Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 hammer choices

paul788

5 hours ago, alecmc said:

i'm impressed that the wolf primers performed better then the winchesters. I would of assumed wolf primers were hard as a rock.

anybody else have similar results?

I had some loads with wolf primers to test in my CZ P-09's and decided to try some in the 929 for the hell of it.

I never tried wolf primers in the 929 before I did all of the work to it, so I can't say for sure if the extended firing pin, .040" moon clips and bobbed hammer are the reason they worked 100% better than the Winchester primers.

I've never had reliable ignition with Winchester primers in my 929 anyway, unless the trigger pull was at least 9 lbs , even with all of the work done to it.

I can say for sure that they ignite better with the bobbed hammer compared to the factory hammer, and with a 2lb lighter trigger pull now.

I really like these ones from Brownells.  I put one on my 625 and it gives a very precise sight picture.  They didn't have the .125 wide notch at the time.  That would have been better for IPSC and speed steel. 

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/rear-sights/competition-rear-sight-blade-kit-prod323.aspx

I really like these ones from Brownells.  I put one on my 625 and it gives a very precise sight picture.  They didn't have the .125 wide notch at the time.  That would have been better for IPSC and speed steel. 

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/rear-sights/competition-rear-sight-blade-kit-prod323.aspx

I had one of those. They bend easily and change your elevation. I'm back to a factory rear blade, .160 high.

Decided to switch back to round gun and ordered a 929.  Apex website states "out of stock" on N-frame hammers.  Wait or get out the Dremel?  If I cut is there a
diagram available to show where to cut to or is it hack till it looks good?  Does the firing pin need to be changed out or should I try it as is?

Thanks
Paul Beck

Joe at Mojo Custom does great revolver work. He slicked up my 929 and customizes his own hammer. Awesome service and the gun runs great! 82ae5688343f9ad592e33b090f667652.jpgb25259cd699d1854f06db52f9cea6115.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Personally Id rather bob the OEM hammer. They are plenty hard, its already timed to the gun whereas an aftermarket "drop in" may throw it off time, and they reliably ignite with a action job to 5.75 to 6lb trigger pull (federal primers required). Not to mention its cheaper, a little mechanical ability to grind and polish is all that needed and its a free upgrade. Even if you pay a gunsmith to do it your looking at a $50 job vs. 150 and up for after market hammers. You just saved $100 dollars for the 6 lb action job of which is the more important element to function and usability. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just dropped in an Apex N-Frame IV and a Wolf spring kit and extended pin I'm down to the below.  The hammer doesn't really move much but still punches out the same distance so I hope it work testing it in the morning.

Update:  The sear is not catching back to work I go.

Edited by deerassassin22

I have just figured out a drop in kit that gives a 6lb. DA  starting pull, relaxing to 4lb DA pull before the hammer falls, similar to the way a compound bow works. This is with well seated Federal primers. It can be adjusted upward to work with any primers. It will still be a while to get to market, but I have 2 working prototypes now that are doing nicely. More R&D, filing patents, fundraising, possible outsourcing, etc. still to do. Only been working on this one 25 years or so. As far as I can tell, no one else has ever figured this out.

Edited by Toolguy

25 years !

Were you waiting for the 929 to be designed ?

I didn't lock the tension screw and had a couple of misfires on the 5th stage at the last steel match I attended.

I checked it, and it was around 6 lbs after 100 + rounds fired. It was 6.5 before the match.

I set it back to 6.5 and it ran like a champ.

Time to tack weld it in place and be done with it until toolguy starts selling kits !

I have just figured out a drop in kit that gives a 6lb. DA  starting pull, relaxing to 4lb DA pull before the hammer falls, similar to the way a compound bow works. This is with well seated Federal primers. It can be adjusted upward to work with any primers. It will still be a while to get to market, but I have 2 working prototypes now that are doing nicely. More R&D, filing patents, fundraising, possible outsourcing, etc. still to do. Only been working on this one 25 years or so. As far as I can tell, no one else has ever figured this out.

Put me down for at least 1, you make great products! I can't wait!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yep- Blue LocTite. Clean the screw and the hole first with brake parts cleaner, put on plenty and wipe off the extra. Not cleaning first can leave dirt and oil that makes the LocTite not work as well.

18 hours ago, alecmc said:

Weld it in place ?

Just spend the 3 dollars on a bottle of blue loctite.

Just a little welding humor.

I'm a welder and I know if I tack weld it, it'll never back out !!!

I have every type of Loctite available to man. I was just testing it before locking it in place and couldn't believe that it would back out so soon.

I think I'm just gonna do the file method, Loctite and be done with it.

All it'll need is a toolguy hammer cam kit and I'll be sitting pretty.