Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cratered primers?

GregJ

Just got the BCG and fp upgrade from Sig my my Gen2 MPX. Ran a few rounds through. Though some of the primers looked cratered. 

Left is Accurate #2, 4.2gr, Zero 124 @ 1.125. CCI Primer. 

Center is E3 3.6gr, Zero 124 @1.100. Win SP primer.   Chronos 1080/pf 134

Right is 115gr Remington ammo. 

The E3 is my main minor load and shoots well out of my 1911. 

Thoughts?

IMG_6573.JPG

11 hours ago, bowenbuilt said:

See how nice and round the edge of the primer is? That is not a pressure created cratered primer. Primer flowed into the firing pin hole yes but if it were a high pressure crater that primer would be flattened.

Got it. So the E3 loads should be GTG.  tks :cheers:

17 minutes ago, Wheeljack said:

I found the WIN primers much thinner than the CCI.  

Agreed. I think what I am seeing is just primer flow.  I am wondering if the hammer strike is a little heavy, causing the primer flow, as I am also running a Geissele SSA trigger.  I will be putting the stock trigger back in this week end and see if that makes any diff. 

Edited by GregJ

I called Sig this week about my MPX piercing primers and the tech told me it was normal due to the nature of the system (hammer force/velocity).  I'd guess that's probably contributing to the primer flow on yours as well.

I've also had a couple of instances where I've had an empty get stuck on the bolt which had to be pried off with a screwdriver.  The tech didn't have any insight/recommendation for that and said that something with a < 1% occurrence rate would be hard for them to troubleshoot or correct.  I'm hoping it doesn't continue to be a problem.

7 hours ago, tyler2you said:

I called Sig this week about my MPX piercing primers and the tech told me it was normal due to the nature of the system (hammer force/velocity).  I'd guess that's probably contributing to the primer flow on yours as well.

I've also had a couple of instances where I've had an empty get stuck on the bolt which had to be pried off with a screwdriver.  The tech didn't have any insight/recommendation for that and said that something with a < 1% occurrence rate would be hard for them to troubleshoot or correct.  I'm hoping it doesn't continue to be a problem.

That is interesting because I called them about the same thing and bulging cases. They sent an upgraded BCG, new carrier, firing pin, and fp spring. You might call them back and ask for the upgrade