Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Sport Orange technical thread.

NoKimberDave

11 hours ago, glock24 said:

Who is replacing the plastic trigger?  Anything metal out there yet?

I think shooting 2011's might be where I started liking the feel of plastic triggers, so not replacing. 

If I was going to replace though, I would want to know that the metal trigger would not add enough weight so that the gun could fire if dropped. Probably not a problem, but something on that particular gun that I would want to think through.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/17/2017 at 3:48 PM, xXGearheadXx said:

Just an FYI, right after I got done cleaning my S2, I checked the frame width of the TSO and S2.  To my surprise, the width of the frame on the TSO and S2 are identical. I was able to install the S2 safety into my TSO and I think this safety is the way to go with the TSO. 

The stock safeties are too far forward for those of us with small hands to reach. The CZC larger rocker safety is too easy to accidentally engage (as I became all too aware of at the Alabama sectional last week).  Not to mention the right side ambi safety can be held upward if you get a little too high. The thin right side on the S2 safety eliminates this issue. 

I'm not sure if CZ has these up for sale yet but if they are, I believe they are the way to go. If nothing else it should help some of you justify a shadow2.  

After my match tomorrow i'll see if the S2 mag release is compatible with the TSO as well.  The S2 mag release is awesome.  

IMG_4723.JPG

Attempted to install a S2 wide safety in my TSO just now and it didn't fit... did yours drop right in? I was able to physically get the s2 safety to go into the frame if I removed the entire sear assembly.. once that was out it was apparent the safety shaft that goes into the frame was too wide 

On 3/24/2017 at 11:31 PM, Hi_Im_Vinh said:

Attempted to install a S2 wide safety in my TSO just now and it didn't fit... did yours drop right in? I was able to physically get the s2 safety to go into the frame if I removed the entire sear assembly.. once that was out it was apparent the safety shaft that goes into the frame was too wide 

Yep, it dropped right in.  Can you post pics of the issue you're having?  

7 hours ago, xXGearheadXx said:

Yep, it dropped right in.  Can you post pics of the issue you're having?  

I reassembled it,  to fit i would have to fit that safety....being that it belongs to a friend I can't modify it 

The thicker stub near the actual safety is what got hung up going in, not the thinner shaft that the sear spring rest in

Any think the safety on their TSO is too stiff?  I'm talking about the effort it takes to rotate it?  The force required to rotate mine is about as high as the force to click into the detents.  I wish it was smoother and lighter between the detents.

Anyone ever improve this with polishing?  If so, where?

Thanks

3 hours ago, glock24 said:

Any think the safety on their TSO is too stiff?  I'm talking about the effort it takes to rotate it?  The force required to rotate mine is about as high as the force to click into the detents.  I wish it was smoother and lighter between the detents.

Anyone ever improve this with polishing?  If so, where?

Thanks

Mine is stiff as well... one recommendation to smoothen the engagement of the safety is to 1000grit sand the detent that contacts the safety. Haven't done it to mine yet, I just got used to the stiffness . Others like this because it prevents the safety from accidentally flipping up

I took my TSO to the Aussie CZ importer last night and tried fitting a Shadow 2 wide safety to it.  It fit no problems.  The shaft of the S2 safety is 2-3mm shorter than the CZC ext safety but this only causes it to sit just below the hole in the rh safety, instead of just above.

I still prefer the CZC safety though, probably because I've been using one for the last few years and am used to it. I've also modified mine by relieving the front corner (so it's more triangle shaped now) to clear my weak hand thumb.  The only problem I have with it is occasionally bumping it on when shooting WHO.

I also fit the CZC safety to the S2 and it fit and works fine.  This is potentially useful as CZ are not making these parts for the S2 at present.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, MRevolutionIX said:

Had the TSOs out this weekend to sight in the dawson fronts I installed and tried out a few different recoil spring weights. All the testing was done with the factory included 16lb mainspring. 

Man that 12lb recoil spring looked really good. Did you also have the buffer installed?

56 minutes ago, Hi_Im_Vinh said:

I ended up using a 12# in my TSO when I tested out both 13 and 14 lb springs , felt more smoother to me and I was able to hit the steel much faster with transitions

With or without buffer? I think running the buffer is a risk for competition. 

1 hour ago, Superpipe9 said:

Does taking out the buffer change the felt recoil?

I didn't do the tests without the included shock buffers. But at home, wheb manually racking the slide with and without, there is a noticable difference in feel and sound. 

1 hour ago, Superpipe9 said:

With or without buffer? I think running the buffer is a risk for competition. 

Inspecting the buffer after about 500 rounds. I will NOT be running one in competition. I did also try a hard plastic (black in color) shock buffer that was included in another TS I have and it cause failure to feed malfunctions with the 14lb spring. The rounds were wedged between the bottom of the feed ramp and the third rail of the slide. 

Does anyone actually send a second shot that quickly in a match?  Do you guys think having a gun that can do .10 splits on double-taps (or whatever split time is in this video) helps in competition?  I ask genuinely because I have a habit of not sending the second shot until I have a good sight picture, and I'm quite sure I couldn't see the sights recover this quickly to make a confident A-zone hit.

25 minutes ago, adamge said:

Does anyone actually send a second shot that quickly in a match?  Do you guys think having a gun that can do .10 splits on double-taps (or whatever split time is in this video) helps in competition?  I ask genuinely because I have a habit of not sending the second shot until I have a good sight picture, and I'm quite sure I couldn't see the sights recover this quickly to make a confident A-zone hit.

It sure helps on a stage like this. ?  

Edited by MRevolutionIX

8 hours ago, adamge said:

I ask genuinely because I have a habit of not sending the second shot until I have a good sight picture, and I'm quite sure I couldn't see the sights recover this quickly to make a confident A-zone hit.

The video didn't address your question. At that distance you do not need a front sight and are just pointing and focusing on the target. 

Enos talks a bit about 5 different types of focus in his book based upon target difficulty, it is pretty good stuff. Some of the defense oriented trainers will have you tape over your front sight for close distance practicing. 

Most folks (me) neglect practicing really close and easy targets, so when we shoot them at a match we are either not taking advantage of the speed potential of point shooting, or else we are point shooting but it feels uncomfortable. You get the alphas but might feel like you are shooting mikes.

All that said, I can not pull the trigger faster than about 0.18 even if I'm just shooting into a berm.  

I agree. In fact just this last Saturday a match I was in had two stages where we had to run up to clear a wall and behind was an array of four full size targets with one no-shoot in the middle covering a bit of the targets.  By the time you cleared the wall I would say they were 3 yard shots, and as I always do on shots that close I was full target focus and not looking at my sights at all, just watching the holes I was making and pulling the trigger.  I've encountered this enough in matches that I go to point shooting naturally.  As you say though, I never practice it, and my splits were not especially fast - in fact they were slow compared to this video.

Also the part in the video with the ~1s draw and ~1s reloads, I'm more of a 1.6s draw and 1.9s reload kind of guy.

On 3/22/2017 at 1:39 PM, APL-G35 said:

Thanks. I modified the safety engagement so it will only be in safe when it's fully up in safe position. Hopefully this will keep it from blocking the leg of the sear when it's just moved slightly up from the "off" position.

I'm having the same problem as some of the other guys here.  Can I ask what modifications you made to the safety so that it will only be in safe when it's fully up in safe position?  Thanks!

On 3/24/2017 at 11:31 PM, Hi_Im_Vinh said:

Did you manage to get the S2 wide safety to work on your TSO?  I'm hoping I could replace my stock TSO safety also.  Thanks.