Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much does the load effect the accuracy?

Sporky

I picked up my first open gun and now I'm turning to the dark side!

I am happy with it but the accuracy could be better. My first range trip was strange.....first 20 rounds out of the gun were super high. I thought it was the dot needing died in, but I moved in  close to check it in paper and found it was all overy the place as well as high. I move it up a few clicks a d tested some more. That seemed to fix the low part but still a bit shotgunish. I had my range buddy shoot it and he got the same result.

I am wondering if it is the load or break in?

Load: HS6 8.5, 1.240 oal, 125grn Bluebullet.

Gun: SPS 38 super  with 3 port comp and 2 popels

Comp seemed to work decent 

Not sure what to do to find some more accuracy. Lighter bullet , different powder, different OAL?

Oh and I am using Starling 38 super brass. I was wondering if I can try super comp brass? The rounds stack weird in MBX  mags.

Thanks in advance 

I just had popple holes done in mine and I've noticed some weird accuracy stuff going on. I shoot lead too. I've never cleaned the barrel or comp and *think* I can see slight scuffs on my comp. gonna try cleaning the barrel and comp good and reavaluate. My other thought is the popple holes don't like coated lead and might be doing something weird to it? 

First check the obvious.  Loose screws on the mount to gun or the dot to mount.  Check screws holding the grip to frame, these can do weird things.  Make sure bullets are not striking the baffles in the comp.  Also, make sure the gun is locking up properly and consistently.  The slide and/or reverse barrel plug should not touch the compensator.

I don't shoot Blues, but a lot of guns around me do and even the open guys don't have any issues with accuracy. 

58 minutes ago, superdude said:

The load can have a huge effect on accuracy. You might need to try different bullets. Some guns (barrels) don't like lead bullets that well. Try bullets with a good reputation for accuracy, such as the Hornady 125 grain HAP. 

Or Precision Delta (PD) 124 JHP, or Montana Gold 124 JHP.  Both are highly popular in USPSA and are relatively affordable in bulk quantities.

Everything is tight........don't really see any build up that is jumping out at me. 

Looks like I'll be looking for different bullets from what everyone is suggesting 

Montana seems pretty pricy. Is precision delta decent? Could a lighter bullet be the answer?

Can I use super comp brass in my super gun?

Thanks every one for the help!

some guns set for super will run SC no problem. if it doesn't run some extractor tuning will get it running. that's the only difference.

the load can affect accuracy. one particular load in my Schumann barreled SV was so bad I thought the gun was broken. group was all over a IPSC target at just 20 yards! Switched back to my regular load and had a regular group size....

some guns/barrels seem pickier than others.

generally though with open guns bad accuracy is:

loose grip

loose scope mount

loose scope

broken/wandering scope

baffle strikes in the comp (un-aligned comp or too much build up in the chambers)

too much crimp

final reason is the load. gun/barrel just does not like that particular load combo.

8 hours ago, Sporky said:

Everything is tight........don't really see any build up that is jumping out at me. 

Looks like I'll be looking for different bullets from what everyone is suggesting 

Montana seems pretty pricy. Is precision delta decent? Could a lighter bullet be the answer?

Can I use super comp brass in my super gun?

Thanks every one for the help!

Precision deltas are good bullets. Plus you can buy sample packs of 100 so you can try before you buy a ton. You can try out 124 and 115 to see what performs best. I've always used JHP because they just seem to be as accurate as i can get. No leading the comp. Nice and clean. Also Hornady HAP 125 gr and zero 38 super 125 gr are .356 diameter bullets and may help with accuracy. Chrono everything. The velocity does change a bit between all of those bullets. In my gun at least. 

I would say to check all the same stuff as everyone else (crimp especially) and as far as bullets goes...

I wouldn't personally shoot coated bullets in an open gun. I have done it with multiple brands, and the smoke and lead deposits are much more significant than with jacketed bullets. It would be nice if that were untrue, but in all of my experience it has been the case. I love coated for shooting in non compensated guns, but at major velocities and with the compensator the smoke is directed straight into your line of sight and can be quite bad depending on the light and temperature. That being said I had some very accurate loads made up with Leatherhead, Acme, and Black and Blue bullets (~1.5-2.5" at 25 yards).

I would get ahold of some Everglades, Hornady, Zero, Precision Delta, or Montana Gold bullets, preferably in both 115 and 124/25 grain weights. JHP or CMJ. The Everglades, Hornady and Zeroes are more accurate than PD or Montana Gold in my experience, but all are very good. Try some of those out and if you still have accuracy issues then report back. My guess is the groups will tighten right up..

Loads can have a great impact on accuracy. But more important is how the barrel is fit to the slide and slide stop, how the chamber is cut and how the crown was done on the barrel. If all those things were done to perfection, even a marginal load will shoot good. And an exceptional load will be awesome.

Ok I picked up some 115gr in Blue, 115 in Extreme, and I have 124 Zeros that will be here tomorrow.

Here are the powders that I have on hand:

HS6

Autocomp

AA#7

Anyone got a load for 38 super and a 115gr bullet with those powders?

I want to get some made up tonight so I can hit the range for some testing tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

Whooo hoo!  The Zero 124's came in and I hammered out 200 of them to take to the range today.  Laser beams.......

So now I think I am going to give the AA#7 a try since some people are saying it is cleaner than the HS-6.  I did notice that it is pretty dirty, but this is my first open gun and I didn't know what to expect.

I have another question.....   Will my 38 super dies work with super comp?  I had some trouble with the super feeding from brand new MBX mags.  Looks to me and my shooting buddy that the rim on the super is dragging on the round below it in the mag. I would just barely tap the slide and the round would feed.  I was thinking the super comp brass would eliminate that issue but I wanted to ask.

Much happier now guys, thanks for the support I appreciate it greatly.

The Dark Side is feeling pretty nice right now.

6 hours ago, Sporky said:

I have another question.....   Will my 38 super dies work with super comp?  I had some trouble with the super feeding from brand new MBX mags.  Looks to me and my shooting buddy that the rim on the super is dragging on the round below it in the mag. I would just barely tap the slide and the round would feed.  I was thinking the super comp brass would eliminate that issue but I wanted to ask.

Yes, 38 Super dies will work with 38 Super Comp. The only difference is the rim diameter. 

You might need to adjust the extractor, but the 38 Super Comp will feed much smoother.

On 2/17/2017 at 8:04 PM, tyler2you said:

I run a 115 gr JHP with 9.6 gr of HS-6 at 1.240 OAL (38 SC).

Check your comp carefully for any signs of bullets hitting it.  A tiny impact can cause the symptoms you're describing.

Thats funny, I run the exact same load in my STI Grandmaster and Trubor...