Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New .45acp Reloader Here

NateTSU

New 45 loader here, I have several years expirence with other calibers though. The pistol is a Ruger sr1911 and will be used for USPSA SS, falling steel and paper punching. I have a few general questions, first is small primer or large primer brass? Does it really matter? Second is powder choice, I have unique, hs-6, red dot and titegroup. Looks like most people like go for clays or bullseye. Last is bullet choice I was planning on using coated lead, 200gr RN or LSWC. I am buying sample packs of both to test accuracy and reliability. Is there anything else to look out for?

Thanks 

Nate

Titegroup works fine in.45, but is smokey with lead bullets. Large primer .45 cases are easily found, small primer .45 case are the scourge of .45 reloading. If you enjoy sorting cases, go for it. I hate it and wish small primer .45s weren't ever in my area.

NateTSU, I would suggest using Red Dot since you have some in your inventory. I have used lots of Titegroup with several styles of bullets, and it performs very well. The downside with Titegroup is that it burns very hot; therefore, in my opinion, it is not ideal for lead bullets. With either a 200 gr. LSWC or 200 gr SWC Hi-Tech coated bullet, I would go with WST, True Blue, Clays, Bullseye, or Ramshot Competition. I have just began using the later with a 200 gr. SNS Hi-Tech coated SWC with excellent results.

In addition, I prefer a larger primer because I have thousands of LP brass cases. Be that as it may, I will stick with large primers in the .45 ACP until empirical data proves that small primers are better.

On February 18, 2017 at 0:28 PM, ben b. said:

Titegroup works fine in.45, but is smokey with lead bullets. Large primer .45 cases are easily found, small primer .45 case are the scourge of .45 reloading. If you enjoy sorting cases, go for it. I hate it and wish small primer .45s weren't ever in my area.

Thanks, am planning to use coated bullets. I am buying large primer brass, that seems to be most commonly available.

I will give red dot a chance first. My brother in law has some clays that I can use for a test batch so I will try that as well. I will also try titegroup with coated bullets as suggested above, I have around 5 lbs left that I use for 9mm so it would be nice to only stock 1 main pistol powder. HS-6 data seems to favor lighter jacketed bullets so I will try that for a JHP load.

With  the powders you have on hand, I'd go with Red Dot, I have not had good results with Titegroup in the .45. HS-6 is going to be somewhat slow for the heavier .45 bullets. After you try Clays I think you will want to find more of it. It is about the softest powder out there with WST and Nitro 100 close behind. 

(I am correcting an error when I said fastest, it is the slowest, sorry for the mistake, thanks njl)

Edited by mont1120

12 minutes ago, mont1120 said:

Witht he powders you have on hand, I'd go with Red Dot, I have not had good results with Titegroup in the .45. HS-6 is going to be somewhat fast for the heavier .45 bullets. After you try Clays I think you will want to find more of it. It is about the softest powder out there with WST and Nitro 100 close behind. 

Huh?  HS-6 is the slowest of the powders he has.

Well I have new dies, a shell plate and some 200gr coated SWC coming from Blue Bullets. I have some load data for all three powders, now I have to wait on UPS. Hopefully I can get out to the range this weekend. 

I didn't make it to the range last weekend, my bullets delivered on Monday. I have my press set up now I just need to make some time to get some loaded up. Hopefully I have time to make it to the range this weekend. 

On Saturday, February 18, 2017 at 11:50 AM, NateTSU said:

New 45 loader here, I have several years expirence with other calibers though.

The pistol is a Ruger sr1911

first is small primer or large primer brass? Does it really matter?

Second is powder choice, I have unique, hs-6, red dot and titegroup. Looks like most people like go for clays or bullseye.

Last is bullet choice I was planning on using coated lead, 200gr RN or LSWC. I am buying sample packs of both to test accuracy and reliability.

If your a reloader, .45 acp is real easy.

I have not found a differance between large and small primers, but for competition I use large just to be safe.

I have used Unique and Red dot with excellent resaults.

My 1971 Colt 1911 only likes RN due to the steep feed ramp. The LSWC get a FTF every so often. My M&P FS runs anything.

Edited by rustybayonet

Well I got out and shot today. I shot 3 5 shot groups of all the loads and was pretty happy with the results. The load of Clays was the softest shooting and most accurate at about 2". The load of Titegroup was a close 2nd on  accuracy but had the most recoil, it wasn't terrible by any means. The Red Dot load was the least accurate at about a 3" group. Recoil was not far from Clays in my opinion. I will probably go with the clays load. Testing was done at 10yards standing. My pistol ran like a top with these loads, no FTF's or FTE's.