Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question for open steel shooters

nikdanja

So I'm at the range and I shot a guys open 9mm steel gun and it was really sweet. But this guy didn't have a comp on his gun and I asked why before I shot it. Then I shot his bunny fart loads and I noticed very minimal dot movement. So I don't understand why open guys shoot a higher velocity bullet to work the comp when they can just run crazy low bunny fart loads like this guy at steel matches. 

Edited by nikdanja

On the rare occasion I shoot steel, I use my regular 172 PF load because that's what I shoot 95% of the time. I think changing my load would screw up my timing (and possibly the function of the pistol) Besides, I like to make everyone cover their ears when I shoot.

3 hours ago, nikdanja said:

why open guys shoot a higher velocity bullet to work the comp when they can just run crazy low bunny fart loads. 

I shoot USPSA, MultiGun and Steel with my OPEN gun.

Don't want to have to adjust the sights every week for a different load.

I just depends on which is your primary sport, I shoot 9 major in USPSA and don't want to change anything to shoot the occasional steel match.

That being said, 3gr of a fast powder under a 115 w/o a comp is pretty sweet for steel (not sure if it's any faster though).

21 hours ago, nikdanja said:

So I'm at the range and I shot a guys open 9mm steel gun and it was really sweet. But this guy didn't have a comp on his gun and I asked why before I shot it. Then I shot his bunny fart loads and I noticed very minimal dot movement. So I don't understand why open guys shoot a higher velocity bullet to work the comp when they can just run crazy low bunny fart loads like this guy at steel matches. 

I think it's mainly because many of the open guns are setup to run major. Many open guns won't run on the bunny fart loads. Especially in the colder weather. 

My Open gun will not shoot Minor loads reliably.  I converted my 40 S&W CZ 75 Tactical Sport to be a dedicated Minor Open gun for Steel Challenge and outlaw competitions where everything is scored Minor, no matter what.

3.3gr Alliant e3 under a Rainier 135gr Copper Plated bullet goes 810fps (109PF) with the factory slide and barrel, and the muzzle doesn't rise one iota.  If I have to knock down steel, I use the compensated upper and 3.5gr e3 under a 155gr Rainier.  Again, the dot doesn't move at all.  That load makes 140PF.  It kicks less than a standard velocity 22 in a 1911.

You only need lots of slow powders and high velocity when you shoot Major.  BTW, I do sometimes shoot my Open Major gun for SC using the same ammo I use for USPSA Open.