush the gun with your weak hand like you're trying to give it a Neanderthal handshake.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I'm not sure what the hell my grip was doing with that index finger.  Think part of my sluggishness is from still thinking about the safety times and trying to make sure I don't DQ. I do feel that things are starting to ease in that regard.

You mentioned grip pressure. How tight is it recommended to grip the pistol? I feel like I have a good grip on it, but not trying to strangle it either.

Two things. 

1. Try to strangle it.  The more you do in dryfire the easier it will be in live fire.  I'm a recent convert on this too.  Honestly it hasn't helped with my splits or my overall accuracy,  Where it has helped the most is on my first shot to second shot off of the draw and having more consistency in positioning and reloads.  

2. Moving faster shouldn't mean less safety unless you're moving faster than you can think.  Driving a course effectively means having a very intentional thought process.  It looks like you are kind of letting the course happen which is easier and often more fun, but try to force yourself to think faster just like you have learned (or are learning ) to make your eyes focus faster than they want to.  It's easy to see that you are trying to keep yourself from going too fast.  You won't need help going slow!!!!!   I'm consistently amazed at how slow I look on film compared to how fast I felt.  Make yourself move as fast as you think you can and then watch it.  It will still be much slower than you know you can go.

it's kind of hard to say much about your shooting when you aren't using your normal gun because it likely changed the way you perform