Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Airsoft 1911 ?

M Spangler

Hi guys and gals. 

I'm looking to get a nice 1911 for some practice in the basement. Any suggestions? 

I read a few old threads suggestions TM or KWA but I know a lot has changed in the last few years. 

I want something to make "dryfire" practice a little more interesteing. 

Thanks guys and gals! 

Tokyo Marui (TM) is still the best option out there. 

That being said, I did order a Armorer Works 2011 (rebranded WE) just this week to see if it is closer to TM than WE used to be in the past.  (WE was pretty much junk in the past.)

The appeal there is closer physical/cosmetic representation, but we'll see if function/reliability has improved.

In the past, I ran propane and it works ok if you are in moderate to warm climate.  During cold winter months, isn't going to work well.

I've since switched to hooking up the mags to a compressor and the performance is much more consistent and MUCH cheaper in the long run.  In retrospect, I should have done that sooner.

Thank you! I'll look into that. 

What type of compressor do younneed? Sounds like you charge the mags off the compressor right? I have a small compressor at home but an 80 gallon at the shop next door. I'll do some research on that. 

Any model suggestions? I'm thinking single stack because I have a 1911. Suggestions on the best supplier to deal with! Thanks again! 

I'm using a Porter 150psi, 6gal compressor....about $100, so nothing special.  Running gun about 110psi.

Google "CQB Russian HPA adapter" and just pick a retailer you like -> these are nicely-machined adapters that replace the gas fill valves in each magazine.  

https://ampedairsoft.com/parts-and-fittings/

There is a hose at that site that plugs directly into that fitting and then stick a typical shop QD on the other side.....

https://ampedairsoft.com/amped-custom-amped-line/

TM would be my first look for a 1911 as well.  KWA makes good stuff so would be looking into those as well.  Not sure about the WE ones or others, as I haven't looked into the 1911s as much.

Redwolf Airsoft is a great retailer, but overseas.  Not a big deal, but some people don't like ordering from overseas.  AirsoftGI, Evike, Airsoft Atlanta....I think all of those are pretty well-known.  KWA sells on Amazon it appears, so sake return policy there as well if you don't like something.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick short-term follow-up on the Armorer Works acquisition: Running well, 50+ mags through it, hitting POI.
Safety sticks a bit going back into safe sometimes, not a big deal. Nice fiber optic front sight, I blacked out the rear fibers.
Trigger is actually really good.
It is a bit light, but overall I'm happy with it so far. Nice replica that is fairly close to my Hayes Custom sight tracker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Not trying to hijack the thread, but...

Austin, how would you compare the Armorer Works to the TM 5.1 in fit and finish?

I'm trying to decide between the two and I could sure use some advice.

Also: is there an ultra lightweight hose that you recommend between the compressor and the short hose you listed?

I shoot a STI 2011 IRL.

17 hours ago, Stealsack said:

Not trying to hijack the thread, but...

Austin, how would you compare the Armorer Works to the TM 5.1 in fit and finish?

I'm trying to decide between the two and I could sure use some advice.

Also: is there an ultra lightweight hose that you recommend between the compressor and the short hose you listed?

I shoot a STI 2011 IRL.

Good questions.  I'm pleasantly surprised with the Armorer Works at this point.  I think I'm over 100+ mags' worth on it so far, and it has been running well.  Specifically, I picked this one up.

