Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SNS Casting 220gr in 10mm

thormx538

Anyone else using these? I worked up a load with 800X that gets me around 1150fps in my 6" LWD barreled G20.

The problem I'm having is this recent batch I got generally measures > .402", which was causing a distinct bulge in my case at the base of the bullet when seated.

I process all of my 10mm brass first through a Lee FCD to do a push-through size, then a full length size/decap with a normal Lee .40/10mm sizer (not an EGW or undersized die).

Belling was done with the Lee powder/expander die.

When I taper crimped (Hornady taper crimp die) to remove the bell, I was having chambering issues. I finally ran the completed round through the Lee FCD for a push through sizing, and that ironed the bulge out a bit -- I assume it swaged the bullet down a bit.

2 questions -- has anyone else run into this issue with these bullets causing noticeable bulges when loaded, and is running them through the push-through sizer an acceptable solution, or is there something better I can do?

Edited by thormx538

I'm using the 220gr FP .401 SNS.  Coated.  Mine are measuring at .4005 to .401.  I use a Lee turret press and Lee dies.  My finished round measures .416 near the base and .420 near the top.  My factory hydroshocks are measuring .418 at the top. Mine plunk and work fine in my factory G20 barrel. I'm loading these as soft as I can get away with.

Thanks for the in-depth response!

I believe it is a case thickness thing going on here, specifically with Armscor (A USA headstamp) brass. I believe that brass is thicker than the Underwood and Starline brass I have, which is causing a more pronounced bulge on completed rounds using those cases. FWIW, Federal (FC headstamp) cases had no noticeable bulge, indicating the brass is thinner.

These are the uncoated SNS bullets, and of the 20 or so I measured, a lot are 0.4015" with about 7 or 8 of them at .402 or .4025.

Basically, I had bought a 100rd sample pack to do my workup with (used 50 of them), and then purchased a 500 pack to load. The sample pack bullets seemed to be consistently .4015 or below, with the larger diameter ones only showing up in the 500 pack.

Since they are uncoated anyways, and my LWD barrel has traditional rifling, I went ahead and loaded the rest of them up and used the Lee FCD to remove the excessive bulge that happened on some of the cases at the base of the bullet -- it measured 0.4250 on some of the loaded rounds using A USA cases.

Once passed through the Lee FCD, everything chambers fine in my barrel, and there is no bulge. 

Since I have a traditional rifling barrel and the bullets are uncoated, from a methodology standpoint, running the rounds through the FCD as I did is not an unsafe practice, is it? Meaning the bullet was reduced in diameter as the round went through the FCD -- not that the brass wall was somehow thinned in that area, right?

Duly noted. Again, thanks for the detailed response.

I have not slugged my barrel yet to see what the diameter is of the grooves.

Worst case for me, I will make sure to check the leading of the bore when I use this ammo. I made it as a hunting/woods defense load, so It should be low volume anyways.