Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm spinner load

Eric1231

I am reloading for 3 gun a couple of the local matches have spinners that you shoot with a handgun. Does anybody have a 9 mm load that they would recommend for a spinner. I thought I would try something a little hotter than the 147g bullets at 890 ft per second. How fast can I push a 147 bullet safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a 147 grain Montana Gold bullet with a max charge from the Vitavory manual for 3n38 it makes major in a Glock 34 at 1150 in my STI Steelmaster is around 1050. Sorry I did not post teh actual load I don't have it handy right now. But the manual is a free online. 

pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

4 hours ago, Eric1231 said:

I am reloading for 3 gun a couple of the local matches have spinners that you shoot with a handgun. Does anybody have a 9 mm load that they would recommend for a spinner. I thought I would try something a little hotter than the 147g bullets at 890 ft per second. How fast can I push a 147 bullet safely.

What kind of pistol is it for? 2011 where you can long load?

Test some of these loads or the Winchester NATO 124. It makes close to 156 PF and you don't need to buy new powder for a couple rounds. In my experience getting fast hits is more important than the raw PF for a spinner. Try it for yourself and remember you need to go one for one on this target for the best time.

Having tried loading for spinners, I would warn you against it. The extra hassle of running two loads in no way paid off. Now, I shot the same minor PF load for everything, but I actually know how to shoot spinners. 

My suggestion, buy a spinner. That's what I did, and it was worth every penny.

Having tried loading for spinners, I would warn you against it. The extra hassle of running two loads in no way paid off. Now, I shot the same minor PF load for everything, but I actually know how to shoot spinners. 

Knowing how is huge but a different load does help and gave me a stage win a few years back in a pistol spinner stage b

Where did you get your spinner from

6.7gr of Accurate #7 under a 147gr coated lead bullet is an actual book load in the Accurate powder manual, they claim 1049 FPS, and out of my CZ P-09 averaged 1067 FPS.  That should get that steel moving.

I would love to hear how many shots it took to spin it completely with minor power factor 147 grain 9mm loads.  I bet it was at least 9-10.  It's important to know how to shoot a spinner, but shooting it with a 9mm minor load is going to take a loooong time.

Use whatever powder charge you use for your 115-125gr bullets with a 145-165gr bullet. Make sure they look different from your regular rounds. Load them when needed for spinners or heavy steel, etc.