Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX 2011 mags

brew460

Are MBX mags worth the money? I'm considering switching to MBX mags and currently running stock STI mags.

I've head negative things about about both brands and never really had any problems with my stock STI mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 10 140mm 9mm mags. 1 needed the mag catch window slightly tuned to be retained correctly.  Other than that, all 10 have fed excellent and been worry-free. Not a single match issue. Can't recall any practice issues. 

8 have been used in both match and practice quite a bit. 2 of them are just several months old and I generally only use those two in matches. 

I've had three different guns, and the mags have worked in each without problems. 

My  MBX 40 mags function fine as they came from the factory.  I think the "problems" some had was when they were loading long.  The MBX 40 mag has extended feed lips and will feed a SAAMI spec round into a 2011.  I load mine to 1.126" so I can use the same rounds in both my 2011 and my CZ TS.

MBX 9mm mags do not require a spacer to feed correctly.

i use MBX, as well as STi tubes with grams guts and Taran base pads. 

They both work great. 

I enjoy not having to screw with spacers in the MBX mags, and I consistently get one additional RELIABLE round with the MBX. That combined with the pink base pads from MBX makes them a winner for me. 

I've got MBX in 9 and 40. Completely happy with them. Can't speak to what you get putting the same money into a set of sti based mags, I'm guessing about the same; lots of people have stories of great reliability out of STI based mags. But since it was a matter of replacing internals and basepads on all mags to get the capacity I wanted, I went the MBX route from the start and I'd do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, TK66 said:

Anyone have feedback on the 10rd MBX mags for us in restricted states?

I dont see why they would function any differently being limited capacity. They just have a less wide spring to accommodate for the indentations on the magazine. CA shooter as well but I can have some normal stuff lol.

in 40, I never had a problem, in 9mm it functioned fine, in 38super it turned to a salt shaker and the feed lips were to tight to feed.  I've switched to Grams guts, tuned the feed lips and never had a problem again. I've read and have now bent my MBX springs up on the 2nd coil from the follower to help in feeding and I will give this a go at the range a bit to see what happens. 

I have 3 of the 2011 MBX 141 mags for the .45, which is supposedly the caliber that never works for high capacity mags in Limited. Running the first mag with 18 and the other 2 with 17 rounds apiece I have never had a problem. I am completely and 100% satified with MBX and highly recommend them. Now, my speed in Limited is what is limited........ 

I have the new 10 round limited MBX mags with both slide lock and competition followers.  They run flawless in my CK.  No problems emptying all 10 before slide lock engaged, the competition followers ran as they should, no slide lock.  I'm very, very happy with my MBX mags.  So nice to have equipment that functions as it should out of the box!  Runs perfect with no tweaking. Payton and Adrian are also very responsive, and helpful, if you ever need assistance with an order. 

mont1120,

Have 6 MBX 18 round 45 ACP magazines. Had a problem with reloading on the move. Have 19 in weapon  in first one. 2-3-4 etc have 17 in them. I have to slam the magazine in very hard, sometimes it takes 2 tries to make it work. The gun is a 2011 Edge tricked out.

does this happen to you?

Mike

It does happen to me, I have to slam that first mag in pretty hard, and use the same 17 count in my next two, To me it is not worth trying to slam the mag in on the run. I am thinking the round is a little thick near the back of the .45 causing a minuscule loss of mag space, but at 18 rounds I bet it adds up. Perhaps if the round could be totally resized, it would fit the 18 in the tube, but one round will not win or lose a match for me.

Where I shoot there is a lot of hard rock surface, and these mags have taken quite the pounding. They have retained their shape, and even the blue basepads have weathered well. I really like them for L10, they are easy to grab for reloads, and the 10 rounds run flawless. Never had a failure in Limited, except for not getting the mag in when loaded to 18.

But.......as my fellow shooters continually tell me, I am hard headed for shooting the .45, but I certainly prefer it to the .40. As a matter of fact getting the Eagle Cerokoted  this week at High Score, so I will be back at it again with L10 and Limited, with an occasional CO for fun.

I have MBX magazines that I run in both my DVC Limited (.40S&W) and DVC Open (.38SC) and I have not had any problems except with one mag that was bad out of the bag. I showed Adrian at Limited Nationals last year and he took care of it right away, I guess it was a weld point that was causing the rounds to hang up. Other than that I have not had any issues with their mags at all. 

My feed lips needed tuning out of the box. 

For some reason I occasionally get a last round that goes straight up into the barrel hood. Anyone have clue why? I'm thinking it is probably due to the rounds in shooting being short, they were originally loaded for another gun at 1.14"

Well, the two MBX mags arrived.  Feeding appears to be great so far, but one of them will not drop free.  (Neither of them are brand new, so I can't say definitively whether it's a production issue, or if this one has been dropped, etc.)

2 hours ago, GlockGuy1 said:

Well, the two MBX mags arrived.  Feeding appears to be great so far, but one of them will not drop free.  (Neither of them are brand new, so I can't say definitively whether it's a production issue, or if this one has been dropped, etc.)

mark the mag with a sharpie and insert a few times.  It may be pinching on the frame itself and will require a few taps from a brass hammer.

• 1 month later...

I use a Rick Island and STI mags, thought I was having problems at Area 1 last week, so tried an MBX made for my pistol. No real difference in function between STI or the MBX, so for the money, I will stay with STI. Oh, the issue I was having turned out to be the new barrel, had to round the edge of the ramp transition to the chamber.

sti tubes with grams springs and followers and dawson bases, have worked fine in my other STI guns, but in my dvc open 38 super they crap with a few rounds left in them.  got an mbx 170 and so far no problems.

Just tried an.MBX .40 mag for the first time at Area 1.  I can fit 21 rounds in the mag but that last round is tough to get in. Loaded the mag to capacity a few times to let the spring settle, otherwise I didn't even test it.  Started a few stages with the MBX, so 21+1 in the gun.  Then I reloaded to my tuned 20 round STI mags.  If I had to reload to an MBX mag I'd only put 20 rounds in it.  Otherwise the MBX mag ran flawlessly.  The .40 mags are perfect for those 18-21 round stages.

MBX is supposedly coming out with new stronger followers to make the mags 21 round reloadable.  I'm fine with them as is but want some of those new followers when they're available.     

Also if I shot Open I'd get a few of their 155mm mags.