Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9MM/ .223 match ammo

Tank0211

So I'm wondering what everyone uses for their 9mm pistol match ammo? Does it really matter if you use 115g or 147g? ATM I'm looking at Freedom Muntions Ammo. From what they have their 9mm HP 124g reman @ .19/rd looks like a really nice deal & something I'd like to use long term. As well they have .223 55g reman @ .29/rd that I'm thinking can be my go to ammo for my AR. I'm not rich, so I need to find value priced ammo that I can use for both practice & competition. Thoughts?

Smarter folks than I have recommended 124g so I'd go with that for 9mm rounds.  I use that and occasionally a box of 147g if I see a spinner.  As to the rifle rounds I can't help as I've not used their rifle ammo.  Should be pretty good though.

28 minutes ago, Tank0211 said:

Does it  matter if you use 115g or 147g?

Many beginners start out with 115's (they're cheap and available).

Many never see the difference between 115's and 147's, much less the 124's.

At the same PF, the heavier bullet (believe it or not) has a gentler push rather

than the snap of the 115's.

If you see the difference (many don't) it's worth switching from 115's to a heavier

bullet - 147's if you're not a real great gunner (Me    :( ) or 124's if you're getting pretty

good.   IMHO.

The 124's are obviously a nice compromise between 115's and 147's.    :) 

I won't run FM 223 reloads, I had an order throwing primers... I was pisses to have 500 garbage rounds.  Bitethebullet.com claims to use CCI primers, quality power, and hornady bullets.... I just shoot too much pistol to 3gun much anymore so I haven't ordered but I plan too. When it comes to rifle ammo I would buy a single box or two and test them in my barrel. 

Pistol ammo in say a glock is no big deal, shoot what is cheap. FM sells stepped case and that sucks. 

I use to use new FM 9mm until their loads starting being so weak my m&p would barely eject the brass. The brass was landing on my arm. This was back in 2015 so possible they have changed. They were also using stepped cases for 9mm back then. I switched to Sellier and Bellot after that in 124 grain mostly due to getting it cheap.

I see most people using 147 and 124 grain unless they are new. Heavier bullet will result in less of a snap.

I have never used FM .223. I have been using Wolf Gold, which is brass despite the Wolf name. You can get Wolf Gold for .29 to .30 cents a round shipped if you shop around. I usually watch the website Slickguns for free shipping. Sportsmans Guide usually has a free shipping code.

Thanks for all the replies. After reading reviews on the site, I was all set to order a bunch of FM ammo. But now I'm not sure, ugh! I guess it's best, if I did buy from them, to get 'new' rather than reloads eh? But then hearing about the 'weak loads' puts me off too. Anyone have very recent experience w/ FM ammo that can post? Suppose I'll go ahead & check out the other sites you all have suggested first. BTW, what are 'steeped cases'?

Stepped cases have a  shelf (or step) in the bottom 1/3rd or so of the case were the brass is thicker near the rim. It is problematic for 9major shooters and most all reloads dislike it.... it is Feedom Munitions own little gift to shooting world. 

I  see a big difference in recoil between the 115 and the 147. The 147 is much softer. I am more accurate with the 147 as well. The 115 is very snappy. FWIW, I would suggest you start reloading. My reloaded ammo gives me a SD of 8. I have dialed in a load that most suits my recoil and accuracy needs. I would rather not settle for the generic loads of someone else. YMMV                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

I have shot all the different weights in 9, 40, and 45.  I like a middle weight bullet as it is a good compromise of softer recoil, but still works the action fast enough that to return the sights quickly.  I would also say that people that run 147s should tune their gun to them.  I see so many people run a stock set up and then use 147s and the brass just dribbles out and eventually causes malfunctions.  My preferred bullets are the 124s competitions from ORM tech.  They offer a discount code for first orders, 5josh17.

Freedom seems to get a bad rep from a lot of folks. I have had relatively good luck running it in my 1911 for minor.  My Sig MPX PCC carbine does not like it though.  If I had to do it over, I would buy elsewhere. 

I suggest you start reloading......sure, not part of you original question......  Especially for .223/5.56 in cost and quality.  

i just switched from 135 gr to 147...     After 1500 rounds of 135. I could absolutely feel a difference, after a mag or 2 at new bullet my head sub consciously adapts to any slight differences.  

Will it make a difference in my scores and splits.......  Not at the level I'm shooting.  

As as my skill level  improved I feel that I know that I can shoot 115 to 147 gr bullets. With no change in score.         No insult intended but with good form, sound fundamentals, and  regular range time....buillet weight is no longer a factor.