• The slide fit is much tighter on the TM 5.1.  The AW has some slight side-to-side wobble.  
  • The AW finish on the slide and frame are good, doesn't look cheap or unfinished.  The TM slide is plastic of course and looks it.  To me, the AW looks better.....it is metal, but very light of course.  
  • The front fiber sight is nicer and more of what we use in competition (Dawson) on the AW compared to the TM.  The TM has a plastic front with a painted dot.
  • The rear sight on the TM is more like what we use in competition (adjustable rear, blacked out), while the AW rear sight is nice but has two fibers to create a 3-dot sight setup.....I blacked out the two rear fibers instead of bothering to change out the whole sight.  The AW should have used a rear sight like the TM.
  • I prefer the grip on the AW since it is closer to the PT aggressive on my Hayes gun.  It also is finished nicely, doesn't feel cheap, although it is obviously much lighter than a real steel grip.  LOL!  The TM grip is fine, but it is not shaped quite correctly and definitely looks/feels dated in terms of "that is an airsoft replica".
  • The AW has shot great thus far.  Was POA/POI out of the box.  Haven't done a side-by-side accuracy test, but it is not significantly worse than the TM at the garage distances I'm doing on scaled targets.  Both are very consistent.
  • The trigger out of the box on the AW is closer to my Hayes 2011.  Shorter take-up and shorter reset than the stock TM 5.1.  I think it is better/closer to my real Hayes than the TM.  However, I did have to bend the sear spring leg in a bit because it wasn't catching intermittently out of the box......so the gun would go burst-fire randomly.  Bent it in a bit and it has been perfect semi ever since.
  • Mags for the TM 5.1 work in the AW.
  • My TM 5.1 was upgraded with an aftermarket metal slide/hybrid barrel combo, so it was heftier and gave a bit more recoil than a stock TM.  The slide/hybrid barrel combo is nicer than the AW.......until the island literally broke off the barrel, as the manufacturer had only spot-welded it at two areas on both sides.  It was sent back to them to fix, so we'll see.
  • We'll see about long-term results.......I think I was somewhere north of 300+ mags' worth of BBs through the TM before a nozzle broke............no other problems that I can recall.  I'll have to look at my log sheet at home to confirm.  With the AW, just a bit over 100 mags through it.  

For the money, my opinion right now is that it is hard to beat the AW.  Closer in feel overall and trigger to my competition gun.  Functionality and accuracy has been good to go thus far.  

Air compressor hose - I should probably replace the one I'm using between the compressor and the QD hose discussed above.  I'm using (I think) standard PVC hose, so it has some weight to it.  There are times I've noticed it when getting established on the first target after the draw, but ensuring there is enough slack prior to draw makes it not bother me much.  I don't notice it at all during target transitions, arrays, etc.  Haven't honestly had time to go hit up Lowes or whatever to see if they have a lighter one.

Edited by AustinWolv

Awesome info, thanks very much!

I'm not opposed to buying the TM + metal slide and barrel upgrade if you think it is worth doing.

I should order a green gas mag to do the hose attachment, is there anything else I should consider?

What kind of "ammo"?

Will it fit my DAA Race Master?  What holster do you use?

Thanks again! 

20 hours ago, Stealsack said:

I'm not opposed to buying the TM + metal slide and barrel upgrade if you think it is worth doing.

I should order a green gas mag to do the hose attachment, is there anything else I should consider?

What kind of "ammo"?

Thanks again! 

Metal slide/barrel upgrade is just up to your cosmetic desire.  Airsoft Masterpiece was the brand I used.  May require some minor fitting of the rail slots to the frame rails.  Trigger can be tweaked by playing with the leaf spring.

The TM mag as-is will be fine to run with the hose attachment.  I was running the gun about 110psi from the compressor.  

Use black BBs.  You won't see them, so they won't distract you and mess with your visual picture of learning what you need to see of the target and/or sights per what kind of target it is.  Weight of BB isn't terribly important, as you can set the hop-up on the pistol to get flat trajectory.  I like using .25g as the heavier mass is more accurate from what I've seen, but just garage distances don't really matter unless you are working really small targets.

Not sure about the RaceMaster.  I use a Safariland GLS for 3gun, and both the TM and AW drop right into it.  

21 hours ago, Stealsack said:

What kind of "ammo"?

Thanks again! 

An aluminum slide and barrel will definitely make the gun feel more realistic.  A new hop up and inner barrel will definitely make the gun shoot better. 

Alpha Airsoft is a great place to purchase slides, upgrades, etc.. 

Upgraded mag seals is also an essential upgrade IMO.

I've never used a hose attachment, green gas in a well built gun does really well. 

Matrix .25g Match BBs from Evike do really really well in my guns. 

Yep, a TM will fit in an STI Racemaster just fine. 

A couple of TMs I've put together....

airsoft.JPG

Alpha Airsoft is a great place to purchase slides, upgrades, etc.. 

They have about the best selection I've seen......when in stock.  Not cheap.  Was pretty disappointed that the Airsoft Masterpiece hybrid barrel gotten through them was pitifully welded on though.

Upgraded mag seals is also an essential upgrade IMO.

What drove you to upgrade yours?

Curious as I've got a bunch of mags, all working well.  Just improved seal for gas efficiency?

