Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ'd first time

Hunter1998

I made it to B class in Limited and Open in my first year, but made a mistake today during a reload I discharged a round. 

My Question is:

where do you put your trigger finger while reloading and during movement in a stage?

on frame or out to the right?

best way to practice reloads and transitions?

thanks!!!

Edited by Hunter1998
Correct spelling

On frame during reload. Just off trigger when moving. I've found that I have a tendency to grip a little with my strong hand when seating a new mag and this occasionally leads to my trigger finger closing some. Placing that finger on the frame gives it something safe to press against.

On 2/12/2017 at 5:03 PM, Hunter1998 said:

I made it to B class in Limited and Open in my first year, but made a mistake today during a reload I discharged a round. 

My Question is:

where do you put your trigger finger while reloading and during movement in a stage?

on frame or out to the right?

best way to practice reloads and transitions?

thanks!!!

I put a small piece of skate tape on my frame where the tip of my finger goes. Helps with a reference point as well as being grippy and helps keep finger there

My finger has only 2 positions. On the trigger when I'm shooting and on the frame (usually touching the nub of the slide stop pin) when doing ANYTHING else. 

keeping it simple ensures it's never on the trigger when it's not supposed to be. :)

My finger has only 2 positions. On the trigger when I'm shooting and on the frame (usually touching the nub of the slide stop pin) when doing ANYTHING else. 

keeping it simple ensures it's never on the trigger when it's not supposed to be. [emoji4]

What about when you're "prepping the trigger" [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have shot several matches since me DQ and have had no issues. Watched some video from last couple of matches and doing a good job on keeping finger on frame when not actually pulling the trigger. I have really worked hard during my dry firing to keep finger on frame during transitions and reloading. Developing muscle memory.  Thanks for all the comments!

• 3 weeks later...

I keep my finger way out to the right at any time I'm not ready to fire. When I started to shoot, I placed my finger on the frame. One stage I was certain I placed my finger on the right spot of the frame, the RO said it was actually hard for him to see if my finger were on the bang switch or not. So i learned to keep my finger way out, and have since then been thanked by several RO's for beeing so clear. As I see it, it's another way to eliminate the risk of getting a DQ :)

I received my first Dairy Queen award yesterday. I was however unable to treat myself to a blizzard as the local DQ wasn't open yet! Yes, I make my screw ups early in the AM. 

Small stage, 10 metric with a drop turner and a swinger. Took first 3 on right, started moving left, stumbled slightly and sent one into the berm. Talk about feeling like a complete imbecile. My first pistol match I got 1 "finger" warning and explanation from the RO. Since that day when not shooting my finger rides against the frame. Dry fire, practice, maintenance, always. Never had another problem or even warning until yesterday. I guess when I lost my balance I instinctively clenched up. On a positive note I did have it pointed directly into the berm. Still my fault and responsibility. 

Nothing left to do but unload & show clear, apologize to everyone, go home, & drink enough hooch to kill a bull elephant and rub that feeling out. Oh, and think on it all week. 

^^^^^^ I do like the idea of engaging the safety while moving. Have never tried or even thought of it but I'm going to give it some more consideration. 

Stay safe guys, don't be me. Long, lonely ride home at 9:30 in the morning. 

2 hours ago, TheBear said:

I keep my finger way out to the right at any time I'm not ready to fire. When I started to shoot, I placed my finger on the frame. One stage I was certain I placed my finger on the right spot of the frame, the RO said it was actually hard for him to see if my finger were on the bang switch or not. So i learned to keep my finger way out, and have since then been thanked by several RO's for beeing so clear. As I see it, it's another way to eliminate the risk of getting a DQ :)

+1

R.O.'s are not perfect, if it is obvious that you are doing things the safe way then you protect yourself from a bad call.