Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

145gr RN or 147gr FP?

FlashAndPoof

I've always loaded 147gr over 115gr or 124gr because I also like keeping the ammo subsonic whenever I want to shoot suppressed. It just makes it easier for me to have one setup/load for all my 9mm so I don't have to readjust the bulletfeeder, etc. I was looking at buying some more bullets when I noticed Acme has 145gr RN available. Any advantage to the 145gr over the 147gr? Any user experience?

Interesting question, I don't have the answer, but 2 potential ideas that the smart folks here may be able to comment/answer.

1) FP 'should' provide more bearing area in the barrel, without knowing/seeing your bullet that  is just a guess

2) The RN profile may be better/worse suited to your particular barrel.  The 147 FPs (I don't have any RN) that I've loaded for my CZ (requires a shorter OAL than most) come pretty close to hitting the powder charge (using N320) for minor PF.

Let us know which you decide to go with and almost as importantly, what the results are!

I asked Acme the same question and was told their pistol team shot the RN. Consequently I began shooting them and have shot many thousands and have been very pleased. I did order some FN and intended on loading them this coming weekend. I most likely won't be able to chrono them for a few weeks though...