Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring for 6 inch slide

Krumble

I have a 6" 2011 in .45 ACP and am thinking of  trying different recoil spring weights for different loads but I am new to changing out recoil springs. The gun came from the factory with a reverse plug of the type that is listed as taking a standard 5" 1911 spring.  On comparing the factory recoil spring to the factory springs in my two 5" .45 ACP 1911s and one 5" 9mm 2011 I notice that the free length of the spring from the 6" gun is .250" longer than the springs from the other three guns which are all exactly the same length as each other.  All four guns have exactly the same length space to house the springs, taking into account the reverse plug of the 6" gun which prevents the spring from entering the last inch towards the muzzle.

I am wondering if the 6" gun can in fact take standard 5" springs with its reverse plug or whether I need to look for a custom length spring .250" longer.  Help and advice from more experienced shooters would be appreciated. 

Thanks Phil. I have now counted the coils of the recoil springs. Despite being 1/4 inch longer at 6.25" free length, the spring in the 6" gun has 32 active coils, the same as the springs in the three 5" guns.  I have just read somewhere that 6-6.5" free length springs with 32 active coils are pretty standard for 5" guns.  So I guess I am good to go and order some 5" springs and get out to the range for some testing.

Does anyone use shock buffers?  Opinions seem pretty divided on those.

Edited by Krumble