Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most popular CZ mags?

thompsoncustom

CZ mags  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 2/13/2017 at 0:10 PM, TennJeep1618 said:

I tried the Mecgar's, but I couldn't get them to fall free in my guns.  I've found that 18rnd SP-01 mags with +10% springs work the best for me, though they aren't cheap.

This has been my experience with two accu-shadows also (the upper portion of the SP-01 mags is narrower than the 17rd Mecgars--they do work if you hold the mag release a bit longer).  I prefer SP-01 mags plus Springer Precision basepads and 10% springs.

4 hours ago, mrasam said:

This has been my experience with two accu-shadows also (the upper portion of the SP-01 mags is narrower than the 17rd Mecgars--they do work if you hold the mag release a bit longer).  I prefer SP-01 mags plus Springer Precision basepads and 10% springs.

Interesting. My mecgar woth springer pads pop right out. Sure it's the mags?

2 hours ago, Bullets said:

Best I could figure out was that I hit the mag release very quickly in match situations and the mag catch was "grabbing" the mag before the mag was clear and it wasn't dropping.  I could not reproduce it in practice--it would only happen in matches--so I thought it was fine before the first match I used them in.  I probably could have re-trained my timing to solve the issue, but I didn't have the issue with the SP-01 mags, so I just switched back.  If you look at the two mag styles next to each other the profile difference is quite clear.  I can see how not everyone would have the problem and I don't intend to disparage the Mecgars--they do every thing else well for me and I still used them for practice.

3 hours ago, Bullets said:

I explained the problem and sent pictures to Mecgar, asking if they had any suggestions.  They told me that wasn't normal and replaced all of my mags for free.  I was getting serious wear on the part just above the mag catch hole.  I even relived the inside of the mag catch and nothing helped.  The mags would fall about 1/2", then stop.

Edited by TennJeep1618

17 round Mecgar and their +2 baseplates. Simply the best mag going. It's the same mag that CZ ships with the 2. The Nickle/Chrome (whatever it is) being the best of the two.

They are made with a slightly thicker metal, and have a few upgrades to their design, the rear, top of the mag has a rounded cut now instead of a square cut, where the slide goes through to strip the round from the mag. As well at the top front the mag has a lip that sticks up to stop the next round from partially feeding forward as the top round goes into battery. This only becomes an issue during a mag change.

As for them not falling out of regular Shadows, that is a known issue and easily fixed. Bend the mag catch spring so that the mag catch can't go into the pistol too far, binding the mag in place. 

The MecGar can hang up in regular CZ's but not the Shadow 2 as they've changed the mag catch button significantly. But for a regular CZ it's a 5 minute fix to bend the mag catch spring. The mags last a lot longer. My practice mags are used almost exclusively on an indoor range with concrete floors, I have had to tweak the lips maybe 5 or 6 times in 3 years of running them. The same 8 mags were also my match mags the first season I ran them, so right now somewhere around 250,000 rounds through those 8 mags, and in Canada we can only have 10 in the mag, so lots and lots of mag changes with the mags slamming into the floor. To fix the lips I just take another mag and smash the lips together a tad until it looks right. I've replaced the springs 4 times as well. 1 mag also survived a nice case head separation which slightly mangled the front of the mag and wrecked the follower. A leatherman to bend the front tang and a new follower and all was good. MecGar also makes a dented/pinned version in 10 round for places that require that (I pinned my 17/19 mags myself before those became available). The regular CZ mags with the square cut on the top at the back crack pretty quickly I find, especially with the concrete floors, I have yet to crack the new MG ones. In all honesty I don't know why anyone would use any other mag.