Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Howdies from Prescott AZ

AZandy

Hello everyone!  I'd like to take up competitive shooting, since I'm firmly stuck at a plateau with the usual stand-still-aim-and-shoot kind of thing. I read Practical Shooting about ten years ago, realized I'd need better pistols, a progressive press, and same basic accuracy work before I even thought about getting into serious shooting. So, now I have all that and am finally ready to get started. I've settled on a Sig Commander-sized 1911 in .45ACP as my beginner's tool and am starting to work through the Stoeger dry-fire book. Joined IDPA a few days ago, so I'll be looking for a classifier in a few months.

Edit to add: Oh, what the heck. Joined USPSA too so I can double my fun.

Edited by AZandy

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Welcome aboard :)

That Sig 1911 sounds like a great start.

Which reloader did you select?

I have two Lee Pro 1000s (one for small primer, one for large) and a Classic Turret for working up loads. Yeah, I know, Dillon's the bomb and all that, but I'm cheap. ;)

36 minutes ago, mksm2016 said:

I heard nice things about Prescott, AZ. Man, I wish CA is like AZ but I guess I have to keep dreaming. Welcome sir....

The gun laws are pretty reasonable, and this is a nice town with a modern indoor range. Prescott's smallish (45,000) but has all the modern conveniences shopping-wise. High enough altitude that we get a couple of decent snows every winter, and it runs about 15 degrees cooler than Phoenix. Come on out and I'll show you around!

12 hours ago, guns_and_labs said:

Prescott also has a GREAT action shooting club. Welcome to AZ, and enjoy!

I'm guessing you mean the Yavapai Recreation League? I have an application sitting on my desk, waiting for my USPSA membership number.

On 2/15/2017 at 6:59 AM, AZandy said:

I'm guessing you mean the Yavapai Recreation League? I have an application sitting on my desk, waiting for my USPSA membership number.

Yes, that's the one. You can also head up to Flagstaff and shoot either IDPA or USPSA up here with us at NASR. After a hiatus, the USPSA club is back to being official.

2 minutes ago, guns_and_labs said:

Yes, that's the one. You can also head up to Flagstaff and shoot either IDPA or USPSA up here with us at NASR. After a hiatus, the USPSA club is back to being official.

Excellent! I like Flagstaff; thanks for the pointer.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum and  to Arizona.  The  Prescott Action Shooters is a great club with a lot of friendly people.   Don't forget to come to Phoenix when you get a chance.  Ben Avery Range off of I-17 and Carefree Hwy Has USPSA shoots on the first Sunday the Third Saturday and the Fourth Sunday.  They host two steel  challenge matches on the 2nd and 3rd Sunday.