I've never used a hose attachment, green gas in a well built gun does really well. 

I used propane with silicone for a long, long time.  Air source is more consistent, not temperature sensitive, gives better consistent stable power and thus more consistent accuracy, as well as general recoil function, etc.  The cooldown on rapid shooting with propane, especially when wanting to refill mags and keep practicing was noticeable.  

And I live in Texas where colder climate isn't that big of a deal compared to other parts of the country, but going to air compressor allows for consistent use in all types of weather and as much shooting as I want.

I used to only swear by propane for a long time due to not wanting to do the compressor thing, but the consistent performance is significant.  

A new hop up and inner barrel will definitely make the gun shoot better.

They do, but not sure that is a *necessary* upgrade needed right away.  Some of the targets I'm using are the Tactrainers 3gun set at 18feet, and out of the box, the AW and TM both hit those easily shot after shot, so the accuracy is already there.  What got you to upgrade the hop bucking and barrel and/or what aspects are you working that utilized the extra cost?  (I'm curious about improving practice opportunity)

42 minutes ago, AustinWolv said:

They have about the best selection I've seen......when in stock.  Not cheap.  Was pretty disappointed that the Airsoft Masterpiece hybrid barrel gotten through them was pitifully welded on though.

What drove you to upgrade yours?

Curious as I've got a bunch of mags, all working well.  Just improved seal for gas efficiency?

I used propane with silicone for a long, long time.  Air source is more consistent, not temperature sensitive, gives better consistent stable power and thus more consistent accuracy, as well as general recoil function, etc.  The cooldown on rapid shooting with propane, especially when wanting to refill mags and keep practicing was noticeable.  

And I live in Texas where colder climate isn't that big of a deal compared to other parts of the country, but going to air compressor allows for consistent use in all types of weather and as much shooting as I want.

I used to only swear by propane for a long time due to not wanting to do the compressor thing, but the consistent performance is significant.  

They do, but not sure that is a *necessary* upgrade needed right away.  Some of the targets I'm using are the Tactrainers 3gun set at 18feet, and out of the box, the AW and TM both hit those easily shot after shot, so the accuracy is already there.  What got you to upgrade the hop bucking and barrel and/or what aspects are you working that utilized the extra cost?  (I'm curious about improving practice opportunity)

Yes, the mag seals seal up much better.  I thought my stock ones were working well too... until I upgraded. 

I started with propane and silicone... but A. it stinks, B. pistols can be temperamental about gas/lube ratio when your really using them.

I shot uspsa style matches with mine, so the whole compressor/hose thing isn't really an option.  Green gas was the way to go, and unless we had particularly cool nights (we shot indoors in a non climate controlled warehouse/office building setting) the green gas ran fine.  Keep the gas bottles warm, and refiling isn't an issue.  A cold mag actually makes it easier.

I consider a new Inner barrel "necessary" if you are upgrading.  18 feet is close.  We had 10-15yd targets on stages pretty regularly... you really notice a difference the further out you get.

11 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

Yes, the mag seals seal up much better.  I thought my stock ones were working well too... until I upgraded. 

I started with propane and silicone... but A. it stinks, B. pistols can be temperamental about gas/lube ratio when your really using them.

I shot uspsa style matches with mine, so the whole compressor/hose thing isn't really an option.  Green gas was the way to go, and unless we had particularly cool nights (we shot indoors in a non climate controlled warehouse/office building setting) the green gas ran fine.  Keep the gas bottles warm, and refiling isn't an issue.  A cold mag actually makes it easier.

I consider a new Inner barrel "necessary" if you are upgrading.  18 feet is close.  We had 10-15yd targets on stages pretty regularly... you really notice a difference the further out you get.

You are shooting full-size targets for those matches?

Your comments all point to differences based on usage model, as I was referencing practice considerations with scaled targets, so I see your point in terms of your usage experience in that context.

Yes, air compressor with hose isn't an option for match conditions.  Again, different usage model, as it appeared people in this thread were talking about practice setups.

17 hours ago, AustinWolv said:

You are shooting full-size targets for those matches?

Your comments all point to differences based on usage model, as I was referencing practice considerations with scaled targets, so I see your point in terms of your usage experience in that context.

Yes, air compressor with hose isn't an option for match conditions.  Again, different usage model, as it appeared people in this thread were talking about practice setups.

