Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone using 200's with Clays

Justinmac13

I have heard several times not to run 200's with Clays powder, I have shot a lot of 180's with Clays at 4.4 loaded to 1.19 to get about 171 PF out of my Limited and SS gun, I show no pressure signs and have shot probably 10-12k of them.

Does anyone run 200's with Clays, I just haven't been ballsy enough to try it yet since people on here warn against it, but curious if most of those people just are regurgitating information that someone else told them.

Has anyone tried it and actually seen any pressure signs doing it?

It's not just the people on here, it is Hodgdon that stopped publishing load data for the 200gr. Bullets in .40 S&W.

Can it be done, sure, just as long as you don't overcharge and keep it light.

For 200 grain bullets, I have been very happy with 231 or HP-38.

I also use Clays for Major under 180's loaded long, but just didn't want to push it with 200's.  

I know Clays works with 200's.  Did not see flow or flattened primers...just an abundance of caution on my part stopped me.

If I want to use 200's I go N320, but would consider using 231/HP again too.  

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:10 AM, Yeti said:

I also use Clays for Major under 180's loaded long, but just didn't want to push it with 200's.  

I know Clays works with 200's.  Did not see flow or flattened primers...just an abundance of caution on my part stopped me.

If I want to use 200's I go N320, but would consider using 231/HP again too.  

What are your loads with Win-231 for the 180/200grs that you recommend for Limited .40?

1 hour ago, Hi_Im_Vinh said:

What are your loads with Win-231 for the 180/200grs that you recommend for Limited .40?

Using Clays under 180's at the moment, but I'd be happy to PM you my old W231/HP38 200gr. load if you want to try it out, Vinh.

19 hours ago, Yeti said:

Using Clays under 180's at the moment, but I'd be happy to PM you my old W231/HP38 200gr. load if you want to try it out, Vinh.

I wouldn't mind both of those loads... I'm just about to start reloading for .40 major and have an ample supply of both Clays and Win 231.  Just grabbed 1k each of 180's and 200's to try.

On 2/18/2017 at 5:31 AM, Justinmac13 said:

I may start working up a load starting at 3.7 and see what it's like.

Start lower, 3.5gr gave me 171pf.  The trouble with Clays it that when you push it over the hump it gets real inconsistent.  I've experienced this loading it under 147s in 9mm as well.

Clays in .40 Major loads is awesome until it goes KABOOM!!!

Its funny how most people ignore the warnings about Clays because it "Works". Then it eventually goes KABOOM and the lesson is learned the hard way once again.

14 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

Start lower, 3.5gr gave me 171pf.  The trouble with Clays it that when you push it over the hump it gets real inconsistent.  I've experienced this loading it under 147s in 9mm as well.

Thank you Atlas, 

If it is real inconsistent then I may not even bother with it and just run Tightgroup or WSF since i have it on hand.

7 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

Clays in .40 Major loads is awesome until it goes KABOOM!!!

Its funny how most people ignore the warnings about Clays because it "Works". Then it eventually goes KABOOM and the lesson is learned the hard way once again.

CHA-LEE

Have you witnessed this as well or just read about it?  Just curious if you have had a personal experience with it and a Kaboom.

I shot Clays exclusively in .40 major for about 3 years using both 180gr and 200gr bullets. After about the 10th KABOOM I was over it. At that point It didn't matter how soft shooting or clean burning it was. When it blew up it would ruin a stage run at a minimum or break my gun taking it out of commission all together. 

I tried all of the tricks such as loading long to avoid over pressure issues but it would eventually blow up. 

All together I probably shot 50,000 rounds with Clays. 10 KABOOM events in 50k may not seem like a lot. But one of those was at the Nationals and I ended up zeroing a stage because of it. That single KABOOM event wasted at least $1500 in travel expenses in attending that match. 

After that event I dumped Clays and started using WST instead.

43 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

I shot Clays exclusively in .40 major for about 3 years using both 180gr and 200gr bullets. After about the 10th KABOOM I was over it. At that point It didn't matter how soft shooting or clean burning it was. When it blew up it would ruin a stage run at a minimum or break my gun taking it out of commission all together. 

I tried all of the tricks such as loading long to avoid over pressure issues but it would eventually blow up. 

All together I probably shot 50,000 rounds with Clays. 10 KABOOM events in 50k may not seem like a lot. But one of those was at the Nationals and I ended up zeroing a stage because of it. That single KABOOM event wasted at least $1500 in travel expenses in attending that match. 

After that event I dumped Clays and started using WST instead.

Thank you for your input,  this is what I was looking for.  

13 hours ago, Justinmac13 said:

Yeti,

I didnt get the PM.

Ontos requested a W231 load...I sent.  

I am too chicken to load 200's to Major with Clays anymore, for the reasons CHA-LEE gave.  

Did it in the past for 200's and never had a KB event, but it made me too nervous.  

Edited by Yeti