Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Far Do You Zero Your AR in 3 Gun?

BoyGlock

Depends on the match I'm shooting. For usually everything I'm running 50yd on optics and 5 yards on my 45 irons. Also I have my clicks dialed in for 25 yard on the optic if I need it on a close stage where there are difficult targets. Nowhere around here has any sort of distance, except the local club I zero at, and they don't run matches. 75ish is usually the max.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really need to run YOUR data through a ballistics computer and play with the numbers. It is also important to know your actual height over bore as that is a very important part of the equation. Play with different zero distances and see what you come up with. You can also use the computer results to zero your rifle at distances other than standard. Just like in the army, if you only have a 25 yd range you can still achieve a 50yd zero by knowing how high your point f aim should be above your point of impact.

15 hours ago, mattmann said:

I’m going to zero whatever my cmore c3 manual says but typically I zero at 50yds.

per c-more website: Ballistics are based on a 200 yard zero, for a 55 grain bullet exiting the bore at 3150 fps. 

have the razor hd with the jm bdc reticle which is pretty close to the c-more.  zeroed at 200, i'm pretty good at 300 but then have to hold a bit higher than the 4, 5 & 600 lines on the scope as i'm using heavier (69) slower bullets for the longer range stuff. 

per c-more website: Ballistics are based on a 200 yard zero, for a 55 grain bullet exiting the bore at 3150 fps. 

have the razor hd with the jm bdc reticle which is pretty close to the c-more.  zeroed at 200, i'm pretty good at 300 but then have to hold a bit higher than the 4, 5 & 600 lines on the scope as i'm using heavier (69) slower bullets for the longer range stuff. 

Does the heavier stuff stabilize more at longer range? I’ve noticed a lot of people shooting that over the standard 55gr I shoot mostly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Get on paper at 50 and confirm/fine tune at 200. Also keep 25 and 100 yard data in the event I need to dial down. I find I shoot faster if I don't have to think about holds at 200 and in.

Edited by J_Archbell
Misspelled a word due to auto correct

• 4 months later...
On 12/31/2017 at 7:55 PM, stick said:

200 yard zero

all of my ballistic data is kept in my phone using Strelok.  It's a handy little program to keep all of your dope.

My mil scopes (without a BDC) are all zeroed at 200

The scopes with BDC are zeroed at whatever range gives me the easiest to remember BDC.  I use Strelok to look at the BDC lines and holdovers with my ammo then I adjust the zero to give the best results.

I only have one BDC scope that I've needed to zero at something other than 200 - a Steiner.  The BDC works better at 180 yards, so that's where it's set.

• 3 months later...

Depends on what you have available, if you have 50, be darn sure you are stable, because a little bit off means a lot out further. If you have 100, that's great because you NEVER will have to hold low for small targets. 200, if you have it, is good too, but weather and conditions start to come into play more.

For 55gr you have a much flatter trajectory than 68-75gr, so what is going to help the most is accurate distances and ballistic calculations!

• 2 weeks later...

50/200 for me. I use a higher mount (KAC RB-1), so it ends up being a 50/225 or so. I can get reliable hits out to 300 knowing dot size for holdover, probably farther but that's all the range distance I have here for practice.

I have mine zeroed at 50yds. The majority of the matches I shoot are bay stages, the longest shots I take are no more than 100yrds. Having a 50yrd zero allows me to just hold the dot on the target and I know I’ll hit it as long as I do my part.

21 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Here is the real deal....how many of us can shoot a "real" group at 100 yards and beyond?  If the conditions are PERFECT I can at 100.  Absolutely not at 200 with any scope I own.  I'm gonna try a 25 yard zero this week and see how it works out....

Say what???

What do you mean by "Real" group. Im no Chris Kyle, but myself and other shooters I know can shoot a group out to quite a distance. I always prove my zero at 200yds and generally have groups at that distance in the 2"-2-1/2" range with my game AR. My Son the other day shot a 4" group at 400 yards (with his Savage 16). He was cheating though, as he was using a new SIG BDX scope with paired range finder. Now reaching out to 600-800 yards and beyond is another story. I often shoot 300 yd groups of 15-30 rounds to see how much stringing my barrel exhibits with heat. Usually keep 30 rounds in 5" at 300 with my game gun. Definitely a "real" group.

Yeah I've got a notebook full of sub moa groups shot at 100 and 200 yards with a 1-6x scope. With the lower magnification scopes I find it's critical to have an aiming point color that contrasts with both the reticle and the background and is sized to work with your reticle thickness. If your reticle entirely covers your bullseye you're not going to shoot as well. With high magnification scopes none of this matters much because you can see details so much better.

43 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

Yeah I've got a notebook full of sub moa groups shot at 100 and 200 yards with a 1-6x scope. With the lower magnification scopes I find it's critical to have an aiming point color that contrasts with both the reticle and the background and is sized to work with your reticle thickness. If your reticle entirely covers your bullseye you're not going to shoot as well. With high magnification scopes none of this matters much because you can see details so much better.

This has been my issue.  Reticle too big for the aiming point.  I'm gonna give the 25 yard zero a try tomorrow after my match and see how it works out.

2 hours ago, mpeltier said:

Say what???

What do you mean by "Real" group. Im no Chris Kyle, but myself and other shooters I know can shoot a group out to quite a distance. I always prove my zero at 200yds and generally have groups at that distance in the 2"-2-1/2" range with my game AR. My Son the other day shot a 4" group at 400 yards (with his Savage 16). He was cheating though, as he was using a new SIG BDX scope with paired range finder. Now reaching out to 600-800 yards and beyond is another story. I often shoot 300 yd groups of 15-30 rounds to see how much stringing my barrel exhibits with heat. Usually keep 30 rounds in 5" at 300 with my game gun. Definitely a "real" group.

WIthout question, you would destroy me a long distance.  But I'm trying to learn it......