Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lighten up my IPSC rifle

olp73

I quite recently built a new upper for my IPSC open rifle. The built was made by quality parts, including a Spuhr mount, Zeiss V8 1-8, JP handguard and a Criterion hybrid Barrel. I was looking forward to getting something new with a fresh barrel and good optics.

………..the thing works like a champ besides the fact that the package is too heavy for me. I don’t think it is particularly heavy, it is just too much for me. After I really blew some stages in a Level III match because of this I have decided to start over.

Can someone point me in the right direction on what components to choose if you want to build something light, including scope and mount, that still can handle a 40 round stage?

Thanks for all help

Edited by olp73

Judging from your previous build it looks like you have a decent budget so I won't hold back on recommendations. There are two ways to build a light weight rifle these days; you can go the traditional skeletonized/less material route or you can build a rifle using high tech/super light weight materials. Both options will be light but the second will be much stronger and more durable. If it were me I'd start with a pair of V Seven receivers

http://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/collections/upper-parts/products/enlightened-2055-ar-15-receiver-set

I would also use all V Seven titanium small parts and their enlightened rail. These parts are all stronger than traditional parts yet also lighter. In order to maintain high round count performance I'd look at a Proof Research carbon barrel (18" my preference but 16" is still a good choice). SLR rifleworks titanium Sentry gas block. JP lightweight internals. As far as optics I'd keep what you have if you like it but swap the mount to something lighter like a Warne SKEL mount or Geissele scope mount. This is what I would build if I wanted a lightweight top of the line 3-gun rifle. You could definitely build something close for cheaper.

different suggestion... lighten the one you have. Rip off that hand guard and put on something in carbon fiber. Your barrel isn't crazy heavy, but you could always have someone with a lathe lighten it up a bit. 

the other option may be to actually make the ass end of the rifle heavier. I have a big bull barrel 18" JP with comp and not light weight hand guard, but a UBR stock. It makes the rifle balance, which even though it's not light, it moves and points really well. 

we get faxon barrels from brownells.no 

the sphur/zeiss combo is 918 grams, vs 620 grams for the jp mount with swaro z6i, but its a very nice optic.. so probably worth the grams.

the handguard, barrel and upper can save you easy grams, slickside aero upper is 180 grams, faxon gunner light is also only 6-700 grams, also a nice light jp bcg saves quite a few grams, complete is only 250 grams, vs vooodoo which is supposed to be light, but is.. 280 grams. I assume you allready run a light buffer, think mine is like 50 grams? lighest jp, without the internal weights. 

(I have all the faxon barrels and jp and others so I know) 

the faxon handguard, is a lancer systems CF guard, with another mounting system, which actually makes it lighter than the original lancer system, which is good. BUT a toni systems handguard is just as light, or lighter (and way cheaper) also way more available here, others to look at is the.. err something something ultra lite with m look. but I prefer the toni. 

With all this said, I dont feel weight limits is a that big issue, even my mini rifle setup runs a pretty heavy 20" setup. 

Tuned up with a good comp and a low mass bolt, recoil is not an issue. It is a very flat shooting rifle. For reference, I am coming from an 18" JP15 and the sights don't move any more than that did.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies.

I have already thought about the UBR stock as a counterweight. However, in combination with a Faxon Gunnar 18” barrel and lightweight handguard, say a Bravo Company KMR 15”, will this make the rifle totally off balance?

Edited by olp73

well.. I got 5 faxon barrels, including a gunner 18" they are all quite nice

I run the ace skeleton on pretty much all my rifles, seeing as they balance fine, UBR would definetly shift it to rear is my thought. 

For what its worth; I was kind of in the same boat with the rifle that I was shooting for a while.  It had an older profile 18" DD STW barrel, JP handguard, Larue mount, vortex scope, Magpul ACS stock and a JP cooley comp.  I wanted to lighten a few things up as well and not break the bank in the process.  I had no desire to go the titanium route.  I also firmly believe that weight in a barrel is a good thing, years of shooting NRA LR, highpower and prarie dogs had taught me that some barrels don't shoot nearly as well hot as they do when cool.  The 18" DD rifle barrel was still shooting so I decided to leave that alone.  Replacing the ACS stock was easy and I switched it out with a Vltor IMOD without the rubber pad.  I replaced the JP handguard with a MI, the scope mount with an Aero precision and put a patriot defense titanium comp on the end.  I don't know how much weight I saved but it was more then a few OZ.  The tough part is that the Vortex razor is big and heavy.  I Think that the next place to save some real weight would be in a new barrel but that will wait a bit.  I am still reluctant to go with an ultralight weight profile barrel.  Id be interested to hear how well they shoot after a 20 rd rapid fire string.

I've been using one of the Spike's LW 14.5", mid-gas barrels for a couple years now. If I do my part the rifle will hit just fine at the beginning and end of a stage. Lots of folk are caught up in having a longer barrel and heavier barrel, etc. I dont think its needed at all for occasional 3-4MOA targets out to 500-600yds with most inside of 400.

I agree with you. My previous philosophy was: Buy good and light parts, but not a light barrel. The thing is, now days with big heavy 1-8x scopes and mounts, I don’t think the 15” handguards help either. I kind of cannot afford a medium profile barrel. The package just end up too heavy.

I have a faxon barrel as well, just over 1lb is very helpful at shredding weight. The MFT minimalist stock is light too, I think Spike makes another light stock. I also have the Taccom buffer which really reduces buffer weight. I'm looking to sell my new Burris XTR II 1-5x to get a lighter scope, looking at the Leupold VX-6 now.

Gonna run 18" heavy profile on worldshoot rifle, with heavy zeiss ;) 

Been shooting a similar weight 20" with 17.5" guard all winter, whats funny is its the stages with lots of superfast transitions that I always get my matchpoints at.

Honestly I think maybe focus on other aspects more than gear, a gun that cycles and runs 1 MOA, will get you to 90-95%+ at most matches, I know one of the top10 guys from ERC last, he shoots a 16" midgas, with heavy guard, fullweight bolt, everything, not even adjustable gasblock, not even a nice trigger ;) 

• 4 weeks later...