Edited by biglou13

No time, space or initial investment available to reload yet.  As for weight making a difference I can tell a difference in muzzle rise with 115 and 135 and don't like the "push" of the 147's.  Seems to be the best medium, though 124's suffice if I'm out of 135.

Past that you're right - good grip and fundamentals make most of the differences disappear.

Little bit of Freedom 9mm I have used always worked great for me. Out of about 2500 rnds 1 round was seated too deep. Have shot their new rounds, reloads, 115gn and 124gn. They all went bang. They supposedly quit using stepped cases awhile back and if you do not reload it doesn't matter what type of case they use. If you are not hung up on shooting 115gn Federal 100 packs of aluminum case at Walmart work well and cost about the same as Freedom. For your rifle PMC bronze or Wolf gold can work well and if you buy 1k you can often get decent pricing. The new M&P 22 rifles have dropped a lot in price. At $350 it would pay for itself if you shot 1600 rnds of 223 for short range practice (.08 vs .30 per round). Have seen some good shooters finish well with Tula in rifles and pistols. Cheap steel case didn't seem to hold them back at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2017 at 9:42 PM, 3gunDQ said:

I won't run FM 223 reloads, I had an order throwing primers... I was pisses to have 500 garbage rounds.  Bitethebullet.com claims to use CCI primers, quality power, and hornady bullets.... I just shoot too much pistol to 3gun much anymore so I haven't ordered but I plan too. When it comes to rifle ammo I would buy a single box or two and test them in my barrel. 

Pistol ammo in say a glock is no big deal, shoot what is cheap. FM sells stepped case and that sucks. 

what is a "stepped cs pls???.

i know all .556 is a taper neck

tia

jjw

16 minutes ago, jjw said:

what is a "stepped cs pls???.

i know all .556 is a taper neck

tia

jjw

There is a ledge or step about half way down inside the case. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a beginner with 3 months experience in USPSA.  I've been running New LAX Ammo 115gr at 1089 muzzle velocity in my Glock 17. If those manufacturer stats are accurate, I'm running right at the 125 power factor minimum for USPSA Production.  (I really need to verify this before a major match).  Performance has been nearly flawless.  Over 4500 rounds in the past 3 months, I've had 2 primers not fire despite evidence of a nice little dimple from the firing pin.  In both cases, I put it back into a magazine and they fired.

I can't comment on other brands or sizes.  But, I can tell you that I'm pretty satisfied with the 99.95% successful fire rate.

I'm planning to start experimenting with weight and other brands soon.  Freedom is next to try.  I wish they listed muzzle velocity on all of their options.

Ive been shooting LAX Ammo for years in 9mm (115)  and .40S&W (180). I have never had a single issue with their ammo.

Theres a post in the rant section about freedom munitions. I took it as a fair review. I somebody gave me 100 rounds of their crap 9mm and about 20 of them did not run.

15 hours ago, akaider said:

Ive been shooting LAX Ammo for years in 9mm (115)  and .40S&W (180). I have never had a single issue with their ammo.

Theres a post in the rant section about freedom munitions. I took it as a fair review. I somebody gave me 100 rounds of their crap 9mm and about 20 of them did not run.

I've had my problems with Freedom, like any other, but outside of one bad batch (literally a bad batch) I've not had this level of issue with them.  Any problems I did have they quickly solved.

I've also had good luck with USAC's 124gr 9mm.

10 hours ago, mreed911 said:

I've had my problems with Freedom, like any other, but outside of one bad batch (literally a bad batch) I've not had this level of issue with them.  Any problems I did have they quickly solved.

I've also had good luck with USAC's 124gr 9mm.

The review i pointed out was not my doing. What i meant by "i took it as a fair review" was because somebody took the tima end effort to tell us. Before I i came across lax ammo i tried several brands but the end result i ended up with lax and it stuck with me because of price a reliability. They also offer free shipping on new customers which worked on my favor.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been shooting Lax 115gr in bulk for about 6 months without really any issues. But after some conversations with some shooters this past weekend at a USPSA match, everyone says 124gr is the way to go. I'm going to get some 124, 135, and 147 and give them each a try in my P320 and see which feels best and go with them for the year. I'll probably start reloading for next year.

I'm a newbie and this is a great question and one that has been running around in my head. I didn't realize the 115 were actually "snappier" than the 124/135/147, but now that I understand the science it makes sense. So no more 115 for me going forward.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...