Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prairie Dog Micrometer Perfect Powder Flow Control

Does or has anyone used one on their Dillion press ?  I found it on the Ballistic Tools website for $36.98 and figure it worth a try . It's alot like the $70 unit that Uniquetek sells , you remove the powder slide screw and locktite the prairie dog stem into the block  

Edited by shriner

I bought 4 for myself and some friends after having seen a few posts about it.
I already had the Uniquetek one and wanted to save a few £$¥! I put them away in a drawer and when it came time to install them I was gutted that there was so much play that it was worse than the original Dillon option which has zero play.
I was outside the return period so had to eat the loss.
Another good example of buy cheap buy twice.

I was able to salvage the micrometer a little by taking some copper filaments and soldering them in place to reduce the play. The play is caused by the clip that is on the threaded shift has a small gap which allows the thread and consequently your powder bar to move about providing inconsistencies in the drop.

I only use this setup for IPSC loads as the tolerance required is not that great.
If you do buy one, check to see if they have fixed the problem or buy if you are prepared to mod it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I would not recommended it,i had the exact same free play problem as described above, i used a piece of fine wire around the notch where the c-clip retainer goes on the threaded shaft to take out the free play, still not perfect but its ok for Uspsa loads.

Chip

3 hours ago, shriner said:

...how is everyone about the uniquetek powder meaure?

I have one and like it.

I have used this one with a number of different powders in loading both 9mm and .45 ACP, and it has worked flawlessly for me. I record the micrometer reading for a specific load in my log book and am able to return to that setting as needed.

The only caveat, if you will, is that the numbers on the micrometer are a bit on the small side. If you're old enough to need them, just keep a pair of reading glasses on the bench and you'll be fine. One other thing -- you have to know how to read a micrometer. For those who may not know or have forgotten, Google is your friend.

All things considered, I'm pleased with it. Hope this helps. Best wishes... 

The Uniquetek is worth it, especially if you change your loads with different bullet weights.
I log each session and can always come back to that powder drop. I always re weigh and it's always extremely close.
A Deluxe press deserve that little bit extra... Get one!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Prairie Dog micrometers are garbage. So much slop in the knob that they are worse than the OEM bolt. Immediately sent two of mine back. Uniquetek? Now that is a sweet upgrade [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk