Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moly coated bullets for major matches?

Fantom919

Does anyone use moly coated bullets for major matches?

Currently I use Bayous for practice and Zeros for match. I know the bayous can use less powder and still make pf but I keep them the powder charge the same so I can get similar recoil feel (really hope point of impact isn't affected much by this.)

• 2 weeks later...

I use BBI for everything.  

It's not worth the hassle to run two different loads when my BBI load is reliable and accurate.  

The only difference is my match loads get extra QC and usually Fed headstamp only brass.  

On 2/28/2017 at 11:42 AM, wtturn said:

I use BBI for everything.  

It's not worth the hassle to run two different loads when my BBI load is reliable and accurate.  

The only difference is my match loads get extra QC and usually Fed headstamp only brass.  

BBI all the way.   I used to shoot copper plated until i ran into tumbling issues.  BBI bullets have been great for me.

Incredibly few people still run moly-coated bullets, a tiny number so small as to be negligible.  Most shooters are running polymer-coated bullets.  I use SNS and Blue Bullets.  Blue Bullets are the best deal, best $ value, but SNS has a better profile for loading.  Not sure what is the best overall value at this point.

The only downside I see that bayous weigh varies more than a JHP. I haven't done an accuracy test out to 25 yards or anything like that before, although I'll give it a try next time I hit the range.

Anyone else compare JHP to bayou or similar comparison?

So far, I haven't found a polymer coated bullet that will group as good as JHP's at major. Minor, in my guns, they're pretty close, good thing, cause that's what I'm shooting at the Optics Nats. Polymer minor 9

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 0:37 AM, Dirtchevy841 said:

I use bayou bullets for everything. Practice and matches. Tried the hp Montana but just didn't feel like loading 2 different types. 

Same here.

I also love the fact that I can use less powder for the same velocities.

3 hours ago, hdultra said:

Same here.

I also love the fact that I can use less powder for the same velocities.

That's part of the push to get me to moly only. Less powder and ideally less recoil with the same pf.

Do people really notice a big difference in say 6pf? I'm thinking the benefit is fairly negligible.