No. We shoot 2/3 scale airsoft targets... and airsoft steel. 

My comments all point to setting up an airsoft rig that is as similar to a "real" rig as possible.  

My rig IS a "practice setup", but our practice evolved into matches.  So why limit yourself?  

For standing in one spot I can see where compressed air would be nice, but I do very little standing in one spot while practicing, furthermore, you cannot practice reloads with that setup... which the airsoft rig works great for. 

Also, It's hard for me to imagine that a hose connected to my gun would not affect the way the gun feels during draw and transitions.  

So why limit yourself?  

If it works for you, great.  

Green gas is overpriced propane, which does not give stable performance without additional hassle.  For a mag here and there for stages/airsoft matches that you mention, cooldown probably isn't an issue.  Hence, why the overseas guys are running through stages just fine.  For those wanting high-volume practice at home for basically free, different story.

you cannot practice reloads with that setup... which the airsoft rig works great for.

Again, if that works for you, great.  I prefer not to drop GBB mags on garage floors or have to hit padded drop boxes like the overseas IPSC types do.  Busting feed lips on airsoft mags is not a fun activity. 

I've got dryfire real mags with the real gun for reload work.

For standing in one spot I can see where compressed air would be nice

Entirely valid.  Movement is possible with compressor setup, but limited by what hose length you want to use and what room/facility you are using.  Clearly nobody above was advocating using an compressor setup for mock stages or match use.  

That being said, movement work is feasible but not a free environment that green gas/propane mags give you.  Doesn't mean that a person can't do BOTH options, having mags set up for high-volume work with a compressor and then some other mags left stock for green gas/propane-centric drills when more movement freedom is desired.  

One method is not the only solution.

It's hard for me to imagine that a hose connected to my gun would not affect the way the gun feels during draw and transitions.  

As mentioned above, without slack in the hose, can feel it when trying to settle on the first target.  Without slack in the hose, you'd feel it pull when moving around, sure.  The hose is flexible with lots of slack, haven't noticed it throwing anything off at all.  So for static shooting or limited movement shooting, not an issue.

Thanks a bunch to both of you!

I think anyone can see that there are advantages to both propellents.

I shoot USPSA and I'm unaware of anyone running a local airsoft match, but I'll keep my eyes open.

For now, I have a large heated shop and shop air, so for practicing shot calling, seeing my sights etc, compressed air seems a good start.

I can always use green gas/propane when the weather improves and I want to shoot outside.

Back to the original idea as to which gun is best, I have a few more questions:

I would want to match my Bomar/Dawson sights as I see this as reinforcing my sight picture. I don't much care for the rounded rear sight on the AW.  Can the sights be changed on the AW?  Will the TM replacement sights work on the AW?

I like that the AW looks more like my STI, but if price weren't an issue would the TM/slide/barrel be a better choice?

Are the grips on both guns roughly the same size as a 2011?

I'm sure that the accuracy is gun dependent, but roughly what size group at what distance should I expect?

I really appreciate all the input on this!

Can the sights be changed on the AW?

It can definitely be removed, but I honestly haven't had time to look for a compatible replacement.  I do know the rear sight used on the aftermarket slide for the TM is not compatible with the AW slide.  Thus, I'm assuming other TM-based aftermarket sights aren't going to drop onto the AW slide.

if price weren't an issue would the TM/slide/barrel be a better choice?

As in the aftermarket TM-compatible slide/barrel stuff?  The weight and material quality of the aftermarket slide is nicer than the AW stock slide, yes.  You'll want to upgrade the recoil spring and spring guide if you go that route.

Are the grips on both guns roughly the same size as a 2011?

Yes

I'm sure that the accuracy is gun dependent, but roughly what size group at what distance should I expect?

Haven't tested it in group shooting, but I can say that I regularly shoot 18-20ft in the garage on 1" steel targets, and both the TM and AW will hit it every time.  Farther than that, I don't have any data since I don't set stuff up in the backyard or what have you. Just the scaled targets in the garage.

Thanks again for all the info!

1" at 20' is way better than I hoped!

So all I need to do is find a bomar rear that will fit on the AW.  Sweet!

I'll do some looking around and see what I can find.

I can fab up some plate racks and poppers while I await delivery :-)

• 7 months later...