Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optics slide cut depths

scottlep

Since I have a mill, I have had a few people ask if I can do slide cuts on their Glocks, Sig 320s, etc for slide mounted optics. I am familiar with how deep cuts can be on 1911 slide, but not any of the striker guns. Anyone know of a good resource for the dimensions of the cuts on various guns? I am mostly looking for how deep I can go before I hit something of importance and ruin a slide.

Thanks,

Scott

Just now, Steve RA said:

By looking at the back and bottom of slide you should be able to see where everything goes when the slide is assembled.

Yes, thanks, I understand that. I was wondering if anyone had actual specs or blueprints available for various guns and optics.

There's no one answer.

Depends on the slide model, the optic, does the customer want the optic milled in front the dovetail, mill the dovetail out completely, etc. All that plays a role in how deep a particular slide can be milled.

Drawing 3D solid models of the slides is the safest bet. That's what we did so when we get an optic we've never milled before, it's very simple to see what we can and can't do in regards to certain optics only working on certain slides, how far it can be milled without compromising firing pin block recesses, etc.

Edit: If you have software to do it.

Edited by PrimaryBruce