Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New .45acp Reloader Here

NateTSU

Hey guys I'm not writing off any powders from these results, all 3 loads shot well enough to justify further testing with bigger batches. I agree that I need to shoot from a bench to really test accuracy and take the human element out of it. 

On 3/3/2017 at 9:36 PM, NateTSU said:

image.jpeg

I have these same Bullets loaded for my G 21 using 5.3 gr of VV N 320. They are hit and miss on chambering. Anyone else have this issue? I use a light taper with a Lee Taper Die in station 4 of my 550b.

I think the problem is solved. I actually moved the Bullets out to 1.250 (did the "plunk" test in barrel) from the original 1.230 and ran fifty this morning in 50 degree temps. All cycled fine; fast and slow trigger pulls. The only thing I have changed in this Glock is the guide rod from OEM to a tungsten one. Thanks for the help.

Well test loads batch #2 are ready, I kept the Clays load at 4.1 and the Titegroup load I backed down .1 to 5.0. I ran out of brass so the 2nd round of Red Dot will have to wait. I upped the sample size to 25 rounds for Clays and 23 for TG because I ran out of brass. I will test these at the range off a bench/rest instead of out in the pasture. I don't have a chronograph yet but will eventually. 

image.jpeg

Edited by NateTSU

• 1 month later...

Thread Revival! 

I have been to the range several more times with these two loads,accuracy is about the same. Group sizes have shrank since I got back on my dry fire schedule. The load of 4.1gr of clays has the softer recoil, more of a push where the load of TG is snappy. I haven't chronographed the loads yet but my manual says both will make major PF. 

I don't use titegroup, but 5 grains of it under a 200gr bullet sounds like a lot. From what I've read it seems like red dot and
TG are pretty similar in charge weight, at least for 9 and 40.  I think it's probably a waste of time to compare perceived recoil without a chrono to know how fast they are going.

depending on primers, around 4.1 of clays made major for me with a coated 200gr SWC.

I followed the Hodgon load data, use 3.7 gr TG in my 9mm minor and like it. I have several pounds that's why I wanted to test it in my .45. My friend has a crono but he lives 2 hours away so it may be awhile before we get together. I picked up a pound of Clays at my local shop, it was made in Canada and the powder I was using to test was from Australia, load data is the same though. 

On 3/13/2017 at 5:00 PM, WesCummings said:

I think the problem is solved. I actually moved the Bullets out to 1.250 (did the "plunk" test in barrel) from the original 1.230 and ran fifty this morning in 50 degree temps. All cycled fine; fast and slow trigger pulls. The only thing I have changed in this Glock is the guide rod from OEM to a tungsten one. Thanks for the help.

I went in the opposite direction with mine. I am shooting the same bullets from a 1911. I could not chamber with the OAL at 1.250. Crimp was at .469. Got an improvement at 1.235, and much better at 1.220. Based on my measurements, I could go another .010 shorter and have the shoulder flush with the case. I am also going to be trying a higher magazine catch since my problems seem to be mostly from the first round in a 8 round magazine (barrel is throated and extractor is beveled and polished).

Was running 5gr of 231, and am going to try some over 4gr of Clays. Chronograph is arriving today, so I can post some numbers.

Be interested to see the results with the (Canadian) Clays as all I have and use is the Australian variety.  Have read that it might take another .1 grain or .2 for same velocity.  Be very interested in seeing your comparison results.

Short story (because I left my data sheet at home):

Weather: 65 degrees, partly cloudy with wind traveling from left to right relative to my shooting position.

200gr Blue Bullet SWC seated to 1.220 in Winchester brass with CCI large primer.

All shots were hand held but supported at the duct cover. The gun is a 5" Kimber Custom Target 1911.

5.0gr of 231 produced the fastest times and the largest group. The large group may have been due to subtle variances in my point of aim, so that should be taken with a grain of salt. The average velocity was about 868 fps.

4.0gr of Clays produced the slowest times and the smallest group. Average velocity was about 770 fps.

4.3gr of Clays produced times that I consider to be safe for making major. The average velocity was in the 840's and the standard deviation was 12. The group size was only slightly larger then what I had with 4.0gr of Clays, and was within 2" at 25 yards. The extreme spread was 40 fps. I am going to continue to work with this and make sure my quality control is up to snuff.

• 5 weeks later...

You may find if you bring your OAL to 1.245-1.25 the SWC will feed in the Colt. I use HP-38 or WW231 for a Bayou Bullet that is coated. Very seldom do I have a FTF. But I case gauge each round. Drop in drop out. Or I use Clays, not a lot of smoke if at all and barrel stays very clean with either powder. IMVHO

Mike