Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX 2011 mags

brew460

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brand new 9mm STI DVC Open gun right out of the box.

Five brand new MBX mags.

Fresh case of Atlanta Arms 147gr major ammo.

Mags are very hard to seat, two of the five mags feed (the ones that don't can't even feed the first round), and none of them drop free. Jam-o-matic.

Yay me...

Been there done that. Take a breath. Email MBX and explain what's going on. They will take care of it. Have found I have to down load magazines by one round so I can seat magazines on COF's But am shooting a STI Edge 45 ACP. The MBX's hold 18 rounds but have to slam them hard into the pistol. So I start off with 18 plus 1 then as I reload, use 17 round magazines.

IMVHO

Mike

Brand new 9mm STI DVC Open gun right out of the box.
Five brand new MBX mags.
Fresh case of Atlanta Arms 147gr major ammo.
Mags are very hard to seat, two of the five mags feed (the ones that don't can't even feed the first round), and none of them drop free. Jam-o-matic.
Yay me...

While the feeding is an issue for sure, the hard to seat part is not. Mine are exactly the same and they've run flawlessly for 6k plus rounds. I can load them fully but they're not reloadable at all. Take one round out and good to go. I'd say that pretty much all 2011 mags are gonna be the same when you're maximizing capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, rr4406pak said:

The hard to seat part is an issue for me.

They are difficult to load with one round or even no rounds!

Is there something wrong with the gun?  Are the mags automatically to blame?  Have you tried known-good mags in the gun?

The hard to seat part is an issue for me.
They are difficult to load with one round or even no rounds!

If the mags won't even seat in the gun when empty than there is something wrong with the dimensions of the magazines or the grip.. and if you've tried multiple mags then I would have to guess likely the grip.

I notice a difference between my mbx mags and my stock sti mags. The sti mags actually seem to have more drag in the grip of the gun. They still drop free and insert and seat fine, but the mbx mags are just smoother, like they're ever so slightly smaller in outer dimensions. I also have a 9mm dvc open. I would try some other mags and if you still have an issue get in touch with sti. If other mags work then get in touch with mbx. Either company will make it right.

Other than that, random forum speculation will just lengthen the amount of time until your stuff is running correctly.

I have no known good 9mm mags to test.

Mag tuning is yielding no results for me.

Its probably the gun and not the mags anyways.

So much for trying to buy quality stuff the first time.

Everything that could go wrong with this gun is going wrong.

Even the C-more doesn't work right! It doesn't even come close to being as bright as my other C-mores. It's brightest setting is only about 60% of my normal C-mores.

Sent message to STI days ago and have heard nothing.

I was psyched to get this gun but things could not be going worse.

Only choice now is to pour money into a gunsmith to get this $3600 paperweight working.

Soooo disappointed....

I have no known good 9mm mags to test.
Mag tuning is yielding no results for me.
Its probably the gun and not the mags anyways.
So much for trying to buy quality stuff the first time.
Everything that could go wrong with this gun is going wrong.
Even the C-more doesn't work right! It doesn't even come close to being as bright as my other C-mores. It's brightest setting is only about 60% of my normal C-mores.
Sent message to STI days ago and have heard nothing.
I was psyched to get this gun but things could not be going worse.
Only choice now is to pour money into a gunsmith to get this $3600 paperweight working.
Soooo disappointed....

Don't spend more of your money just yet. Even the best companies can have a lemon slip through the door. Call sti and talk to a person. I had my comp crack on my dvc and they were very good to deal with. I'd rather not have had the issue, but shit happens. Before you abandon ship at least talk to them about it and see what can be done.

I got four MBX mags in 40 for my new CK Arms recently.  They all ran decently out of the box, but didn't feed quite as smoothly as I'd hoped.  AGW has a video out there on what to look at on these mags to make sure they will run well, so I watched it and followed the steps, now they all seem to run great.  Can load 21, but still pretty tight, so only 20 reloadable for now.  I'm convinced that 21+1 will be possible after some more break-in.

My dad also has either four or five of them, but initially had a problem with bullets ending up under the follower (old style followers, the newer ones labelled G25 were meant to rectify that issue I think).  He put Grams followers in and hasn't had any issues since.  He gets 20 reloadable without issues, but I'm not convinced he will ever get 21+1 since the Grams are thicker than the MBX followers.

I have 6 MBX's. 2 170's & 4 140's. Gun is STI lower / Infinity upper in 9mm. The mags were a bit of a pain at first. After loading full and leaving overnight a couple of times they settled in. The 170's I can load full with 29 and they will still seat. The 140's I have to drop 1 round to get to seat. Not a problem since they're used for mag change & classifiers. 1 of the 140's would not seat initially but after a little use it works fine. They all feed well but when it comes time for new springs I will probably go to Grams springs & followers based on forum advise. My COAL is 1.170.  

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased my 1st MBX 140mm 40s&w, loaded it once, and took it to OH CK Blast and it ran flawless. 20 reloadable for now. My others are old SVI tubes and SVI red followers and ISMI springs all are 19-20 reloadable. The MBX ran perfect in my old SVI SWAT pistol, and runs perfect in my LDC STI that I had built. The MBX also ran WWB 165grn fp bullets no issues, they also ran in the SVI tubes. My load length is 1.155. Just my 2 cents

Presently own (4) 40 sw mags and (4) 9mm mags all with no issues. 

Just bought two additional 9mm mags, one dropped free with no issue. Second one would not drop easily and when I tried to work the slide it was rubbing mag causing tension. Emailed MBX and same day they replied with a call tag and new mag already shipped.  Very good service!  i am impressed on how they handled this transaction.

I have been using STI tubes with Dawson basepads and Dawson followers for 40 cal in limited division.

I'm tempted by the MBX mags but it's hard to justify the price when my current mags work well.

I'm running MBX 170 and 140mm mags in both my DVC Open and CK Arms Hardcore, both in 9mm. I can get 29+1 in the 170s with both guns. So far these mag are running much better than the STI mags I had been running prior to get the MBX mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been running MBX mags for about a year and a half and all mine (.40) have been flawless in my limited guns.  I also run their 10 round mags and they're equally as impressive.  They lock back too.  All of my MBX mags (20 of them) easily fit the gauge.  All hold 21, 4 are reloadable at that capacity.

• 10 months later...

I am buying a DVC 2018 and my supplier said that the MBX 126MM IPSC are not fixing on the weapon ... another me dise that they are not falling free ... someone knows something ... I am from Brazil and it is difficult to solve this problem after!

sorry by english!

what is the capacity of the MBX mags for 40S&W with legal IPSC length ( I believe this is shorter than the 140mm used in USPSA)?

For IPSC the only mag length limit is in Open (170mm).

In Standard (and Classic) the gun has to fit the box with a mag inserted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk