Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Make ts trigger heavier?

Craig1981

Just wondering what's the best way to make the trigger pull a tad heavier on my Cz ts. Its weighing in at an avg of 1lb 3oz. I would like to add about 1/2 lb of weight. Is heavier main spring the easiest way? What is the factory mainspring weight on a cz ts? Thanks

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, thompsoncustom said:

26lb main spring and/or 4 coil tanfoglio sear spring while do the trick

26lb? Wow.  That sounds really heavy. I was thinking factory was around 16ish. 

34 minutes ago, Diesel1 said:

New trigger spring and problem solved.

I can't imagine this gun needs a new trigger spring already. It's barely used. Or do they make  different weight trigger spring?

Edited by Craig1981

7 hours ago, cheby said:

I am pretty sure this is the first time I see someone who wants to make the trigger heavier on a competition gun:)

There is a lot to be said for something like a crisp 3.5 # , it gets down to personal preference but the last thing I want in a competition gun (run and gun sports) is a hair trigger. For long distance accuracy competition I think I might prefer reduced weight though. 

Different strokes, perhaps?  The last thing I'd want would be an *unsafe* light trigger (I'm not sure what a hair trigger is.  Perhaps the 6 oz triggers on some benchrest rifles).  A 1911 can easily be under 2# and safe, also with a very crisp break.  TS can be pretty light and safe, but not as crisp in the break because of the design.  Once the gun is safe, I believe the primary safety features in our sport are the trigger finger and the brain, and how much we've practiced safe finger skills while running & gunning. 

But the comfort level will probably vary from one person to another.  Whatever works for you (as long as y'all are safe).  ;)

43 minutes ago, Craig1981 said:

26lb? Wow.  That sounds really heavy. I was thinking factory was around 16ish. 

I can't imagine this gun needs a new trigger spring already. It's barely used. Or do they make  different weight trigger spring?

The main spring does not adjust pull weight in SA like it does in a DA gun. Hammer sear engagement do more to determine pull weight.  A jump from a 15# factory spring to a 26# spring will probably add about 1 - 1.5# to the pull weight.  It will also impact recoil and you will probably want to go lighter with your recoil spring.

A fresh TRS every 4k - 5k will help as well. The TRS is only 2 bucks.   A factory Tanfo sear spring will bring up the weight more as well.

I like my trigger to break at 2.5 - 3#.  

54 minutes ago, billthemarine2862 said:

The main spring does not adjust pull weight in SA like it does in a DA gun. Hammer sear engagement do more to determine pull weight.  A jump from a 15# factory spring to a 26# spring will probably add about 1 - 1.5# to the pull weight.  It will also impact recoil and you will probably want to go lighter with your recoil spring.

A fresh TRS every 4k - 5k will help as well. The TRS is only 2 bucks.   A factory Tanfo sear spring will bring up the weight more as well.

I like my trigger to break at 2.5 - 3#.  

It appears that the mainspring does affect trigger pull in SA, since changing mainsprings increases the pull weight.  It's because the heavier mainspring causes the sear and hammer to be pressed more tightly together, which requires more pressure against the sear to make them "break".  Shadow/SP01 tweakers use an 8# mainspring (stock is 13#, competition is 11.5# or 8#) to get a lighter DA and SA trigger pull (although at the cost of having to use softer primers because of the lighter hammer strike).  

Edited by teros135

I installed the tanfo sear spring and it works great in my SP-01. Ben Stoeger Pro Shop carries them.  Another thing to try is CZ Custom has improved standard and heavy trigger return springs. I bought all three springs to play with, but found the sear spring to be enough. 

I agree that the mainsprin changes the weight. Just not as much as it changes DA pull weight. I was pointing out  that a jump from 15 # to 26# would add 1 - 1/2 pounds to the pull of your or TS.

I run a CGW 15# in mine with the tanfo sear spring and my pull is good.

Edited by billthemarine2862

7 hours ago, teros135 said:

Once the gun is safe, I believe the primary safety features in our sport are the trigger finger and the brain, and how much we've practiced safe finger skills while running & gunning. 

But the comfort level will probably vary from one person to another.  Whatever works for you (as long as y'all are safe).  ;)

No worries. For me personally, I prefer a noticeable but small amount of pre travel and more than minimal weight. 

Depends a bit upon gun geometry also, the more closed my trigger finger needs to be before the trigger is pulled the less concerned I am about a too light trigger or too little pre-travel. 

