Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Such A Thing As An "Off Season" ?

90lxracer

This is purely informational for me in regards to the ebb and flow in the classifieds..

Coming from the drag racing world, winter is the time to kind of "hunt" for parts. It's the down time for most, and upgrades are happening and a wave of parts hit the market. Is there this type of movement in the shooting world? 

It doesn't have to even be for guns.. equipment as well.. 

Just curious if there were better or worst time to look in the classifieds..

There are more deals/options to be had after the Nationals.  More so in the Limited / Open divisions.    But honestly, I've found great deals year around, as majority of the USPSA shooters don't really take off Nov/Dec/Jan time period.  Some of the actual paid shooters will take that time off.

1 hour ago, ScottieShootz said:

But honestly, I've found great deals year around, as majority of the USPSA shooters don't really take off Nov/Dec/Jan time period. 

That is VERY dependent on where one lives. We have not shot a match since October here in my local area and the first matches of 2017 start in late march/early April. That's about 4-5 months of "off season", just here in Ohio. Further north the break is probably even longer? This is why many shooters are not happy with open nats being in March. Other than some limited indoor practice the nats would be the first match of the year! 

32 minutes ago, Sarge said:

That is VERY dependent on where one lives. We have not shot a match since October here in my local area and the first matches of 2017 start in late march/early April. That's about 4-5 months of "off season", just here in Ohio. Further north the break is probably even longer? This is why many shooters are not happy with open nats being in March. Other than some limited indoor practice the nats would be the first match of the year! 

Correct, I don't think it reached below 40* this year for more than 1-2 days.  As long as I've lived in FL, I haven't seen an offseason unless it's a holiday weekend.  Also, in terms of taking off the break, I meant, but did not clarify those shooters who actually put the gun down for a few months.  

I'm not a fan of Nats being so early, even though I won't be attending this year.  But, it does mean some Open guns may come up for sale end of march. 

Edited by ScottieShootz

Scottie - I tend to agree with you, folks around here (Houston) have been going nuts and not taking any time off.  For myself, I'm no paid shooter, but took off the last half of November thru to Jan 1. 

90 - From my ~ 1 year here on the forums, I cannot put rhyme or reason to a rush of sales. As mentioned earlier, Open was the only division I've really seen a few more than normal come on sale after nationals.  But that's more than likely guys selling back-ups after Nats waiting for the new custom build to finish.

Edited by SCTaylor

Right on... I was just wondering.

I'm still doing a lot of reading on here, and research online about gear and whatnot.. 

I will be going to check out a match locally this weekend.. I think it's this weekend anyway.. lol 

I think Sarge hits it on the head. Down here in Florida we really don't have any stop in the matches. Most of the local clubs run year round and we get really busy during the winter months. In the summer is when some of the matches seem to thin out as the heat and humidity can be almost unbearable. We have a couple of Level 2 matches here in Nov and Dec, then the Florida State Champ in January. Followed by the Florida Open in February. 

• 2 weeks later...

Up here in WI, our last USPSA match is in October and they don't start up again till the last week in March. That's unless you're within driving distance of an indoor match. I shot an IDPA match back in December while it was snowing. I took time off to bow hunt and bought my 650. Spent time figuring that out and then bought a single stack gun to start working with. I've had one day of live fire and now we're back to 20 degrees. Can't reliably chrono in this cold so i load practice ammo and dry fire. You southern guys have it made!