Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to Dry Fire Practice With Competition Weight Mags?

TrackCage

I load dummy rounds then run a drill bit clean through both sides of the case, so that it's easy to see that my dummies aren't live ammo as each one is loaded into a mag, even if I got lazy visually inspecting each for lack of a primer.

All live ammo is put away during dryfire session, obviously.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

So I ordered bright green from Eggleston, blackened a bunch of cases and loaded up 100...  Being a relatively novice reloader never thought that the different bullet profile (I use Blue Bullets) would produce longer rounds which now don't fit in my mags...  Haven't tried to just reseat, think it will be ok?  My crimp die just takes out the bell.

I recently just made overweight dry fire mags. I took a some old beat up practice mags that weren't functioning 100% anymore, taped up all the holes, capped the top, and left the basepad off. I then layered hot glue and bullets until the entire mag was filled . They weigh around 40% more than a fully loaded mag. This has helped out tremendously in the last few months with consistency and speed. (it could also be this has motivated me to practice reloads more)

41 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

So I ordered bright green from Eggleston, blackened a bunch of cases and loaded up 100...  Being a relatively novice reloader never thought that the different bullet profile (I use Blue Bullets) would produce longer rounds which now don't fit in my mags...  Haven't tried to just reseat, think it will be ok?  My crimp die just takes out the bell.

Yes, they are dummy rounds so scraping the coating doesn't matter. If it does scrape some off, just clean off the coating/lead before putting a round in the chamber.

Call me crazy but I go a step further. I have 30 dummy rounds made with TWO bullets shoved into each case.(38.Super w/124 gr. and 45acp w/ 152 gr) Makes the gun heavier than it would be with a normal full mag. By practicing dry fire with the gun heavier, especially before a match, when you shoot the match the gun feels lighter and your movements seem faster. If you get used to the heavier weight, the lighter weight in a match feels easy.

Also: I have a 10' section of wall in my basement that I have set up for dry fire practice. It's a random mix of 2", 3", 6" target pasters and spray painted IPSC targets in various colors. I roll dice to set up a random target set to transition through. (six sided dice with marking for color and target size/shape) Draw and shoot the target sequence determined by the dice. This helps me with target acquisition and sight alignment/indexing.

I also have a projector for my computer and digital photos of standard Bowling Pin setups and Steel Challenge that I project on the wall for match practice.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:42 AM, Maximis228 said:

I recently just made overweight dry fire mags. I took a some old beat up practice mags that weren't functioning 100% anymore, taped up all the holes, capped the top, and left the basepad off. I then layered hot glue and bullets until the entire mag was filled . They weigh around 40% more than a fully loaded mag. This has helped out tremendously in the last few months with consistency and speed. (it could also be this has motivated me to practice reloads more)

I was thinking of doing this, but was worried about damage to the slide from over insertion since you wouldn't have a round on top to cushion the impact.  Are you seeing any issues?

1 minute ago, tyler2you said:

I was thinking of doing this, but was worried about damage to the slide from over insertion since you wouldn't have a round on top to cushion the impact.  Are you seeing any issues?

So far no, I built up some hot glue around the top to prevent this issue. So far no marring of any kind inside the gun.

11 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

So far no, I built up some hot glue around the top to prevent this issue. So far no marring of any kind inside the gun.

Great idea--I'm doing this tonight.  So sick of chasing dummy rounds across the floor after dropping mags.  Thanks!

19 minutes ago, tyler2you said:

Great idea--I'm doing this tonight.  So sick of chasing dummy rounds across the floor after dropping mags.  Thanks!

Make sure the tubes drop free before you do all of this. I had one that was a bitch to fix after I loaded it all up.

I load nickel cases with just a bullet, no primmer and powder. Since I shoot production, I load ten of my inert rounds in a mag with a snap cap at the top of the mag. I like to load a snap cap on top as I've noticed repeatedly slamming mags in with the slide in battery causes the bullet to walk out of the case mouth. The snap cap prevents this.

• 3 weeks later...

Snapcaps for the one in the chamber and dummy rounds (no powder or primer) for the rest.  I used a red permanent marker to pain the bottom of the case red.  I also have dedicated mags used for dry fire and keep them separate from my ammo and other mags.  For tap-rack drills I use Snapcaps for the first 2 rounds.  On occasion I'll use a laserlyte however I don't recommend that very often or you'll get target focused and start to only look for the dot.  Good training however to learn to shoot with both eyes open.

• 2 weeks later...

I used dykem to color mine and still need to out some silicone or something in the primer pocket. 

I li only use 4.2g powder so I bet there's more weight variance between cases and bullets than I'm getting with the lack of powder

red

10 hours ago, tyler2you said:

Filling the mags with hot glue and bullets works beautifully.  Thanks for the tip Max.  Only problem is when one bounces up and hits me in the shin.  These things are heavy.

mags.jpg

I have had that happen as well. I guess the unintended consequence is these things now have a little bounce to them on a hard floor.

Glad it worked well for you.