Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smoke or no Smoke

Canine582

I know that a lead, blue lubed bullet will smoke a lot with TG.  If you can take a second and share, what powder have your found that produces less smoke with like bullet in a 9MM.  I load mostly 147"s and some 124's.  I know a " cooler " powder is the right direction, but what has worked for you.

Thanks

If you're using a traditional lubed lead bullet, it's going to smoke. It's the lube that produces the majority of the smoke. If you change to a coated lead bullet, the smoke from the old style lube (beaswax based) will disappear. I've read where TG and coated produce smoke, I don't use that powder so I can't comment. Ditch the old lube. Use up what you have and go coated.

My son shoots 147gr Blue Bullets with 3.4gr Titegroup in his STI DVC & Glock 34 with no more smoke than factory ammo. I was told if you don't over crimp the bullet and keep the coating intact it will not smoke. Seems to work.

gerritm

I'd given up on TG with lube lead bullets because of all the billowing clouds of smoke, but the coated bullets are a different story.  Here what I use in my Glock 17L with Lone Wolf Barrel.

(Wow, gerrtim posted almost the exact same load just before I could hit submit!)

Bullet:  Blue Bullet Coated 147 gr. RN
Powder:  Hodgdon Titegroup 3.2 grs.
Primer:  Winchester Small Pistol
Case:  Federal
LOAL:  1.145

Edited by pbcaster45

Tite group does smoke with coated bullets.  

I think coated lead is gonna smoke nonmatter what but titegroup does seem to smoke a little worse. 

Is it so so bad that it would ruin your chances at winning? I don't know. 

I've heard people say it's really only an issue on stages with low sun over a berm. 

I don't shoot lead anymore. 

I have loaded BBI with N320. I like that combo.m but don't shoot it anymore.   

TiteGroup is smokey. no matter what bullet, even the MG JHPs. Try BE-86 or Solo 1000. There is no smoking allowed on the range I shoot at..... Yup, Bear Creek moly bullets on top of TG.   Plus, get your blood lead checked. Mine got up to 28 running Bear Creeks, switched to Bayous, and it dropped down to 8 in just 6 months.

image36054.jpg

4 hours ago, Canine582 said:

I know that a lead, blue lubed bullet will smoke a lot with TG.  If you can take a second and share, what powder have your found that produces less smoke with like bullet in a 9MM.  I load mostly 147"s and some 124's.  I know a " cooler " powder is the right direction, but what has worked for you.

Thanks

I have 9K of the blue lube, not coated, 147 lead bullets.  So I need to see if there is a powder that might produce less smoke than TG.  I guess I need someone who has had the same experience as myself, and switched to another powder that in fact produced less smoke.  All I know is my TG supply will only be used for plated or FMJ from now on.  Thanks

That's easy. EVERYTHING smokes less than titegroup under a coated bullet.

N320 is the most expensive but cleanest

Other options I personally have used and liked:

Clays (147 only)

Solo 1000

WST 

Nobel Sport Prima V

Ramshot Comp (wide velocity swings, practice only for me)

9 minutes ago, 57K said:

In case I missed it with a quick glance over the previous posts, Alliant has just introduced a new spherical powder specifically for this purpose, coated bullets with low flame temp while in a similar burn rate range if you load plated or jacketed.

Also, in regard to the Vectan NobelSport powders, Prima V has been mentioned and N320 is quite popular for this application as well. Ba 9 1/2 is Vectan's equivalent of N320. It's sold in 1/2 Kilo quantities starting with 1.1# containers. It cost less if you can find it. You can buy it online, and I got an email earlier from Graf & Sons announcing that they are lowering their Haz-Mat fee to $20. Last time I ordered from them you could by powder and primers under one single Haz-Mat fee.

thanks

I have to correct myself.  I have 9K 145gr. bullets ( with blue lube ).  I also have 8# of N340.  VV has date for my bullet at 3.9 start charge.  I'm loading up 50 tonight and will see how much or little she smokes in the morning and report./

I'll load some at 3.9/4.1/ and 4.3 (max)

Sorry guys, but weather is super tomorrow.

Edited by Canine582

1 minute ago, 57K said:

Canine582, there was a similar conversation in another thread so I looked at some data. Depending on barrel length, 3.9 grs. of N340 could get you very close to 130 PF while N340 is a very pressure stable powder. If I were in your shoes with the 145 gr. Blues and N340, I would certainly give it a try.

I will brother, and report tomorrow

M&P Pro

Edited by Canine582

I regularly shoot cast lubed bullets in 9mm.

Like Red Dot with my 155s. Not much smoke, gun stays much cleaner than it did with TG or Bullseye, very soft recoil, 2.6gr makes minor from a G17. I'd try 2.8/9 with a 147.

Honestly I never thought Bullseye smoked bad, but it never failed to raise questions from someone if I had an audience.

You will never get anywhere near smoke free from a traditional lubed lead bullet.

44 minutes ago, Beef15 said:

I regularly shoot cast lubed bullets in 9mm.

Like Red Dot with my 155s. Not much smoke, gun stays much cleaner than it did with TG or Bullseye, very soft recoil, 2.6gr makes minor from a G17. I'd try 2.8/9 with a 147.

Honestly I never thought Bullseye smoked bad, but it never failed to raise questions from someone if I had an audience.

You will never get anywhere near smoke free from a traditional lubed lead bullet.

Well as luck would have it, I have some RD and will try that at some point here soon.  I also saw the 3.4 in the Lyman.  Thanks guys I'll get to work and report soon.

I used PP/N340/Univ. for my smoke test.  For a quick update, the N340 smoked by far the least.  the other two were about the same.  I had some rounds with TG, and as you can imagine, it smoked the most.  I went from 3.4 to 4.3 of the N340 with a 145 gr. LRN.  The difference between the 3.4 - 4.3 as far as smoke, wasn't that much.  So if you have lots of blue lube cast bullets you need to shoot, and want to use them for a match, the N340 is a good starter for smoke control. 

I will load up some RD tomorrow and see what happens, and report. 

On 2/19/2017 at 6:26 AM, Bullets said:

Tg does smoke a ton with coated. Try n320 or w231. N320 produces the least amount of smoke. W231 still has noticeably less smoke than tg as well.

Agreed. I am using W231 / HP38 with coated rounds. Tiny little poof of smoke.