Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Parts Advice

I'm looking into building a new PCC and am looking at what parts to use. I want something that uses glock magazines and offers the Bolt Hold Open feature. I know some of them are in the lowers, some in the uppers and I don't know where to start.  I've been looking at Palmetto and New Frontier. Also what bolt works the best and buffer system. I'm also am looking for a 14.5 in. Barrel so I can pin a muzzlebreak onto it. Thanks for any help

1bcb0179a30071b69e06c4e68a650b39.jpg

This is the parts list for my build. No SBR restrictions in my area, so I used an 8.5" barrel. Substitute barrel for KVP or Faxon for your length and you should be good to go. Runs best with CAR spring, so may want to just get the KVP 7.5 oz buffer, instead of their kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone I think I've got just about everything I need figured out. What size red dots does everyone use. I'm looking at 3 moa and 6 moa. What does everyone else use and what brand, I know most matches with PCC don't make them shoot past 100 yards and most shooting is close

I've had a couple of optics on my PCC in the last few months... I have a pretty bad astigmatism, and some don't provide a round dot for me..recently using a Trijicon TA44 1.5x16, but the slight magnification was a little slow transitioning between multiple poppers....going back to a Vortex SPARC II with a 2moa dot...the center dot in my Vortex Spitfire is a little smaller than I would prefer, and the concentric rings a little busy... I do like the ability to focus the Spitfire though, and the reticule is engraved on the prism, so you still have an aiming point if the battery dies... good luck

12 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Standard plastic C-More railway with a 6MOA dot works the best for me. Just like my open gun and fast. No riser needed with no knobs in your field of view. Thanks, Eric

How does the 6 Moa work on longer range targets like 50-100 yards

What is up with 9mm parts these days? Can NOT find a side charging upper in stock ANYWHERE, so decided to fall back to a slick-side 9mm upper. Still not a lotta joy. I get that most of these places have the same material "suppliers" but there doesn't seem to be anything in the pipeline. Any ideas where I should look? Tried the usual suspects listed above. JSE Surplus has a Yankee Hill in stock, but I haven't read much about them.

19 minutes ago, gatortommy said:

Spinta just had their 9 mm slick side upper on sale for $99. I picked one up for a shorty upper I built and am real happy with it so far. Looks like they still have some in stock, but no longer on sale.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up! I had heard of them but always just for barrels. Never thought about bolts and other goodies. Snagged a couple of those uppers this morning!

Hello: The 6MOA works great for me. I turn the dot down so I look through it for long shots out to 50 yards. When I shot the Texas Carbine match years ago I used a 1-3 power scope since the long shots were at 110 yards or so. You have to know where the gun shoots out at that distance. On another note I think all the upper parts are being used for complete uppers so the companies can try to get rid of there 223 stuff. Not many people buying 223 stuff right now and I think that market is tapped out for now. Take a look at Matrix Arms, they had some side charge 9mm uppers for sale. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Are you going to shoot factory ammo or tuned reloads? I have the JP silent buffers and I am tuning them to my reloads. I am also using a 223 carbine spring with a Rock River Arms 5.4oz buffer in another setup. I also am using a 4.3oz buffer with a 308 spring and 223 spring. I have not tried the Taccom setup yet since Tim is still testing as well and then he will be offering a complete setup he told me. I will say that the JP buffer setup is quieter than the standard spring setup. I don't think there is really a wrong setup but there as some that are better than others. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Are you going to shoot factory ammo or tuned reloads? I have the JP silent buffers and I am tuning them to my reloads. I am also using a 223 carbine spring with a Rock River Arms 5.4oz buffer in another setup. I also am using a 4.3oz buffer with a 308 spring and 223 spring. I have not tried the Taccom setup yet since Tim is still testing as well and then he will be offering a complete setup he told me. I will say that the JP buffer setup is quieter than the standard spring setup. I don't think there is really a wrong setup but there as some that are better than others. Thanks, Eric

Eric - With all of your work on testing different buffer systems, have you ever tried something like the Blitzkrieg hyrdaulic buffer?  Haven't read a whole lot, but the people who have one seem very happy with them.

Hello: I did try a hydraulic buffer a couple of years ago in an AR15. Not sure of the maker since it did not belong to me. I was afraid the seal would fall and it would not work any longer. Hard for a spring to completely fail, they usually just get weaker over time. I think the hydraulic does have some great points just like a damper or shock on a car. The JP and RRA arms both use "O" rings to take out some of the bounce. I have done the same with rubber washers and steel washers in the back of the buffer tube. Lots of ways you could go but in the end it is pretty hard to beat a spring and a weight setup. Shotgunners have been using mercury and moving shot weights for years to reduce recoil. If I could try one again with my 9mm I would gladly do so but for now I am using the others. Thanks, Eric

What is up with 9mm parts these days? Can NOT find a side charging upper in stock ANYWHERE, so decided to fall back to a slick-side 9mm upper. Still not a lotta joy. I get that most of these places have the same material "suppliers" but there doesn't seem to be anything in the pipeline. Any ideas where I should look? Tried the usual suspects listed above. JSE Surplus has a Yankee Hill in stock, but I haven't read much about them.

I tried to find a New Frontier Armory side-charging upper online for over a month without luck. I stopped into their store in Las Vegas while on a trip and they had them in stock. I'd suggest calling their retail store if they show out of stock online.

On 2/15/2017 at 10:28 PM, 1911luvr said:

I tried to find a New Frontier Armory side-charging upper online for over a month without luck. I stopped into their store in Las Vegas while on a trip and they had them in stock. I'd suggest calling their retail store if they show out of stock online.

Did you happen to ask what the issue was with supply to dealers? I'm on like 3 different retailers' notification lists, and have been for a few months now.

40 minutes ago, RigPig said:

Did you happen to ask what the issue was with supply to dealers? I'm on like 3 different retailers' notification lists, and have been for a few months now.

I got a notification that Joe bobs got these in on thursday. They still have the matrix uppers in stock now. 

No, I was in too big a hurry to tell them to wrap it up! As soon as I saw it I had visions of being at Walmart when they put the .22lr ammo out, so I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough.

7 hours ago, bluesman2a said:

I got a notification that Joe bobs got these in on thursday. They still have the matrix uppers in stock now. 

They got NFA side chargers in? I'll pass on the Matrix upper. I must have missed a notification and need to reset it. I see that KVP barrels are finally back in stock there