Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Intermittent No Primer Strike

MedicAJ

What could be causing intermittent FTF's in a 2011 where the hammer falls, but there is NO evidence of a primer strike. This was an intermittent malfunction, happening every other or every third round. 

Andy

Does the hammer fall when you pull the trigger or is the hammer following the slide when closing? If you are pulling the trigger extremely slow and know the hammer was cocked back and falls and nothing happens then I have no idea whats going on.

I had a hammer follow issue where the hammer was down and no primer strike and it was trigger component related. But it would only happen when pulling the trigger really fast. Had the trigger job redone and problem went away.

Is your slide going all the way into battery?  Pencil test is a solid way to get a feel for ignition strength, but if there is no evidence of a primer strike to begin with, then there isn't a point in all that.  Typically I leave my firing pin channel clean and dry.  I also clip a few coils off the firing pin spring.  But all that asside, replace your firing pin.  Its good to have a spare around anyway, they aren't expensive.  Just replace it, and see what happens, go from there.

Are you having pressure signs on your ammo

i had it happen where the indentation from the firing pin on the primer was blown back out and sheared off in the FP tunnel 

which would block the FP from hitting the primer on the next round

by racking the round out, it would clear the debris and the next round would fire

So, I did a full tear-down of the slide, blew out the FP channel with compressed air, and reassembled.  Ran 125-ish problemn-free rounds through it yesterday.  Must have been something gumming up the FP.

2 hours ago, MedicAJ said:

So, I did a full tear-down of the slide, blew out the FP channel with compressed air, and reassembled.  Ran 125-ish problemn-free rounds through it yesterday.  Must have been something gumming up the FP.

I would recommend pulling the firing pin and running a Q-tip with some Hoppes on it down that FP channel.  That channel gets a LOT of carbon build up in it.  I do this after every couple of matches.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:35 PM, MedicAJ said:

Is it still running problem free?