Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Primer Strike Diagnosis....... (SORRY)

lowball020

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, lowball020 said:

Well coming from an M&P I was able to get my trigger pull down to 3.5.

I've had this thing as low as 2 (with a damaged trigger return spring.

Right now it's at appx 3.2 with a stock trigger return spring. 

I didn't have an increase going from a 13# hammer spring to the spring that came installed.

Whaaaaaaa?!?!

1 minute ago, MissionaryMike said:

Whaaaaaaa?!?!

Yea... I thought that too... but it is an unknown spring to me.  It might be another 13# for all I know.

Anyway... I'm going to do some of my own pencil testing when I get a chance this week just to see 

what the trigger pull/hammer spring/firing pin gives me the best combo.

has anyone tried to mill .050 (or file) off the back of the firing pin retainer.  It would have to be larger than the hammer face but perimeter would need to stay same thickness to slide in snugly.

I just thought it would give the firing pin a little more pop from the hammer

Havent done it yet.  just was thinking about it and it would be pretty easy

8 minutes ago, mfs said:

has anyone tried to mill .050 (or file) off the back of the firing pin retainer.  It would have to be larger than the hammer face but perimeter would need to stay same thickness to slide in snugly.

It's probably easier to just install a firing pin with a longer tip. Like the one Patriot Defense makes.

1 hour ago, mfs said:

I just thought it would give the firing pin a little more pop from the hammer

Havent done it yet.  just was thinking about it and it would be pretty easy

So that more of the backside of the firing pin is sticking out of the plate?  If that's what you mean, I'm not sure I see the benefit. The hole in the FP plate should be polished up nice and good so there's hardly any friction.

My thought was it will push full that much further.  I have no idea if this would help.  It is just thinking out loud.

by the way  I do have the new patriot firing pin and the PD firing pin spring.

With Winchester I am 100% good with the 15.5 spring.

I also have some cci to use up and that is why I have to stay with the 15.5 spring.

I am using the extended firing pin block

8 lbs da

2 7/8 Sa

Love the gun but thought this might work with 14 lb hammer spring

I have not sent barrel out but will eventually.  No one has the tooling yet

Mine plunks ok but bullet doesn't spin

I am loading to 1.100 OAL

I actually like the trigger pull now and I am getting used to the 8 lb double action.

One other point is I wanted to go CO but with stock 2 I am too heavy with empty mag by 5 or 6 oz.  not sure where that can be removed

Ok..... thank you all for the info everyone!!! I just need to find some time to apply and test it.  

I do have another question/theory for you all, but I will save that for post testing if I'm still experiencing the problem.

Edited by lowball020

Ok everyone.. I got a chance to play around with the different hammer springs and firing pins and here are the results of my own pencil test.

The baseline is what was in the gun and is listed first.

Unknown Hammer Spring

Henning Firing Pin

2.5# Trigger Pull

Pencil launch average appx 16-17"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unknown Hammer Spring

Stock Firing Pin

2.5# Trigger Pull

Pencil launch average appx 16-17"

15# Hammer Spring

Stock Firing Pin

2.8# Trigger Pull

Pencil launch average appx 18-19"

15# Hammer Spring

Henning Firing Pin

2.8# Trigger Pull

Pencil launch average appx 19-20"

I also found a hammer spring in the package with the stock firing pin that was REALLY stiff... I can only assume it's the stock hammer spring because of these numbers...

Suspect Stock Hammer Spring

Stock Firing Pin

3# Trigger Pull

Pencil launch average appx 23-24"

Suspect Stock Hammer Spring

Henning Firing Pin

3# Trigger Pull

Pencil launch average appx 24-25"

The henning and stock firing pin are really close with lower poundage springs... The henning only has an advantage on length as it's slightly longer.

So.. without buying any other parts... I'm going to see how the 15# spring and Henning pin do with lighting off the Freedom Munitions... if I have any hiccups on the primers with that, then I can put the stock hammer spring back in the gun between stages.