Normal cz trigger spring is something about 2.8lbs. When making changes trigger pull you dont want any light primer strike problems. Thats why you also play with trigger spring. Mainspring also make huge differend how fast slide moves so its not best way to change trigger pull. 

Thanks for responses. Gonna look into the heavier tanfo sear spring. If anyone has a link it would be greatly appreciated. I shoot a couple different guns and most have a 2lb trigger. 1lb trigger is just too light for my liking. I wanna be closer to where my other guns are.

• 1 year later...
  • i am in this same boat! I got a TSO and the trigger pull is alarming light at 1/3 pound and after adjusting the set screw in trigger i was able to get it up just above to about 1/5lb or .60 but it adds just mush rather than the normal pre travel under light tension i am used to.  I even tried adding the tanfoglio sear spring and that only added barely .15 to the pull. I called CZ and they said its normal but i know thats BS bc the gun isnt meant to be that light. I could see 1lb to 1.5lb but half pound is just ridiculous. So i may send the gun back in for warranty work. They mentioned something to do with hammer and sear engagement, but i tried a different hammer and nothing changed. Perhaps i need to try a new sear before i send the gun for warranty? I appreciate any input.

Shoot the gun and don't clean it. After 6k to 8k rounds the trigger gets a little heavier. Try dry firing on a consistent basis, the TRS weight should be the same pull hammer up or down. 

I have my doubts anyone is receiving a TS/TSo with a .5lb pull, the TRS alone is heavier than that.

Edited by 858

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:31 AM, teros135 said:

A 1911 can easily be under 2# and safe, also with a very crisp break.  TS can be pretty light and safe, but not as crisp in the break because of the design. 

I beg to differ. If one were to carefully stone and polish the surfaces where the sear and hammer touch, and maybe add the CGW TS Race Hammer, but keep all the springs stock, you can end up with a glass rod like break and still stay under 2 lbs. ( I also polished the hammer strut, trigger bar, and sear cage) ;) 

13 hours ago, hurley326 said:
  • i am in this same boat! I got a TSO and the trigger pull is alarming light at 1/3 pound and after adjusting the set screw in trigger i was able to get it up just above to about 1/5lb or .60 but it adds just mush rather than the normal pre travel under light tension i am used to.  I even tried adding the tanfoglio sear spring and that only added barely .15 to the pull. I called CZ and they said its normal but i know thats BS bc the gun isnt meant to be that light. I could see 1lb to 1.5lb but half pound is just ridiculous. So i may send the gun back in for warranty work. They mentioned something to do with hammer and sear engagement, but i tried a different hammer and nothing changed. Perhaps i need to try a new sear before i send the gun for warranty? I appreciate any input.

What are you using to measure the pull weight with?

Lyman digital. Gun in a vice to avoid movement. Measuring at bottom, middle and top of the trigger and averaging out the pull weight. Also pulling 5 pulls each to average out.

And as comparison to make sure my scale isn’t jacked up im comparing it to a CZ Shadow 2 from Cajun gun world. The trigger pull weights in both double action and single that were notated on my gun when i received it from CGW, are matching the weights I’m getting with my scale.

So the scale is accurate and my method of  using the scale is accurate.

On 2/17/2017 at 6:33 AM, Diesel1 said:

New trigger spring and problem solved.

Correct, put in a trigger Spring from CZC and it will increase the pull by a half pound easily as it is a stronger spring. Again, as was mentioned, I am not sure why you would do this as the TS has one of the best triggers in the game. 

Edited by abb1

19 hours ago, 858 said:

Shoot the gun and don't clean it. After 6k to 8k rounds the trigger gets a little heavier. Try dry firing on a consistent basis, the TRS weight should be the same pull hammer up or down. 

I have my doubts anyone is receiving a TS/TSo with a .5lb pull, the TRS alone is heavier than that.

I agree... but when I told CZ USA they said “that’s normal it’s a competition pistol.” I stressed to them no matter what they claim I know 100% this isn’t normal I didn’t start shooting last week. I understand the TSO is a competition gun and they are hoping to achieve a 1-2lb pull. I see most around 1.5lb but none at .50 or less! Their response was “send it in for warranty”.

Also, I did try springs from CZC and Cajun Gun works and neither spring increases the weight by half pound. I tried both trigger return springs and sear springs. It’s not the trigger return spring that is going to increase weight though, it’s going to be the sear spring. I also used a Tanfoglio sear spring that has a full extra coil and that increased the weight around .20 on average.