Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rookie at First USPSA match

Broski

Little back story. Just bought my first gun in Oct. '16. Shot a Steel Challenge match in Dec and Jan, and my first USPSA match the last Sat. Of Jan. Video is below. Help me out, and I know there is gonna be a lot.

Stage 2 had an out of battery malfunction

Stage 3 I missed a target before my first reload, and had to come back after I had already dumped my mag which immediately pissed me off that I didn't execute my plan. Then I pulled an empty mag that I had put on my belt (won't make that mistake again). Then before the stage ever started, the Texas Star was already in my head, and I got very frustrated with myself on it.

Rule #1 Have Fun!

Forgetting a stage plan happens...A LOT!  Recovering from a mistake and getting your head game back on track is the key to finishing the rest of the match well.

There are lots of small pointers to give from looking at your video, I won't try to cover them all because there are lots of more experienced shooters here than me.  A couple things i noticed is that your are standing up tall rather than keeping your knees bent and being ready to move and you were shooting the top targets first rather shooting the bottom and letting the recoil help move your gun up to the next target.  There's my .02.  I shot that match as well.  It was not easy by any means.  Keep at it and good luck.

Looked like a Great first match !!!!

That's exactly what I'd recommend to anyone shooting their first match :)

Watch the better shooters, maybe film some of them - run film side by side

with your own video - see where they're picking up speed.

Have fun and stay safe.    :bow:

Stay low.  You're standing up pretty tall.  You don't seem to be in a particular hurry between positions/targets - drive the gun in transition.  

For someone so new you're looking pretty good in all honesty.  Just practice more and it will come with time. 

Welcome to the sport!  Just to add to what others have said.  Do everything as aggressively and purposefully as you can do safely.  You can see over the different stages how you loosened up and started moving better near the last few stages.  I can still remember how nervous I was my first few matches, that will go away with time.  Lead with your eyes when transitioning.  Snap the head/eyes to next target and snap the gun to that same spot.  On your turn and draw snap that head around to the first target and the body/gun will follow.  These things can all be safely practiced in dry fire and you will see rapid improvement.   Have fun!

Don't focus too much on speed for the first couple of months. You just need to get some match experience right now. It's hard to do that when you're on the way home after being DQ'ed. The speed will come naturally so don't worry about it right now. Now is the time to build rock solid fundamentals and learn the big time savers. You'll have plenty of time to nitpick tenths of seconds that could've been saved later on. One thing I will recommend is staying off of the fault lines unless it is 100% necessary. Several times through the video you had the toes of one or both feet on top of fault lines. I would advise anyone against making this a habit for many reasons. We can talk about them at the match Saturday. See you at the range.