Thank you for the help everyone and I will let everyone know how the match goes this Sunday.  Hopefully I'm done with misfire/clearing jam practice!!!

Edited by lowball020

40 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Those launch numbers are really similar to what I was seeing with an EGD Medium spring which is 16.5# and seriously stout.

That is another possibility for your "stock" spring - if it isn't the actual factory Tanfoglio spring which I believe  @johnbu said launches them closer to 3 feet!

Well.... it did have 2 punches in the 28-29 range.... then when it settled @ appx 2 feet I looked at the eraser and a giant hole. Almost need to get a new pencil and retest.... but i think I got the data I was looking for.

Side note... my daughter (7) asked what I was doing.... rather than bore her with details about springs, firing pins and primers... i talked to her about the scientific process and having a theory, testing, data and conclusion!!!! 

Using factory springs in my CO prepped stock2,  a new unsharpened #2 pencil hits the ceiling in SA. The bench top to ceiling is 60" and pencil in the gun, pencil tip to bench is just at 11 or 12".   my lim pro is a handful of inches shorter, but very similar. So, SA is  OVER 48" because it hit the ceiling.  I'm running those "stack master springs" to try and groove the linear trigger motion needed to improve our shooting skills.

9 hours ago, johnbu said:

I'm running those "stack master springs" to try and groove the linear trigger motion needed to improve our shooting skills.

Quick! Trademark that, buy a truck load of springs, and start selling the new hotness in training aides for only $29.95!

Edited by SCTaylor

I am a GM ... but it stands for "Ginormous Malcontent".  Not Grand Master

1 hour ago, SCTaylor said:

Quick! Trademark that, buy a truck load of springs, and start selling the new hotness in training aides for only $29.95!

But wait, there's more. Act now and recieve a non-dominant eye occlusion device NOW WITH adhesive backing! You can adhere it to your safety glasses and no longer have to give those confusing embarrassing seductive winks to the range officer. The best part.... it's FREE! Yes, free! Just thirty three additional payments of $9.99 to cover shipping.* 

How could this deal get any better, you ask? We're so sure you will love the original "stackmaster", we're adding you to the special list of people to get the all new "stackmaster 2" !  With twice the stacking, twice the trigger pull and twice as hard to install with it's sixty pounds compression rating.  Inclusion on "the list", or as we say future ULTRA Grand Masters, is strictly limited to the first Avegadro's number of respondents. Order yours today.  A small listing fee and weekly list maintenance fees apply.

*tax, handling, boxing, processing and miscellaneous fees apply

LIGHT PRIMER STRIKES RESOLVED!!!!!

Gun ran against the Freedom Ammo with the Hennein Pin and 15# hammer spring perfectly.

but then.......  Disaster

All of a sudden the hammer wouldn't drop!!!!

Yep... Broke the slide stop pin.

Luckily I had another slide stop, but I continuously ride up on it to lock the slide back....

Where can I buy another Pin without the slide stop part??????

9 minutes ago, lowball020 said:

LIGHT PRIMER STRIKES RESOLVED!!!!!

Gun ran against the Freedom Ammo with the Hennein Pin and 15# hammer spring perfectly.

but then.......  Disaster

All of a sudden the hammer wouldn't drop!!!!

Yep... Broke the slide stop pin.

Luckily I had another slide stop, but I continuously ride up on it to lock the slide back....

Where can I buy another Pin without the slide stop part??????

Buy a new one and grind that part of the stop off...

36 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

You broke a slide stop, in a Tanfo? How many rounds?

unknown round count prior to my acquisition...  I got it in December and have appx 1000-1500 through it.

It needs to be noted that this was just the pin that broke.  Previous owner had a Pin only vs the Slidestop.

I had a full slidestop as a back up... but then with my grip, it stops the slide after every shot... so yea.. I  had a single shot gun for a whole stage last night.