Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot gun question?

rustybayonet

I have a variety of hulls. Should I reload them per exact shell or can I find similar types and reload in larger groups?  Keep it down to high brass, low brass? Will the base only change proforamce or is it possible to get into the danger zone on pressure?

I dont vary from book on shotshells because the pressure tolerances are very narrow. Changing components can have ddramatic effects. 

Some hulls have tapered walls and smaller volumes than similar looking hulls of the same gauge. Remington vs Federal are good examples. Other have paper base wads vs plastic 1 or 2 piece base wads.  The list of variables goes on...

I stick to published load data by hull type, wad type, and primer type. 209 primers vary quite a bit in brissiance, with expected varaince in pressures. Some 209 primers even have larger external diameters. 

So, i stick to published loads. I do substitute ClayBuster brand wads wherever possible, following Claybuster load data whe the powder manufacturer doesnt list data for claybuster wads. Wad substitution is fairly well documented 

I am much more willing to mix and match  components with metallic rifle and pistol cartridges.   Much more room for error than with shotgun shells.